Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,952 of 3,729
Seems like they could give buyers a choice of cables rather than having the balanced be an accessory. Not such a good deal that way.

The HD800 don't come with it, nor do the LCD2. They cost either more or about the same.

Edit: And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't third party cables for the HD800 very expensive for any type?

May 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,953 of 3,729
Seems like they could give buyers a choice of cables rather than having the balanced be an accessory. Not such a good deal that way.

Does any other high-end maker do that?  I'm happy that Oppo includes an excellent OCC cable and quality connectors, plus a short cable for portables, which probably satisfies 90% of their target buyers, and offers a choice of two excellent balanced cables for those who have, or want, a balanced amp (like the HA-1).  The cost of the cables is very reasonable, too.

May 11, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,954 of 3,729
I did say "just recently posted".
I would have quoted you, but didn't feel like tracking down the post. :wink_face:

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but it sure didn't seem possible to include the balanced cable when the balanced cables weren't even done being manufactured when the PM-1 was launched.
IF they had waited until the cables were done, then they'd be criticized for taking too long to launch the PM-1.
Even so, there's nothing wrong with the stock cable. It's very high quality and delivers great sound.
The balanced cable option is just that, another option that's not included with the original purchase of the PM-1.
There are also lots of adapters and filters that a user could opt for, also not included with original purchase.
Having said all that, yes it would have been nice to choose either/or on the cable, but we don't always get what we want. :p

May 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,955 of 3,729
Not sure what that has to do with my post, but it sure didn't seem possible to include the balanced cable when the balanced cables weren't even done being manufactured when the PM-1 was launched.
IF they had waited until the cables were done, then they'd be criticized for taking too long to launch the PM-1.
Even so, there's nothing wrong with the stock cable. It's very high quality and delivers great sound.
The balanced cable option is just that, another option that's not included with the original purchase of the PM-1.
There are also lots of adapters and filters that a user could opt for, also not included with original purchase.
Having said all that, yes it would have been nice to choose either/or on the cable, but we don't always get what we want. :p
I
I hit quote instead of reply. Sorry.

May 12, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,956 of 3,729
Does any other high-end maker do that?  I'm happy that Oppo includes an excellent OCC cable and quality connectors, plus a short cable for portables, which probably satisfies 90% of their target buyers, and offers a choice of two excellent balanced cables for those who have, or want, a balanced amp (like the HA-1).  The cost of the cables is very reasonable, too.

Yes. The he-6 is a balanced cable with an adapter for single end. And abyss does as well (as they should for the money). And the audeze LCD-3 and LCD-X

May 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,957 of 3,729
  I want to make one point about the alleged lack of extreme high frequencies.  Watch the video of the UK introduction, and the designer's talk about the work on the planar driver.  There is an explanation about the PM-1's low levels of IM distortion, and how high levels of IM distortion can lead to a perception of a heightened response at high frequencies.  That perceived "air" and extension can lead to listener fatigue.  Virtually all the posts from long-term beta testers and those who have recently bought the headphones agree about how they can wear the PM-1 for a long time without fatigue or discomfort.  

Worth thinking about.  It matches what I've experienced with some headphones and speakers.

Regardless, there's something quite magical about listening to music on the PM-1.  And the build quality and materials are unparalleled; worth every penny.  

The idea is to have the extension AND low distortion...  Having one or the other creates problems...  Having extension doesn't cause fatigue, it's the peaks jitter that determines this.  The more jitter, the more fatiguing and less smooth. 

Distortion and frequency response are two different measurements. 

May 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,958 of 3,729
Can't say that I've ever seen a headphone be more misinterpreted and misunderstood than the PM-1.  Regardless of the understanding you think you have of them from the charts, complainers should actually try them before you decide how they sound.  They have less treble than HD800, but plenty with any good amp.  They have the best bass I've heard yet, completely extending in a few bass test tracks to the point that it was causing me physical discomfort and feelings of panic.  They hit notes that my LCD3 were not hitting properly, although surprisingly the HD800 was hitting them too albeit with less output; the K812 (running balanced!) were showing high bass output, but did not have the extension of the PM-1, either.  So just based on this sort of testing, the driver has an incredible range to it, pretty good for a first attempt.  They really are a strong competitor against much more expensive Audez'e phones, to my ears, while having features that other flagships don't have - folding flat compact design, light weight, high sensitivity - and at a lower price point.  And if all that isn't good enough for you, the $700 PM-2 should sound about the same.  

May 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,960 of 3,729
Step 1: Vacation to USA
Step 2: Buy Oppo headphones
Step 3: Go home

May 12, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,961 of 3,729

You forgot the balanced cable and the HA-1 
beyersmile.png

May 12, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #1,962 of 3,729
Had a decent demo of the PM-1 today against the LCD-3 (non-fazor). The audio chain was: Macbook - Sonicweld Diverter - Oppo HA-1 DAC/Amp.

Briefly, the PM-1 was impressive. We could only run it single ended from the HA-1, whereas the LCD-3 went into the balanced output.

In this setup, the LCD-3 was technically superior: it had better/cleaner instrument separation, wider soundstaging, cleaner bass, more extended treble and basically more detail.

The PM-1 however was to me the more musical and fun sounding phone. It seemed slightly bassier and warmer than its competition, and the bass was of a very high quality (though the Audeze was slightly cleaner in that area). Drums sounded fantastic on the PM-1.

