Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #2,161 of 3,729

I was referring to the older veiled sounding version of HD-650. That one reminds me most of PM-1. I only had HD600 (which is more or less like a current HD650 silver driver but with more upper mids) to compare PM-1 to. HD600 (and by relation, HD650 silver) is more resolving (revolving <> detail) than PM-1. One simply needs to hear the aforementioned Eagles XRCD track. Some information such as string decay, ambient cues, disappear on the PM-1. This is from my uber rig. From a Objective2 or cheap Chinese amp, it probably all sounds the same.

Yes agreed, that PM-1 is like a planar version of HD650 older version.

Also, agreed that PM-1 is roughly equivalent to HE-500, sort of blows against each other in specific aspects, but jerg pad modded HE-500 is better than PM-1. Should point out that HE-500 is or was $599. However points on superior comfort, weight, and build of PM-1 are valid since HE-500 comfort is absolutely horrible unless odd things are done to it which risk shattering the HE-500 headband into ten pieces. As I've already said, my view of PM-1 would be different if it were not priced at $1,100, nice box not withstanding since I don't plan on looking at the box or caressing it's beautiful wood on a daily basis.

Sonically PM-1 lost to HE-560, Enigma, LCD2r2 (high grade sample). Lost a little bit on modest setups, but quite a bit on my uber rig. I know many think tube amp is probably a negative (it's all dependent on implementation and quality of transformers - OTL is bad idea for these), and all DACs sound pretty much the same, but this is wrong, especially when such tube amp (4-45) makes tighter bass (try any track from recent Daft Punk CD) compared to Krell amp with HE-6. Go figure.

Would like to try PM-1 from higher power SS like my Mojo or Crest CA-2 power amp to see if I can obtain better results. That I haven't tried yet. The SS I've tried so far has been modest power.

The more comparisons I read the more I'm glad I've purchased the PM-1.  I like the fact I can go for multi-hour listening in comfort versus an hour or less in pain.  The lyr, the OPPO 105 and even my Pioneer Elite 94Txh are more than enough power for me for many multi-hour listening.

May 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,163 of 3,729
I can listen for hours too on HE-500, Enigma, Paradox Slants, Audezes, Abyss, 007mk1, HD650, HE-560, Mad Dogs, Mad Dog Pros, HD-600, etc. The PM-1 is not unique or super special in that regard.

There seems to be a misunderstanding that resolving, or being more capable of retrieving low level information equates to pain. Resolution is like pixels. Retrieval of low level information is like shadow detail. Pain is like bad photoshop over sharpening.

I for one am glad that I'm using a 2560x1600 pixel monitor compared to 1024x768 twenty years ago. if anything, images are rendered more realistically and requires less strain to make out.

May 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,164 of 3,729
  I can listen for hours too on HE-500, Enigma, Paradox Slants, Audezes, Abyss, 007mk1, HD650, HE-560, Mad Dogs, Mad Dog Pros, HD-600, etc. The PM-1 is not unique or super special in that regard.

There seems to be a misunderstanding that resolving, or being more capable of retrieving low level information equates to pain. Resolution is like pixels. Retrieval of low level information is like shadow detail. Pain is like bad photoshop over sharpening.

I for one am glad that I'm using a 2560x1600 pixel monitor compared to 1024x768 twenty years ago. if anything, images are rendered more realistically and requires less strain to make out.

I was referencing the comfort factor.  I don't like using the following word because it implies I've arrived at an absolute, but the "Consensus" seems to be that the PM-1's are more comfortable than most for long term listening, weight, padding, etc.

May 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,165 of 3,729

Great analogy!

May 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,166 of 3,729
Scalability can mean one of two things:

1/ The headphone is resolving enough to show the differences between inexpensive and higher-end equipment.  This is a grey area and subject to a lot of debate when it comes to taking into account listener bias/placebo vs errors in ear-brain perception vs repeatable/verifiable differences.   Everyone has their own opinion on this, and there is no point debating on what is right.     Personally, i think that if the difference between amp A and amp B can be heard by the "naked ear", then any headphone should be able to reproduce that difference, even if each headphone presents this difference with its own unique signature.

2/ The headphone itself sounds better with higher-end equipment (as opposed to allowing the "better sound" of the higher-end gear come through).    That, IMO, is purely a function of a higher-end amp doing a better job driving the headphones.   Hard-to-drive headphones scale well with more expensive gear b/c the beefier/pricier amps can control them better.   An easy-to-drive headphone simply will not scale too well, b/c there is nothing to be gained by additional power.

So if the Oppo sounds as good with the iPod as it does with, say, a Bakoon, the question is - is that a reflection on the Oppo or on the difference between the iPod and the Bakoon when it comes to a load both can handle?    

thanks for the explanation. kinda looks like it's all relative. :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2,170 of 3,729
Curous if anyone has experience comparing the PM-1 to the Beyerdynamic T5P? Both headphones fit my needs perfectly, and I quite like the T5Ps , but if the PM-1 is an upgrade I may just have to find a pair.

May 16, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2,171 of 3,729
Originally Posted by vkalia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Interestingly, i think that there seems to be a consensus building on the Oppo, even though different people have different reactions to that sound palette:   balanced, somewhat polite, etc.  In many ways, it is like the B&W of headphones:  doesnt do anything really well  doesnt stand out exceptionally in any single area, but doesnt have too many weaknesses either.

ETA - That isnt a bad thing.   This is the sort of headphone that you can listen to for a long, long time.    It isnt the hot girl wearing a tight dress and doing tequila shots at the bar - it is the smart, pretty girl with a great personality that's over in the Science section of the bookstore.

Speaking of B&W, does anyone know whether Bowers & Wilkins® markets a headphone?  I reckon they might have some interest in one, given the new demand for headphones in the consumer base.  Oppo® went for an item that can serve the low-impedance market exceptionally well, given the demand for portable audio devices (viz., the Apple® iPod® and derivatives, and their competition from the likes of Creative®, Samsung®, Microsoft® Audio Hardware, &c.); the PM-1 is now with us (as of 15 May 2014), and I''d like to hear the PM-1 and PM-2 for myself in July, perhaps bringing my existing Plantronics® 380 headset to the Doubletree Airport as a baseline for judging the actual scale of improvement when driven by any one of the amps that will be displayed there in July.

May 16, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #2,172 of 3,729
  Speaking of B&W, does anyone know whether Bowers & Wilkins® markets a headphone?  I reckon they might have some interest in one, given the new demand for headphones in the consumer base.  Oppo® went for an item that can serve the low-impedance market exceptionally well, given the demand for portable audio devices (viz., the Apple® iPod® and derivatives, and their competition from the likes of Creative®, Samsung®, Microsoft® Audio Hardware, &c.); the PM-1 is now with us (as of 15 May 2014), and I''d like to hear the PM-1 and PM-2 for myself in July, perhaps bringing my existing Plantronics® 380 headset to the Doubletree Airport as a baseline for judging the actual scale of improvement when driven by any one of the amps that will be displayed there in July.

I'll be frank here, you don't need to add "®"s everywhere. Makes you look like a lawyer or salesperson...unless that's your intention.

May 16, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #2,173 of 3,729
  I'll be frank here, you don't need to add "®"s everywhere. Makes you look like a lawyer or salesperson...unless that's your intention.

He was obviously joking.

Edit: unless . . . no, can't be.

May 16, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,174 of 3,729

Awww leave him alone you guys. I guess it's kinda his trademark and personally I find it endearing. I don't know why. It's a lot less annoying than 'Sent from my ... using Tapatalk'.

May 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2,175 of 3,729

They do make 3 headphones, yes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back