Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #691 of 3,729
Please ignore....

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #692 of 3,729
Please ignore....

I read it, why did you delete it?
It confirms pretty much the neutral-warmish signature, which is in agreement with the initial impressions around here...:rolleyes:

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #693 of 3,729
  +1

Everything I have read about both makes me think they are both destined to be in my stable.

In any case, is this a wonderful time to be in this hobby, or what?

If you like having money in your wallet, not so much XD  If you like new toys, better time than ever XD 

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #694 of 3,729
I read it, why did you delete it?
It confirms pretty much the neutral-warmish signature, which is in agreement with the initial impressions around here...
rolleyes.gif

Because after posting the link to the Hifi+ article, I found out another Headfi-er had already mentioned it in this thread, see http://www.head-fi.org/t/712932/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphone-impressions-thread/465#post_10449936

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #695 of 3,729

If you like having money in your wallet, not so much XD  If you like new toys, better time than ever XD

Except the price of statment heapdhones, if not 'flagship' are coming down.  Time will tell if the new cans can stand up to the Audeze's and the other Summit-Fi cans.  My wallet will bend, but not break...

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #696 of 3,729
^ that is exactly what we're trying to determine... Where exactly does it belong :D
Also, Alpha Dog is a closed headphone -_-

Despite it being closed, it is one of the airiest headphones I have ever heard. Just FYI.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #698 of 3,729
If you get over the fact that they are closed and envision being in an extremely quite room, you'll find the Alpha Dog to reach pretty far out. There were a couple of times I was fooled into thinking I broke the seal of the headphones. That has never happend to me with a closed headphone.

Anyways, back to the Oppo. :D

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #699 of 3,729
maddog sound closed compared to koss ESP-950 stats and ESP-950 isnt oriented on the high freq.. more on mid range..

maybe with a better headphone amp than the magni the maddog would sound better tho

Personnaly, i prefer the mad dog semi-open..

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #701 of 3,729

I'm 26.

My quick impressions of the PM-1 have been that the bass feels weighty, controlled, and well-extended. The texture and detail is fantastic on the PM-1 for the bass. The mids are slightly forward with a warm and full natural sound. Listening to Portishead's Glory Box the vocals are incredibly satisfying. Hell, the entire song is perfect for the genre. Highs are nicely controlled in my brief listenings to horns and such. I fired up Steely Dan's Aja album for my first listen and I found nothing glaringly out of balance, even with the bassier velour pads.

The background is what really impresses me. Many people called the T50RP background black and I didn't understand what that meant. The PM-1 has the same clean, black background. Instruments feel suspended in the air rather than grounded to one position. Each expanding without running into the next. Good width, though the soundstage seems more on par with the Ad2000 than the Ad900 in width. Depth wise the feeling is that the instruments linger off into the background slowly fading away, when appropriate. I wouldn't call these slow headphones, they simply highlight the lingering decay of a concert.

Edit: LCD Soundsystem's Time to Get Away is on now. Boy those drums sound like they're in the room with me on the intro. Incredibly crisp, clean and natural. The PM-1 carry the energy nicely with a very clean and separated sound. It's not as engaging as the Ad2000, to my memory, but I don't think any headphone ever will be to me.

Further more listening I think these will excel as EDM cans. This is based on the last two songs sounding excellent on them: Radiohead - Little by Little [Caribou RMX], and Daft Punk - Voyager.

What about the soundstage, pin point 3D imaging compare to hd800/lcd3 and resolution/detail retrieval compared to stats..

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #702 of 3,729
Human ears do decline with age but experience does count for alot too...as a slightly more mature audiophile my hearing is not what it was in my 20s but years of experience has taught me how to listen and what to listen for even though the accuity may not be as precise as it was.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #703 of 3,729
Just ordered mine from Richard (Audiolgica). Can't wait to get my hands on these.

If you are in the UK and interested you should contact Richard he's a top bloke that I have bought from for many years now. Unfortunately he doesn't pay me to ramp up business (he should) but he really is a joy to deal with. Once a customer always a customer type service....

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #704 of 3,729

Order cancelled?  That may actually have something to do with OpenSSL, rather than your bank account(s).  ISP sysadmins have been scrambling to fix the Heartbleed bug reported this month; OpenSSL 1.0.1 through Sub-subrelease F has a major regression.  A fix is committed for version 1.0.2, and as of this writing is in beta test.

All got sorted in the end.  ^ good suggestion, not really sure what the issue was but used a different payment method.
Anyway, they're on their way 
biggrin.gif

Will take a little while for them to make their way down to me though.

edit: I hope the Pono player has some way to bump the bass for when the mood / material dictates.
I really like the LCD 3 sound, (although feel they may lack a little detail) if I find these PM-1's too bright they might be up for grabs.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #705 of 3,729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back