The treble was subdued in comparison, the 3 giving sharper focus to notes and making room ambience more obvious; but it was adequate and didn't take away from the overall enjoyment. But in terms of treble and ambient detail, I'd say the LCD-3 is to the PM-1, what the HD800 is to the Audeze. Take that as you will!

The midrange, though less detailed, was beguiling: a bit thicker and jucier than the LCD-3, but still very life-like and satisfying. The LCD-3 in comparison sounded slightly dry (but still excellent).

The PM-1 had much smaller staging capabilities than the LCD3, and the 3 was able to delineate notes and instruments more sharply, and generally make more sense of complex music. I wish I knew wheather some of this was owing the the balanced vs single-ended drive of the HA-1, but I guess given the easy driveability of the PM-1, it may simply have been the native staging/resolving capabilities of the phones.

Given the above, it looks like the LCD-3 would be the easy winner, but in fact it would be difficult for me to decide which headphone I'd prefer; and this says, at least to me, a lot about the quality of the PM-1.

May 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,963 of 3,729
Had a decent demo of the PM-1 today against the LCD-3 (non-fazor). The audio chain was: Macbook - Sonicweld Diverter - Oppo HA-1 DAC/Amp.

Briefly, the PM-1 was impressive. We could only run it single ended from the HA-1, whereas the LCD-3 went into the balanced output.

In this setup, the LCD-3 was technically superior: it had better/cleaner instrument separation, wider soundstaging, cleaner bass, more extended treble and basically more detail.

The PM-1 however was to me the more musical and fun sounding phone. It seemed slightly bassier and warmer than its competition, and the bass was of a very high quality (though the Audeze was slightly cleaner in that area). Drums sounded fantastic on the PM-1.

The treble was subdued in comparison, the 3 giving sharper focus to notes and making room ambience more obvious; but it was adequate and didn't take away from the overall enjoyment. But in terms of treble and ambient detail, I'd say the LCD-3 is to the PM-1, what the HD800 is to the Audeze. Take that as you will!

The midrange, though less detailed, was beguiling: a bit thicker and jucier than the LCD-3, but still very life-like and satisfying. The LCD-3 in comparison sounded slightly dry (but still excellent).

The PM-1 had much smaller staging capabilities than the LCD3, and the 3 was able to delineate notes and instruments more sharply, and generally make more sense of complex music. I wish I knew wheather some of this was owing the the balanced vs single-ended drive of the HA-1, but I guess given the easy driveability of the PM-1, it may simply have been the native staging/resolving capabilities of the phones.

Given the above, it looks like the LCD-3 would be the easy winner, but in fact it would be difficult for me to decide which headphone I'd prefer; and this says, at least to me, a lot about the quality of the PM-1.

I agree that perhaps the balanced output may have had something to do with some of the differences you heard. Still, nice comparison between the two.

May 12, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #1,964 of 3,729

Smarty-pants,  re the double face palm. Sure, but I am not in UK or Europe, I am in India... a long way away from America or Europe.  And, anyway, while standing up against something, wouldn't be ok to still find ways around it? I think so ...but I think so knowing that stuff might get thrown at me, and that that might be somewhat justified.
redface.gif

I also figure that I might be called a troll on this. Well, I don't think so: I can certainly be a troll on subjects like cables, not on consumer stuff.

Quote:
  Can't say that I've ever seen a headphone be more misinterpreted and misunderstood than the PM-1.  Regardless of the understanding you think you have of them from the charts, complainers should actually try them before you decide how they sound.  They have less treble than HD800, but plenty with any good amp.  They have the best bass I've heard yet, completely extending in a few bass test tracks to the point that it was causing me physical discomfort and feelings of panic.  They hit notes that my LCD3 were not hitting properly, although surprisingly the HD800 was hitting them too albeit with less output; the K812 (running balanced!) were showing high bass output, but did not have the extension of the PM-1, either.  So just based on this sort of testing, the driver has an incredible range to it, pretty good for a first attempt.  They really are a strong competitor against much more expensive Audez'e phones, to my ears, while having features that other flagships don't have - folding flat compact design, light weight, high sensitivity - and at a lower price point.  And if all that isn't good enough for you, the $700 PM-2 should sound about the same.  

A good recommendation. Most of us, if and when we buy, won't have had the chance to listen first

Don't fancy it. But Mrs G has a best friend there she would like to visit: I could send her with a big empty suitcase.

But Hong Kong is perhaps a better option for me as I have family travelling there on business fairly regularly, so it wouldn't cost me an air ticket.

I wonder about the  Singapore situation, where the same applies, and where I visit from time to time. It would be so great to be able to go into a shop and try these things!

May 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #1,965 of 3,729
Actually, no. We do allow for any customer to order direct from us. Although our website shopping system is restricting sales for North America, we allow for any customer to order direct using our Offline Order Form. The main reason we do not sell internationally direct on our website is that, traditionally, the warranty of our products did not extend outside of North America. The order restriction was not done to milk international customers, as you have so proclaimed.

With that said, all new product have an explicit international sale moratorium on them. This is primarily done to ensure that any initial manufacturing problems (if they exist) are identified and isolated to units which can easily be replaced at our expense. Once we feel comfortable with the customer and manufacturing feedback, we will be able to allow for selling the PM-1 and HA-1 to international customers, just like we do with our Blu-ray players.

I am just quoting the above post for the sake of reiteration.
Maybe it'll get glazed over again, or maybe not, but there it is none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back