Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #991 of 3,729
Freezer? You just gave me another idea!

Back later...

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #992 of 3,729
I just pulled the trigger on the PM-1. 
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to try them with my new DX90.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,005 of 3,729
  I received my PM-1 last Friday. I have been running them just from the output of my McIntosh C-2300 preamp because the DAC where my WA5-LE is is due back from the latest upgrade on Wednesday.

I always thought the LCD-2 was a little too dark for my taste and the T1 and HD800 both with the stock cables were too bright for me too. In my personal opinion the PM-1 sits right in the middle. Right now I have been listening to them using a Mac Mini dedicated server with linear power supply feeding a Bricasti M1 DAC with the latest upgrades and then to the C-2300 McIntosh preamp. IMO the best range of the PM-1 is the midrange, It is very natural but the bass also goes deep when required. The highs are right there when needed too but without being piercing and/or fatiguing. I have tried both the leather and velour pads and I personally like the sound and comfort of the velour pads better.

From memory I think the LCD-3 are stronger at both end of the frequency spectrum but again I have not spend a lot of time with them to really have a strong opinion.

I will wait until I get my DAC back to tried them in my Woo and compare them to my HE-6 driven my my Threshold T50 speaker amp.

I'd be very interested in a comparison between the HE-6 and the PM-1. Honestly, "in the middle of HD800 and LCD-2" is not saying much. I mean, anything brighter than a HD800 and anything darker than an LCD-2 wouldn't be acceptable to many of us anyways. "Where in the middle?" is the critical question. To me, HD600 is right in the middle, pretty much neutral except for the bass. I very much would hope that the PM-1 is that neutral, though some reviewers report that it's not the case. So I guess what we need is a comparison between PM1 and HE-6, or HE-560, or even the HE-500. To me, even the HE-500 highs sound a tad recessed around 2-6KHz, and the frequency response figures reflect that fact. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back