Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,341 of 6,302
Well, assuming money is no object as long as it's $500 or below... would you say the Shure's then? I know I do trust Shure since I liked my 440 and also liked the 940 when I tried them. But I was really curious about planar magnetic headphones as well. My main reasons for staying off the Sennheizers was their demand for an amp at all times. Lastly there's the Mr. Speakers, which I just have no experience with but have heard about here on Head-Fi quite a lot.

So I figure it's really down to the Shure, HiFiMan, and Oppos, maybe the Mr. Speakers.

But yeah, basically the situation is I have $500 to burn on this either which way. I just care about what's best among them.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,342 of 6,302
  Well, assuming money is no object as long as it's $500 or below... would you say the Shure's then? I know I do trust Shure since I liked my 440 and also liked the 940 when I tried them. But I was really curious about planar magnetic headphones as well. My main reasons for staying off the Sennheizers was their demand for an amp at all times. Lastly there's the Mr. Speakers, which I just have no experience with but have heard about here on Head-Fi quite a lot.

So I figure it's really down to the Shure, HiFiMan, and Oppos, maybe the Mr. Speakers.

But yeah, basically the situation is I have $500 to burn on this either which way. I just care about what's best among them.

well since u need it to work without an amp as well, i would recommend the PM-3. Wait for a refurbished $319 pair if u can, they r basically like new. Ur curiosity will always be on the back of ur mind in regards to planar magnetics. U can also try to see if the loaner program is still active here on head-fi. That way u can hear them before purchase. 

I was in the market for every headphone u just listed (minus the alpha dog) and decided on the M2's because of pricing. I think they sound great as well, but did like the sound of the PM-3 and 1540s better. I prefer closed for both home and portable use because of better bass and less disturbance for others around me.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #2,343 of 6,302
Alright. If anyone can give more comparisons Oppo 3 to the SRH1540 and HiFiMAN HE-400i, it'd be great. Those are the three I'm down to now I think, thanks!

I think the Dogs are a bit out of my range so I'm writing them off.

Edit: Wait, Shure also has the 1840s. How are those? Throw those onto the list as well. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #2,344 of 6,302
Some comparisons:

vs HD580/600/650 - I consider these phones to be more or less the same. Comfort wise the Sennheisers win, but they're open back so it doesn't really count. Sound wise I prefer the PM-3s much more. I ended up selling my HD580s and HD650s if that tells you anything.

vs LCD-2s - The LCD-2s win hands down in the sound department, but they're so uncomfortable it doesn't matter that much. I ended up selling my LCD-2s due to the comfort issue.

vs PM2s - This is the next model in the Oppo range, it is open back but actually doesn't seem to leak that much sound. Comfort wise it beats the PM3 because it's open back and the cushions are larger and deeper. I also prefer the sound of the PM2, but I don't think that the PM3 is that far behind. I'm using the PM2s for at-home listening and the PM3s for office and travel.

My only issue with the PM3s is that the earcups are somewhat small and make my ears hot.
I tried a replacement earpad from Brainwavz but the sound signature changed too much (loss of bass).
So I'm still looking for an earpad mod to make it more comfortable. Otherwise I have no complaints,
the PM3 is a very good all-rounder phone at a great price.

YMMV etc.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,345 of 6,302
Have you ever owned the Shure or the HiFiMAN?

I think in the end, for me, it's come down to Shure 1840 vs Shure 1540 vs HiFiMAN HE400i vs Oppo PM-3.

I just talked with my dad, he said he'd really appreciate it if i keep it closer to the $2 or $300 side of things (this is a birthday gift). I think I might be looking at eBay or something.

I don't think I really mind open back vs closed back anymore. I live at home alone. I think I'll just go for whatever, and if it's open-back, get some IEMs or something for on-the-go.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #2,347 of 6,302
  Are most people saying the soundstage is crappy just comparing them to open-back headphones? I mean, I would just assume that no closed-back headphone is as good as an open by nature.

Does anyone have any input of Oppo PM-3 vs...

Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog

Shure SRH1540

HiFiMAN HE-400i

Senheizer HD600

Sennheizer HD650

..?

Out of those headphones, I have heard the PM-3, the 400i (which I own), and the HD650. Since it seems like you've also heard the Shure SRH940, I'll throw that into the comparison as well.

For soundstage, I would actually say that the 400i has the biggest overall soundstage in comparison to the other three headphones that I mentioned. (Though one has to keep in mind that the soundstage of the 400i is somewhat small compared to other open-backed headphones). The SRH940 is probably a bit wider in its soundstage than the 400i, but it has noticeably less depth. The HD650 is slightly less deep in its soundstage compared to the 400i, but width is significantly less. The PM-3 is definitely less wide in its soundstage than the 400i, but depth is almost comparable. In fact, I'd say that the PM-3 soundstage is kind of like the HD650, except that it's actually a bit wider and sounds are more separated than the HD650.

For imaging (clearly locating where sounds are coming from), I would have to say the 400i does the best job here. It not only precisely locates sounds to the left or right, it also somewhat gives you the locations of the sounds being closer or further to you. The PM-3 does left-right imaging equally well as the 400i, but at least to me everything sounds like they're the same distance away (kind of like a flat wall of sound kind of thing). The HD650 actually images left to right decently, but I really don't like how sounds can get kind of smashed together because the soundstage is small and a bit claustrophobic. I can't really tell you how the SRH940 performs here, because for some reason I can't really remember anything about the 940's imaging.

In terms of overall sound signature, I would say that the SRH940 is by far the brightest, followed by the 400i (which is already much less bright than the 940), then followed by the PM-3, and the HD650 is the darkest.

