Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,137 of 3,729
Since I will use the Oppo HA-1 and PM-1 together, will I need a balanced cable or is it possible to use the regular cable?

The PM-1 comes with a high quality single ended cable and the HA-1 has connections for both single ended and balanced,
so no, you don't have to use the balanced option.
Balanced cables are available for purchase from Oppo and if you decide to get one, you should hear improvement in the sound.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,138 of 3,729
Hi there!

I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of these bad boys and had a couple of questions for owners:

1. Someone in here posted about using them for gaming. Will they drive well if I plug them directly into the Dulashock 4 of my PS4? 

2. Will they drive well on a macbook air/ipod classic? I plan to upgrade to a Pono player when they come out but for now I'm still very much in the i-device ecosystem.

Thanks for reading!

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #3,139 of 3,729
  Hi there!

I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of these bad boys and had a couple of questions for owners:

1. Someone in here posted about using them for gaming. Will they drive well if I plug them directly into the Dulashock 4 of my PS4? 

2. Will they drive well on a macbook air/ipod classic? I plan to upgrade to a Pono player when they come out but for now I'm still very much in the i-device ecosystem.

Thanks for reading!

Not sure about the playstation, but your macbook/ipod should drive these just fine. I drive mine with my phone (lg g2) and tables (Nexus 7/Note 10.1) and I have no problems.

If the playstation controller has a standard 3.5mm jack, I would suspect it would also work fine.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,141 of 3,729
  Sorry if this has already been covered, but does the PM-1 benefit from a balanced setup?

Let me say this. I sprung for the Oppo balanced cable, and it made the PM1 more alive, but still not in the realm of aggressive, so it's just right. I have a large selection of albums that I ripped from my CDs,
most of them popular music (50s,60s,70s,80s), and the PM1 is the only phone that doesn't require some bit of Jriver EQ to tame digital shrillness (it varies with the particular CD or headphone, even Audeze needs it,
especially the fazored variety). 
So, back to balanced, the PM1 pulls off the neat trick of, I guess, natural EQ while keeping things palpable and vibrant, so it keeps the digital stridency and impact in balance.
Running balanced seems to maintain this balance even better (can I say that while making sense?).
With other phones, the EQ masks things a bit, but with the PM1, without the software-driven EQ, it seems less forced overall.
EQ can really mess with the bass sometimes, making it a little blurry, even if you don't touch the bass frequency bands, so the Oppo lets the bass flow unimpeded, and sounds firm and in control.
So, if digital peakiness or shrillness is a problem for you, I highly recommend the PM1, and especially balanced if your amp allows it.
I'm listening to my ripped Jackson 5 CD now and this is notoriously painful in the vocals and upper mids, and it sounds just great on the balanced PM1 with my Rudistor amp, no wincing needed.
If you just listen to chamber music, maybe you don't need the PM1, but otherwise, I think this is your ticket to happiness.
By the way, I always use the velour pads, as I like the feel and the sound.
I've had the PM1 phones since they were first available from Oppo, about 8 months now, I guess, with regular use.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,142 of 3,729
Thanks for the info. I did order the balanced cable for Oppo, should get it tomorrow.
I was on the PM-1 tour, bought it within days of hearing it, was that impressed with the sound quality/comfort combination.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3,146 of 3,729
Hey guys, just a quick question, what seem to be the more favorable pads around here or do most people not hear a difference? I've got my own thoughts but am curious.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #3,147 of 3,729
Hey guys, just a quick question, what seem to be the more favorable pads around here or do most people not hear a difference? I've got my own thoughts but am curious.

There is definitely a difference in the pads.
As a best guess, I would say most probably prefer the alternate pads since they offer a slightly brighter and slightly more perceived detail in sound.
The only caveat is that I can sometimes hear what sounds like artificial enhancement in the upper mid range with those pads, but others may not.
Quite honestly, it's really a matter of personal choice.
I had formed some opinions before actually trying the alternate pads, but once I did I found my preconceived notions weren't as spot on as I thought.
The fact is that everyone's hearing is different, and thus you must hear them for yourself to know what you like best.
All of the pads are very good in their own right though, which is what makes the PM-1 such a spectacular headphone.
It's like having 3 different pairs of headphones in one.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3,148 of 3,729
I prefer the original leather pads by far. The other two are far inferior and to while it might alter the FR I find a horrible degradation in fidelity. I will say that the presentation of the other two with felt, seemingly made it more of a closed can which can imo be more of a cohesive sound for some genres and lesser quality recorded material but the openness is needed for these headphones to do it magic with quality recordings, especially live. Mmmmmmm. If I had a dollar for every time someone wrote about how their new hifi headphones made it seem like the musicians were giving them their own personal concert I'd be rich. So I tried to refrain from saying that but it's impossible not to when mentioning these headphones. These remind me of a great pair of speakers. I really wish oppo made a dynamic headphone. Theyre on the right track.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,149 of 3,729
I too prefer the original leather pads.   I find the alternate leathers slightly bright.  Almost uncomfortably so with some classical recordings with large  massed strings sections.   I just spent the last two weeks during the recent storms trying the different pads out with all kinds of music and although the velours and alternates do sound good with the PM-1,  the originals win the day!   I might just add,  that's the configuration I first heard the PM-1 and the HA-1 together and was very very  satisfied with this combination and I guess first love is always the best. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,150 of 3,729
I have had the PM-1 come and go from the loaner program. My impressions are they sounded better than my comparable headerphones the SRH1840 and grado SR80, which comes as no surprise. My source was a MacBook pro ( J River) to Schiit modi to FIIO Alpen.
I will admit I did not notice a difference when changing out the pads. The sound was very enjoyable. I did find that the head band still pressed down on my head similar to the Shures. This for me means I could not enjoy them for more than about half an hour.

I found the experience very positive

I am waiting for the PM-3s to come out, as interestingly they were comfortable and being closed will suit my listening environment. I heard them at TAVES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back