Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #706 of 2,563
Hey Anak..do u mind sharing which headphone u think it sound most similar to... like LCD3, HE500, LCD2, HD650 or even iem like shure 535?

A Little info will get us some idea on what to expect. ..

thanks aw

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #707 of 2,563
I was thinking, I'd be really interested to learn more about the basis for the decision to go into headphones. Did Oppo simply identify a business opportunity? Did they design or innovate planar tech that they wanted to implement? Does the CEO just love headphones? To go from cell phones to DVD/bluray/Universal players to headphones is very interesting to me...would love to know the story behind this latest pursuit. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #708 of 2,563
  I was thinking, I'd be really interested to learn more about the basis for the decision to go into headphones. Did Oppo simply identify a business opportunity? Did they design or innovate planar tech that they wanted to implement? Does the CEO just love headphones? To go from cell phones to DVD/bluray/Universal players to headphones is very interesting to me...would love to know the story behind this latest pursuit. 

It's more like the whole Hi Fi scene is changing. Young people just cannot afford a good speaker setups these days due to money and space restrictions.

Headphones are very good substitute because they are still relatively cheap compared to a good speaker..... SR009 and Edition 5 are actually rather cheap compared to many of so called 'mid-range' audiophile speakers, and that's before we are talking about amplifiers and room treatment and space requirements. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #709 of 2,563

A good business opportunity :wink:

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #711 of 2,563
  Sort of, but not really. Who is this person to tell us what the proper use of our community is? If people enjoy such contact that is their right, and further, there is plenty of technical information throughout the various forums, and much of it is quality and accurate information. If this community was limited to simply discussing the cut and dry technical side of the hobby there would be few of us around. We congregate here to tell stories and to share our passion for this hobby, and I won't be chidded for that by somebody I don't even know. Yep, I'm fine with some wasted chatter and banal discussions of how much a headphone might cost. Of course, if I wasn't, I could find another thread or go elsewhere on the Internet. Personally, I'm glad that such a judgmental and harshly opinionated person doesn't want to spend time here with us (not you brat, the OP you were talking about).

Well, I know better than to stick my 2 cents into this beehive.  But what the heck, since I can't talk about the headphones...  Let me start by saying that I love Headfi for everything that it is and isn't.  That said, sometimes it does take a very long time to read through a thread to find what I will term actual information (to be distinguished from good old fashioned shooting the Schitte).  It would be interesting to explore tagging within threads.  For example a comment could be tagged as actual first person experience with a product.  That way threads could be filtered down for those who were only interested in one aspect of what goes on here at Detla Tau Delta.  It would also be interesting to see if the option to display more than 15 comments at a time would be possible.  This way you could blow through these threads without having to click from page to page as often.  This would reduce the read time significantly.  I really don't think the original poster should be drawn and quartered for his blasphemous thinking.  Perhaps he could just go and live on an island somewhere...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #712 of 2,563

Well, I know better than to stick my 2 cents into this beehive.  But what the heck, since I can't talk about the headphones...  Let me start by saying that I love Headfi for everything that it is and isn't.  That said, sometimes it does take a very long time to read through a thread to find what I will term actual information (to be distinguished from good old fashioned shooting the Schitte).  It would be interesting to explore tagging within threads.  For example a comment could be tagged as actual first person experience with a product.  That way threads could be filtered down for those who were only interested in one aspect of what goes on here at Detla Tau Delta.  It would also be interesting to see if the option to display more than 15 comments at a time would be possible.  This way you could blow through these threads without having to click from page to page as often.  This would reduce the read time significantly.  I really don't think the original poster should be drawn and quartered for his blasphemous thinking.  Perhaps he could just go and live on an island somewhere...

That is NOT why he was "draw and quartered"

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #713 of 2,563

It's called the review section

Threads are for discussion of said product. It's that simple really. You do bring up some ideas for potential useful features though, which you can report in this forum so they don't go unheard.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #715 of 2,563
  It's called the review section

Threads are for discussion of said product. It's that simple really. You do bring up some ideas for potential useful features though, which you can report in this forum so they don't go unheard.

The review section is great, but often times you find nice nuggets in discussion sections. Unless of course you are trying to tell me that its not fruitful to try and find that kind of information here.  

Thanks for the link to the other forum for site suggestions, much appreciated!

Some days its great to have the time to dig through threads.  Other days its great to listen to sweet melodic tunes. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #716 of 2,563

Nice. I've never heard a headphone with such characteristics...

Those characteristics are similar to what the original Grado RS-1 sounded like back in '96.

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #717 of 2,563
Open discussion and speculation about a new product coming to market seems to be such a bad thing for some, why 
blink.gif

This is Head-Fi, not Stereophile or Absolute Sound if you don't like the discussion ignore the thread and read reviews, please.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #718 of 2,563
  Open discussion and speculation about a new product coming to market seems to be such a bad thing for some, why 
blink.gif

This is Head-Fi, not Stereophile or Absolute Sound if you don't like the discussion ignore the thread and read reviews, please.

Anticipation breeds frustration, that and having announcements and prototypes without a finger on the pulse concerning both price and SQ. Someone doing research, finally ready to pull the trigger on an Ortho, has to pull back on the reigns and drop from a canter to a stop..... then forced to put the feed bag back on
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #719 of 2,563
Someone doing research, finally ready to pull the trigger on an Ortho, has to pull back on the reigns and drop from a canter to a stop..... :p .

Let's face it, that's the whole point of the exercise for Oppo, and also make the news go viral through the kind help of drooling head-fiers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back