Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #3,151 of 3,729
I prefer the original leather pads by far. The other two are far inferior and to while it might alter the FR I find a horrible degradation in fidelity. I will say that the presentation of the other two with felt, seemingly made it more of a closed can which can imo be more of a cohesive sound for some genres and lesser quality recorded material but the openness is needed for these headphones to do it magic with quality recordings, especially live. Mmmmmmm. If I had a dollar for every time someone wrote about how their new hifi headphones made it seem like the musicians were giving them their own personal concert I'd be rich. So I tried to refrain from saying that but it's impossible not to when mentioning these headphones. These remind me of a great pair of speakers. I really wish oppo made a dynamic headphone. Theyre on the right track.

I have come to prefer the alternative lambskin earpads.  More treble presence, and better instrumental "bloom" IMHO.  But I should re-try the original lambskins and do an a/b.
Just swapped in a VenHaus cord (VH Flavor 2) to power the Lehmann BCL (this amp sounds great with the PM-1).  Huge improvement over the IeGo and/or MAC PC that was there before.  WAY better bass, dynamic relief and dimensionality with the PM-1 and the Flavor 2.  
Just ordered the Aural Thrills Active IC w/Teflon Silver plug upgrade.  Can't wait to hear what happens next!

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,152 of 3,729
I switched to the new lambskin pads too. I find the bass is very clear and there is more bloom without shout. The PM1 is great for digital, because the shout-factor of digital is addressed nicely and often ameliorated by the PM1, while it is annoying on other phones.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #3,154 of 3,729
Got some new Aural Thrills cables to try with the PM-1.
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,155 of 3,729
How big are the PM-1's earcup cutouts compared to the AKG K7xx or Sennheiser HD6xx?

Thanks,
Bill

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #3,156 of 3,729
  How big are the PM-1's earcup cutouts compared to the AKG K7xx or Sennheiser HD6xx?

Thanks,
Bill

The AKG K7xx is the biggest and deepest, next would be the Senns and the smallest would be the Oppo (although it may be deeper than the Senns although is otherwise closer to the ear in terms of circumference). For me, the Oppo is by far and away the most comfortable (before then the AKG K7-- series was my favorite in terms of comfort).

The Oppo happens to be just perfect for me ergonomically. I suffer from TMJ pain so pads that hit that area of my jaw typically are uncomfortable (with the notable exception of the AKG cans because their clamp is so light). I also hate when my ears are not fully enclosed in a circumaural can or when my ear touches the driver. My Q701 was just about perfect because my ear fit comfortably inside without hitting the driver. Even though it touched my TMJ ,the clamp was light. The Oppo is smaller and does not hit my TMJ, which is great. But my ears also fits inside fully. And they are just deep enough that my ear doesn't touch the driver or fabric covering it. So, the Oppo wins easily for me in terms of comfort, although I also like the Q701 a lot.

Now, I also have the new K7xx.  That ear pad is different and not as deep. Still comfy, but it annoys me a bit as my ear kind of touches the inside fabric. Not uncomfortable, but I just don't care for that feeling and that issue is completely absent from the Q701.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3,158 of 3,729
Am auditioning the Aural Thrills BCS (active) interconnects [with the Teflon-Silver upgraded plugs].
The soundstage really OPENS UP, and is laid out well, spatially, with these cables.  Very clean and detailed, too!  Nice complement to the Alternative Lambskin Earpads, striking an optimal balance for the treble response IMHO.
Even with my most modest equipment [Denon 1940CI-->Aural Thrills IC-->headphone out from the Linn Intek integrated], the PM-1 sound really nice.
Doris Day sings "The Christmas Waltz".
Can't wait to swap these Aural Thrills cables into my primary rig and hear the Oppos sing anew!
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #3,160 of 3,729
The AKG K7xx is the biggest and deepest, next would be the Senns and the smallest would be the Oppo (although it may be deeper than the Senns although is otherwise closer to the ear in terms of circumference). For me, the Oppo is by far and away the most comfortable (before then the AKG K7-- series was my favorite in terms of comfort).

The Oppo happens to be just perfect for me ergonomically. I suffer from TMJ pain so pads that hit that area of my jaw typically are uncomfortable (with the notable exception of the AKG cans because their clamp is so light). I also hate when my ears are not fully enclosed in a circumaural can or when my ear touches the driver. My Q701 was just about perfect because my ear fit comfortably inside without hitting the driver. Even though it touched my TMJ ,the clamp was light. The Oppo is smaller and does not hit my TMJ, which is great. But my ears also fits inside fully. And they are just deep enough that my ear doesn't touch the driver or fabric covering it. So, the Oppo wins easily for me in terms of comfort, although I also like the Q701 a lot.

Now, I also have the new K7xx.  That ear pad is different and not as deep. Still comfy, but it annoys me a bit as my ear kind of touches the inside fabric. Not uncomfortable, but I just don't care for that feeling and that issue is completely absent from the Q701.

I too suffer from tmj and the pm1 didn't agitate it with the leather pads but the velour did a little.
The pm1 driver is close to your ears and imo intentional as to focus the sound to your canal like an in ear reducing any in cup resonances. .

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #3,162 of 3,729
If you have TMJ, the Oppo would be nice. Also check out the Grado GS phones -- light as a feather with little pressure at all. But agreed, the Oppo feels like it's caressing you, especially with the velour pads. It feels like no other.
Also try the Grado RS phones with the flat pads. They just rest ever-so-gently on your ear; nothing on your jaw at all.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #3,163 of 3,729
I have a pair of these excellent headphones.

Now I want to get a stand for them.

Has anyone tried a Sieveking Omega with the PM-1s?

I like the way it looks better than the plastic stand from Oppo, but (presumably) the stand from Oppo fits the contour exactly.

The measurements for the Omega show it at least a half inch narrower than the chord across the PM-1's headband. Which means for all the graceful bentwood construction of the Omega, it might be not much better than hanging them off a coathanger (because if the contour doesn't match, then the weight isn't evenly distributed on the curve, only on the apex).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back