Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,796 of 6,313
When he quoted me he said $127 but your needs may cost you more or less. In the end I ended up making my own.

I ordered the Eidolic 3.5mm TRRS plug... How the heck did you solder four wires to those tiny contacts! Any helpful tips appreciated.

Peter

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,798 of 6,313
gs1000.gif
Four days in.....and i'm absolutely loving my PM-3's. Pure joy !!!  

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #3,801 of 6,313
  Do you own both the Sine's and the PM3's at the same time??? If so can you provide a comparison? 

I do.  Ive put an update on the Sine thread here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/793518/audeze-sine-series/270  Didnt want to post twice but ill put an update on.

so i pulled the trigger and am now listening to the Sine.  First impressions straight out of the box are im not sure...  Im coming from PM3 so maybe spoilt but there dosent appear to be much difference.  Bass seems more prominent kicks a little more and the overall sound, sounds a bit fuller more body to it, its hard to volume match but getting it close.  

The Sine is detailed and matches the PM3 id say soundstage and seperation sound about the same, vocals are also very close.  Bass definately more of it but i think the PM3 employs it better, maybe this will come with a good few hours burn in and become more controlled.  I remember feeling the same about the PM3 when i first got them.  Not too sure on highs sound about the same to me although ive never had a problem with them in the PM3 and wouldnt know what a rolled off high was.

overall the Sine sounds a bit quicker with more body where the PM3 sounds crisper and detailed but less if you know what i mean.  Going to give them two or three days burn in with white / pin / brown noise mixed in with music and see how they sound then.

little update, after 24 hours burn in the bass seems to have settled down and is much less boomy sounds better overall as well, i found the word i was looking for to describe the sound the Sine seems energetic and the PM3 clinical, both have there good points but i just had a half hour listening and it was very nice and fun to listen too ive gone from not sure to Yes, a definate yes 

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3,802 of 6,313
Had the PM3's for a couple months now and have 300+ hours on them

Also traveled from UK to USA using them all the way with no discomfort - They isolate very well - you still hear the roar of the engines but
at a level that doesn't effect you + the audio from the films playing was perfect

>> One thing worht mentioning was how they really only came into their own after the 250 hour mark - seemed to pass some
magic point and now they sound so beautifully balanced
In general I am not a fan of smooth sounding headphones or 'rolled off treble' but I find the PM3 to be spot on now in so many ways

On the 'small-ish sound stage' some folks have mentioned:

I was listening to some AGK's which have a wide sound stage and realised
how a  large sound stage can sometimes distract from the music because you start to listen [too much] to the details that are happening 
in different areas of the space!
Sometimes, especially with older recordings where the instruments are often panned pretty far to the left and right I really enjoy being able
to spend time with and enjoy the different characteristics of the instruments. For me, I classify this as 'Audiophile listening' 
Other times I really want to enjoy the music and not seperate my mind off to the different elements within the music. Personally I classify these
times as my 'Music lover' times

ANYWAY, my point here is that the PM3 certainly replicates a wide sound stage when the record has been mixed that way BUT I find it does
a very coherent good job of presenting the music in a very mature and sensible way, and as such I can really enjoy the music.
It also does a very good of instrument seperation!
The tuning is just superb on these cans.
Would I like more treble? occasionally yes but then they would be a different headphone / experience and over all I really wouldn't want to
change what they have done here.

As with most quality headphones the PM3's can be a bit of a princess! Yeah they will play whatever you want BUT if you play the Highest quality
audio through an Audiophile DAP / AMP they really shine
A racing car will get you the shops just fine but put in on a race track and ....

I never really expected the PM3's to be my go to 'Audiophile headphone' but they are getting there.
What a truly great pair of headphones!

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #3,804 of 6,313
Mar 15, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,805 of 6,313
Agree.  I tried out a lot of headphones including a week with the PM-2 and PM-1. When it came to choosing I thought I was a bit odd but I bought the PM-3 over the PM-2. Being closed, cost and traveling portability were not factors, I just liked the PM-3 better.  This was months back and I still feel that way.  YMMV -- it's all personal preference at this level.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3,807 of 6,313
Just got these! Initial impressions are that there is nothing jaw dropping about the sound. That might actually be a compliment as nothing sticks out to me at this point. I suppose it is possible to praise a headphone for things it doesn't do. It has a very agreeable sound presentation with relaxed clarity, and detail. I am particularly liking its timbral accuracy and balance. The sound is pretty cramped into my head though, and that's the only knock I can give it. We'll see how this goes...

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,809 of 6,313
  Just got these! Initial impressions are that there is nothing jaw dropping about the sound. That might actually be a compliment as nothing sticks out to me at this point. I suppose it is possible to praise a headphone for things it doesn't do. It has a very agreeable sound presentation with relaxed clarity, and detail. I am particularly liking its timbral accuracy and balance. The sound is pretty cramped into my head though, and that's the only knock I can give it. We'll see how this goes...

Well put - Listening to other headphones really makes me appreciate how well tuned / balanced these are.
They are exceptional BUT it was only after the 200+ hour mark that they really, both settled down nicely and started to shine

They are I think for the more 'mature' listener... someone who appreciates more, balance and neutrality than someone who is newer
to headphones and may really like the 'bass' of beats or the sparkly treble of other headphones 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back