Starting from the bass, I believe that out of the 4 headphones, the SRH940 has the most uncontrolled and bloated bass. The HD650's bass is definitely better controlled, but still I think it isn't as well controlled or goes as deep as the PM-3 or the 400i's bass. Both the PM-3 and the 400i have nice, solid bass that isn't flabby and is quite textured (you are able to hear detail in the bass better). Between the PM-3 and the 400i's bass, I personally think that the 400i is slightly better in quality, but the difference isn't huge.

As for the midrange, the SRH940 is most the unremarkable here out of the 4 headphones. I don't think it's that bad, but I really can't remember anything special about it. The HD650 and the 400i both have great mids, as vocals really shine on both headphones. The PM-3 also has some great mids, with its slightly elevated mids making some vocals sound really powerful. The HD650 has the darkest (thickest sounding) mids, with the 400i being somewhat brighter, and the PM-3 even brighter than that - but really, the differences in tonality between those three headphones in the mids is not too big.

As for treble, the SRH940 is most prominent here, but it's a bit shrill to me and is sometimes sibilant. The HD650, PM-3, and the 400i are not sibilant at all. The HD650's treble is the most rolled off (and is somewhat off-putting to me, because I listen to a quite a fair amount of music where treble is needed), with the PM-3 being less rolled off, and the 400i being the second brightest next to the SRH940 (the 940 still being much brighter). I personally think that the 400i handles treble the best out of all of these headphones, with the PM-3 coming in second (I like the quality of the treble, but would like just a bit more) and the HD650 (too rolled off for me) and the SRH940 (too shrill) coming in after that.

A short note on comfort. SRH940 comfort is only ok, but not excellent - it's not extremely heavy, but it does tightly clamp your head a bit and the pads aren't the most comfortable things in the world. The HD650 is pretty comfortable - good pads, it's not even close to heavy, and it doesn't clamp your head very tightly (though the one I did listen to was already used for a while - I've heard they clamp kind of hard out of the box). The 400i is pretty comfortable - it's a bit heavy compared to the others, but the pads are very comfortable and the headband does an excellent job of distributing the weight around your head. The PM-3 is also pretty comfortable - doesn't clamp too hard, it's somewhat on the lighter side, and while the pads are comfortable they're not extremely breathable and so your ears can get a bit hot after wearing the headphones for several hours.

Overall, out of the 4 headphones I mentioned, I prefer the 400i and the PM-3 the most. If you want the best for gaming, anime, and movies, to me you'll want the headphone with the best imaging and the best soundstage, as well as something that has good quality bass to really immerse you. For that, I would recommend the 400i (biggest soundstage, excellent quality bass, and among the best imaging out of the headphones here) and the PM-3 (soundstage not as big, but still decent and has really good quality bass and has great imaging).

Whether to choose the 400i or the PM-3 really depends on what you're looking for in a headphone. If you want something that is somewhat easier to carry around, doesn't leak sound at all, get the closed-back PM-3. If you don't really care about the portability factor, get the 400i. Of course, there's the price difference too. I won't say too much on that except that I think the PM-3 and the 400i both are definitely worth their asking prices.

The HD650 is good if you want a more lush and romantic tone to your music, and if you want to be able to listen to music for hours and hours without any hint of fatigue. The SRH940 - well, I think you can tell I don't think of it very highly compared to the other three headphones.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,348 of 6,302
Okay then. Have you ever tried SRH1540 or 1840? They're the last ones I've yet to get much input about.

So far it sounds like the HiFiMAN might be the winner here. The main issue was price but I may have found a good deal, just need to ask them what their warranty/return policy will be. I think I'll have to keep it under $400 so if this doesn't work out I may have to just get the PM-3.

But yeah, would appreciate some input on those Shure models. They're all that's left on my list. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,349 of 6,302
I made a comment but it's pending mod approval.

I just wanted to add - I forgot to mention the Philip Fidelio X2. Any info on that?

So I'm pretty much down to HE400i, SRH1540/1840, Oppo PM-3, and Fidelio X2.

Thanks for the help!

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,350 of 6,302
I had the PM-3's for a week on the loaner program, comparing them to the NAD VISO HP-50's. I ended up deciding to stick with the HP50's, but after about a month, the PM-3's were haunting me - I prefer a more present treble, and that's what the Oppo's gave me. What I didn't like was when I played them straight out of the iPhone6. I happened to pick up a Cypher Labs Picollo amp, and then I decided to get a pair of the PM-3's. As I had hoped, the PM-3's through the Picollo sound great, and are the perfect match for my travel needs along with a set of CIEM's. I tested this on a flight back from  Hong Kong over the weekend, and switching between the 2 gave me 13 hours of  uninterrupted listening and ambient noise reduction :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,352 of 6,302
  Ah, is that to suggest the PM-3s aren't great without an amp?

Boy, I'm really divided now I think. It's down to PM-3, HE-400i, and SRH1840 for me.

The PM-3 is more sensitive and lower resistance than either of the other two you listed, so the PM-3 should at the very least get louder than the other two when run off a lower powered source.  Doesn't mean the PM-3 doesn't sound that little bit better with an amp.  It's also possible that the amp he added colored the sound just enough to make the PM-3 match his preferred sound.  But at least based on specs alone, the PM-3 should be the better of the three un-amped.  

I'm seriously considering the PM-3 myself actually.  I'm having a tough time making the jump too.

Keep in mind, I don't have any personal experience with your choices at this time.

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,355 of 6,302
I just felt they sounded better amped. Thy are plenty loud enough direct from the iPhone directly though.

Exactly!

You know, for some people "loud enough" is "good enough", but when you start comparing it amped vs non-amped and relative to other headphones, only then you start to appreciate the difference
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back