Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 11, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #5,776 of 6,302
Looking at Dekoni’s ear pad options, I see several velour, but none specifically for Oppo headphones.

Of the other headphone models for which Dekoni sells pads, does anyone care to guess which are closest in size to the PM-3?

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #5,778 of 6,302
Well not sure how much longer they’ll offer the service but I just sent my pm-3 back to Menlo Park for new pads and a new headband for $99. 25% of retail isn’t cheap but I’m hoping this gives them another 5 years. Might pick up a couple extra sets of their pads to keep around for the next 10-15 years if I’m lucky. I agree that the pleather isn’t the greatest but for sound and aesthetics I prefer the stock pads.

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #5,779 of 6,302
The ear pads are relatively easy to change yourself. I just did that.oppo still has a few sets, contact them and they send you a link to purchase.

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #5,780 of 6,302
The ear pads are relatively easy to change yourself. I just did that.oppo still has a few sets, contact them and they send you a link to purchase.
You do not really need original pads, we already discussed it several times, there are several replacements available one of these is brainwavz angled memory foam earpad available in pleather, sheepskin and
Velour. Also procedure is well documented in that thread with photo of results. IMO brainwavz way better than original pads.

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #5,781 of 6,302
You do not really need original pads, we already discussed it several times, there are several replacements available one of these is brainwavz angled memory foam earpad available in pleather, sheepskin and
Velour. Also procedure is well documented in that thread with photo of results. IMO brainwavz way better than original pads.

Personally, I haven't seen any photos with aftermarket pads that I thought looked good. Especially the ones where the pad is wrapped around the housing. It's just a personal thing, but that's why I went with the original pads.

*You don't need to send your set to Oppo to get new pads, but you do need to ship them if you want the headband replaced.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #5,782 of 6,302

You might not need them but you might want them.

With the PM-3 I stick with the originals. All aftermarket ones I tried sounded worse.

For my PM-2 I have some cool sheepskins that are quite good as well for my TH-900 (brainwave, Dekoni) but Oppo really has done a fantastic job with the stock pads sound wise.

That’s my opinion.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #5,784 of 6,302

I just tried these pads and am sorry to say that they're not a great improvement. As someone else said here, they elevate the treble and deep bass, but lessen the impact in the mid bass and mute the mids and vocals region.

I was able to slide them overtop of the earcups themselves though, so they do fit, it's just a bit of a stretch.

I'll stick with the replacement Oppo pads, which you can still get for $45 from them: https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RPPM3EPW

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #5,786 of 6,302
Hi, I am using the brainwavz angled pads and love them more than the original. However, I have the sheepskin variety. I feel that the bass is better and the clarity , depth , details is better

Same here, using sheepskin and love the way headphones seats with them and sound definitely not touched in the bad way, may be a bit improved.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #5,787 of 6,302
I just tried these pads and am sorry to say that they're not a great improvement. As someone else said here, they elevate the treble and deep bass, but lessen the impact in the mid bass and mute the mids and vocals region.

I was able to slide them overtop of the earcups themselves though, so they do fit, it's just a bit of a stretch.

I'll stick with the replacement Oppo pads, which you can still get for $45 from them: https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RPPM3EPW
I am also using the sheepskin leather pad. Or I should say I "did" use it, because I jumped up the IEM route after listening to the PM3s for 3 years. I mainly listened to the ProPhile 8 IEM which is rather neutral, and now I am listening to the Focal Stellia. But right now, being on vacation I still have the PM3s with me.

However, I have to agree with you. Coming back to the PM3s with the Brainwavz pads I find that you are right. Not that I don't mind a bit more sub bass or treble BUT the problem here is, that the mids take a step back, which I also don't like that much. Do you also have a link for the original pads in black color and for purchase in Europe?

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #5,790 of 6,302

I wonder if the p leather version of the brainwavz pad sounds the same as the sheepskin version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back