Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #572 of 2,563
  Late 2013??

Not leaving a whole lot of time here.   Not even 2 months left!?   I mean, come on - these are supposed to be a christmas present to me. . . I mean . . . my wife.  She doesn't use headphones but I think she would like them - BUT-  if she doesn't, then I'll take them off her hands. . . I mean return them.  Wow, I'm getting all confused here!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Step back from the ledge, bro...

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #573 of 2,563

Don't bother, they won't be able to keep up with the demand...remember the HD800?

Not really Dave..... The 800 release was a crest of a wave, 2009 was a start of releases that lasted two years. That start was for anybody that was anybody to release flagship headphones. If the Oppo is costing more than either the Alpha Dog or HE500? They will have plenty sitting around.....

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #577 of 2,563
Presentation box, headphone stand.....it's getting interesting. If these get priced in the mid teens or so, these could compete with other flagship models, considering Oppo's dvd player history relating to price/performance ratio. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #578 of 2,563
So you guys would rather have a budget offering as opposed to an Oppo flagship? 

I'm kinda surprised by that...seems like most people want a lower end phone. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #579 of 2,563

Some of our wallets can't afford a flagship like that as it'll cause a spontaneous heart attack and therefore instantaneous sad wallet death 
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #580 of 2,563
  Some of our wallets can't afford a flagship like that as it'll cause a spontaneous heart attack and therefore instantaneous sad wallet death 
frown.gif

lol...understandable

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #581 of 2,563

As Oppo's only headphone it'll be their entry-level flagship. I'm going to guess they have the LCD-2 in their sights and the PM-1 will come in at $700-$1000. Could be lower, but I'll be surprised if it's higher--all pure speculation.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #583 of 2,563
If these cost anywhere near a 1000.00 that would be a huge mistake for oppo imo no matter how good it sounded. As a newbie to the headphone world, you just can't price stuff the same as other products that are well established, tried and true. I know there are people here that will buy them at that price if they sound the part. But that number is small in the grand theme of things. If these debut anywhere near the 1000.00 mark,  many will say for that price, I can have an lcd2 beyer t1, etc. Or better yet, for 300.00 less one could have an he500. And that's what many will do instead of spending that kind of money for something unproven. 

Remember the original he-5. Many were saying it might have been the best can on the market, and there were comparisons to the hd800, and T1 everywhere. As a previous owner, I will say it easily sounded good enough to be priced at 1000.00. But it debuted at 600 and instead of people saying it was over priced, they were raving about how great of a value it was and it sold like hot cakes. Hifiman later improved on the design with the he5le and later the he6. And by the time of the he6 they were a well established company that had gone through the growing pains of earlier designs and were known for producing great orthodynamic cans. So they could easily justify charging 1300 for the he6 with many still saying they are still a great value at that price. 

That's just one example of many when it comes to bring new cans on the market.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #584 of 2,563
  If these cost anywhere near a 1000.00 that would be a huge mistake for oppo imo no matter how good it sounded. As a newbie to the headphone world, you just can't price stuff the same as other products that are well established, tried and true. I know there are people here that will buy them at that price if they sound the part. But that number is small in the grand theme of things. If these debut anywhere near the 1000.00 mark,  many will say for that price, I can have an lcd2 beyer t1, etc. Or better yet, for 300.00 less one could have an he500. And that's what many will do instead of spending that kind of money for something unproven.

Remember the original he-5. Many were saying it might have been the best can on the market, and there were comparisons to the hd800, and T1 everywhere. As a previous owner, I will say it easily sounded good enough to be priced at 1000.00. But it debuted at 600 and instead of people saying it was over priced, they were raving about how great of a value it was and it sold like hot cakes. Hifiman later improved on the design with the he5le and later the he6. And by the time of the he6 they were a well established company that had gone through the growing pains of earlier designs and were known for producing great orthodynamic cans. So they could easily justify charging 1300 for the he6 with many still saying they are still a great value at that price.

That's just one example of many when it comes to bring new cans on the market.

I can't really argue with this.  Pretty good observation.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #585 of 2,563
Any given price estimate that is not originated by Oppo themselves is mere speculation. Let's all wait for the MRSP and buy the cans a month later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back