Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,327 of 6,313
I was very happy with Hidizs AP100 with the PM-3. I enjoyed it so much. Until I've decided to buy a balanced cable to use with my Theorem 720. And I never looked back. AP100 is very good but Theorem 720 is amazing! Great with the PM-3. To think I was already trying to sell my Theorem. The PM-3 made it stay and be my daily commute DAC/amp. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,329 of 6,313
  after it has a good 12 hours overnight playing music i think they sound a little better vocals seem more present and im getting detail ive not heard before.  I dont know if its me or something has changed in the actual headphone but i like them, i was enjoying listening to them so much so i have boxed up both my HP150s & HP200s in order to sell.  Now i just have to decide which amp to get.

from @twister6 review ive narrowed it down to the Cayin C5 or the HA2.  I can get the C5 for £110 or the HA2 at £249.  Anyone that has tried both, is the HA2 such a significant upgrade over the C5 that would justify spending more than double?

Also on the cable question.  What would be a decent cable.  Only have a Fiio X3ii but ill be looking to upgrade this to something else but not sure what i like the look of the astell&kern but they are very expensive.  What would be a decent cable that i can get here in the UK that wont cost a lot probably sub £30 or $50?

I've had both on hand for direct comparison. No question I personally prefer the HA-2. The concrete stuff you get from spending double is much improved build quality and additional features (smartphone charging, ability to use in a desktop set-up while charging, no need of additional adapters for iOS, and support for DSD). Dac chip used in the HA-2 is more 'premium' but it would be a mistake to judge sound quality solely on chip being used.

possible subjective improvements in sound quality (ymmv as everyone sees differently here). I personally feel that the C5DAC to be a good performer in its price bracket, but certain relative flaws in its performance can be teased out in direct comparisons. Definitely a bit more 'digital-sounding' to my ears. The HA-2 on the other hand I do feel is competitive even against mid-tier full-sized set-ups and provides excellent sound quality period.

The C5Dac I had via a review tour while I personally purchased the Oppo HA-2. Never had any quality concerns with the HA-2 and the HA-2 is the device I use for my FR measurements and I don't feel the need to upgrade in my portable dac/amp set-up at all. I strongly prefer the HA-2 over the C5Dac personally, (especially its ability to be used as a desktop dac/amp while charging is a major plus in allowing for more value/versatility over the C5Dac).

However, realistically, climbing the external component price ladder will yield much smaller sonic benefits than playing around with different headphones. Really more of a question of your budget and feature requirements than anything else I think.

this is just my personal perspective & opinion. ymmv

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,330 of 6,313
I had the PM-3 loaners for a week and played them extensively through the iDSD.  I thought they sounded just great and plan to buy a pair of PM-3s as a result of listening to them primarily through the iDSD Micro.  I also think the iDSD is often over-looked and/or under-rated so I wasn't surprised how good it sounded.

I am, however, just an amateur user and not an expert reviewer.  

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #2,331 of 6,313
  I had the PM-3 loaners for a week and played them extensively through the iDSD.  I thought they sounded just great and plan to buy a pair of PM-3s as a result of listening to them primarily through the iDSD Micro.  I also think the iDSD is often over-looked and/or under-rated so I wasn't surprised how good it sounded.

I am, however, just an amateur user and not an expert reviewer.  

Thanks mate, I'm skeptical of pro reviewers' opinions anyway, because many of them are sponsored by audio companies. There are some like Tyll Hertsens who are fair and objective but there's lots of money in audio business so not all pro reviewers are honest and objective like him. Thus, opinions like yours are important to me...

I agree with you that iDSD Micro is an amazing device. It's an end-game dac/amp for me and it sounds much more natural and organic than the Chord Hugo I had which was a major disappointment for me.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2,332 of 6,313
Maybe a lot of people are timid about comparing a $500 device to gear (or is that kit in Oz?) that costs several times more. I find the transducer to have the biggest impact followed by the amp and then the DAC.  For sure mixing and matching different components can produce different sound signatures but I am not so much into that as I am listening to the music.  In that regard, the iMicro DSD/PM-3 combination was very enjoyable.  I listened to it for hours on end--8 or 10 hrs one day when I was desk bound.  When I had to send them back I think I commented that I was busy and didn't have enough time with them.  When I said that I wasn't even thinking about the hours I worked with them on without even noticing them.  Bottom line: for me it was a good pairing.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #2,333 of 6,313
Black refurbs are back in stock as of this writing. SUPER TEMPTED to pull one for myself... but I've had enough expenses for the year t.t

I currently use Denon D600 and Meridian Explorer 2. D600 is too big and a bit loose for me to be on the go.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,334 of 6,313
  Black refurbs are back in stock as of this writing. SUPER TEMPTED to pull one for myself... but I've had enough expenses for the year t.t

I currently use Denon D600 and Meridian Explorer 2. D600 is too big and a bit loose for me to be on the go.

Aghrr!! Almost bought these again after the refurbs were re-stocked, but the Momentum 2.0 for $262 from the livesoundwave 25% off deal is just the better value. I've heard both and liked the PM-3 more, but not enough to really care about the difference in sound if pricing became a factor.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #2,337 of 6,313

Aghrr!! Almost bought these again after the refurbs were re-stocked, but the Momentum 2.0 for $262 from the livesoundwave 25% off deal is just the better value. I've heard both and liked the PM-3 more, but not enough to really care about the difference in sound if pricing became a factor.

My wife has the Momentum 2 and I demoed the PM-3 for a week.  Both are excellent phones.  I have no problem listening to both.  At $262 the Momentum is 2/3 the price of a PM-3 which makes its a pretty darn good deal.  That said I am going to buy the PM-3 since budget is not an issue.  I think it sounds as good as some phones costing 2X more or even higher. It's really subjective at this point. We all have different preferences and budget does matter. Enjoy the Momentums, they are for some a steal.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,338 of 6,313
I really want to demo a pair of these, the only place anywhere near me is out of stock - with no word when they will be back. My other choice was the Senn M2's which I enjoyed. 

As the thread is currently discussing the 2 headphones at this point, could anyone please give me some quick and dirty comparisons of the sound signature and other differences like isolation ect, basically anything you consider relevant? (impressions dont necessarily have to be dirty btw :D )

There are some good deals in the eu of the M2's right now and I really dont know if I should hold out for the pm3 / order from elswhere without audition or just bite the bullet and go with the M2's. So any comparisons would be appreciated.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,339 of 6,313
Are most people saying the soundstage is crappy just comparing them to open-back headphones? I mean, I would just assume that no closed-back headphone is as good as an open by nature.

Does anyone have any input of Oppo PM-3 vs...

Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog

Shure SRH1540

HiFiMAN HE-400i

Senheizer HD600

Sennheizer HD650

..?

All of those are in my considerations so far. I wanted to consider Audeze headphones but boy, they're just out of this world in price so I can't. I just have a feeling I'd love the LCD3, ah well.

I'm just asking because I'm doing a serious buy really soon. Need to replace my Shure SRH440. Unlike a lot of you it seems who have several headphones, I can only buy one and stick with it :/ this'll be my first purchase on headphones in 5 or 6 years. They'll have to be pretty much all-around headphones.

Worth noting that I like my SRH440, so something similar to that I guess. I don't really know, I just know I don't want anything too biased in any direction. Definitely reference headphones.

I listen to music and play lots of video games, and watch movies and anime etc with my headphones.

I may get a Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Uber as well, not sure yet though.

It's also worth noting that whatever I get needs to be able to work straight out of my iPhone 5S as well. Also, volume is important, needs to be able reach very high volumes without problem.

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2,340 of 6,313
  Are most people saying the soundstage is crappy just comparing them to open-back headphones? I mean, I would just assume that no closed-back headphone is as good as an open by nature.

Does anyone have any input of Oppo PM-3 vs...

Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog

Shure SRH1540

HiFiMAN HE-400i

Senheizer HD600

Sennheizer HD650

..?

All of those are in my considerations so far. I wanted to consider Audeze headphones but boy, they're just out of this world in price so I can't. I just have a feeling I'd love the LCD3, ah well.

I'm just asking because I'm doing a serious buy really soon. Need to replace my Shure SRH440. Unlike a lot of you it seems who have several headphones, I can only buy one and stick with it :/ this'll be my first purchase on headphones in 5 or 6 years. They'll have to be pretty much all-around headphones.

Worth noting that I like my SRH440, so something similar to that I guess. I don't really know, I just know I don't want anything too biased in any direction. Definitely reference headphones.

I may get a Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Uber as well, not sure yet though.

Thanks!

consider u can get that 25% off livesoundwave deal right now + audition (try the phones for 3 days and u can return them for a $30 fee). The Shure 1540 gets to around $375. I think it bests the Oppo PM-3, especially at that price point. You can find better deals on the HD600 and HD650 if u wait a little longer into the fall. The 400i r considered incredible, but pricing is just too much at $499 imo. U can't go wrong with any of them. The PM-3 is also a best buy at the refurbished price of $319, but those r now selling out really fast.

I'm all about diminishing returns now because a lot of these cans scale well with amps/dacs and those cost extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back