Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #212 of 2,563

LOL. If you're talking about the two models on the homepage carousel area, I took those photos (not Oppo). Those are both Head-Fi'ers, and they were good sports. While one may qualify as middle-aged, the other one has a long way to go before he's middle-aged.

Thanks, Jude.  I guess I could be middle-aged if I don't make it into my 60s. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #213 of 2,563
The abyss of themselves cost $500.
The JPS Labs cables cost $5000...

i was thinking about this as well.

abyss sounds terrible and looks even uglier when paired with liquid gold.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #214 of 2,563
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #216 of 2,563

What's the attraction with planar magnetics over dynamic drivers? Serious question. Seems the bass is lacking from what I have read for comparable pricing.

Ink-black background, "planar bass" aka a lot of grunt and linear extension in the bass region with minimal bloat, excellent instrument/vocal separation and 3D imaging, and unique midrange timbre. All very overgeneralized points of course, but you get my drift.

Um, actually, the trampoline effect of planar membranes totally smears the imaging of an orthodynamic. This is what a lot of people call the "wall of sound" effect. You need pistonic, precisely controlled motion for good imaging. You can quell this effect by lifting the drivers farther from the ear and making the design completely open, but at its best it still can't match a good dynamic.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #218 of 2,563

I highly doubt this...

I thought people said they sounded nice, but not $5k nice.

It may not have the same level of refinement as some of the other TOTL headphones but it's faster than the 009 and Tyll claims that it's ridiculously engaging and exciting to listen to.

I mean come on, at a price point like this the music should be the important part, not the technicalities, shouldn't it?

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #219 of 2,563
  Shouldn't portable headphones ideally be cheap?

I wouldn't call these portable headphones. While it's true that swivelling ear cups are generally found on portable headphones, which are in turn generally cheaper in price, I believe that OPPO's design allowed for them to add this functionality as a matter of convenience - so why not do it? It's similar to the philosophy they have with their Blu-ray players: the more features, the better.

A premium planar magnetic doesn't have to be overly bulky and heavy, and I wouldn't be surprised if these competed with and/or bested headphones in the $1000+ range. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #220 of 2,563

i was thinking about this as well.

abyss sounds terrible and looks even uglier when paired with liquid gold.

That was my first impression too when I listened to them with the LG and also the W234 monos but on Sunday morning talking to Jude he mentioned how much he liked them. he said that the issue with the Abyss is fit. I told him I was trying to get a good seal but the better seal I got the leaner they sounded. He laugh and said that actually they work the opposite way (even if doesn't make sense), the lighter they are against your ears/head the better and more bass you get. I told him it didn't make sense but I would try it. I went back to Cavalli's booth and it happened that a JPS/Abyss guy (Jason) was there. He helped me adjust them properly to my head and what a difference. They actually sounded excellent and with a deep, fast and controlled bass.

Do I think they are better than the SR-009 at the similar price point? Not IMO but they sounded really good. My issue is how to justify over double the price of the LCD-3 and over 4 times the HE-6. They might be better (I would need more time with them to come to my conclusion) but I don't think price/performance are the best ones.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #221 of 2,563
  Makes me wonder which sound signature will be chosen for the release.

He said there is another prototype floating around without the mid bass lift.

They could release two versions..PM-1 and PM-2?  But maybe they are putting out feelers to see what the general preferred consensus is.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #222 of 2,563
  I thought people said they sounded nice, but not $5k nice.

This is what I feel.  I was at a meet where there was an SR009 off of a Liquid Lightning, HD800 off of a Liquid Glass, and both an LCD-3 and Abyss off of a Liquid Gold all side by side.  Headfi wet dream.  In comparison to the flagships around it, I though the Abyss was good, but not $5000 good.  First off, they are hideous.  Second, they are awkward as hell to wear.  Third, they are hideous.  And fourth, they are awkward as hell to wear.  I couldn't get them comfortable or positioned just right.  I got enough of the sound to understand that they were quite capable and did a good job with music, but they failed as something I could wear and enjoy.  It could be a failure on my part to figure out the proper positioning, but for that kind of money, I'd like something that is super comfortable and more than just competes with headphones costing a quarter as much.
On a different note, and more relevant to this thread, I am extremely intrigued by the Oppo.  While their highend Blurays players are very well reviewed for the price, their budget DVD players of yesteryear were killers, too.  Like someone said, if the quality and value line up with their other products, then if it costs $500, it should easily compete with $1K+ headphones.  It looks a little like an open B&W P7 (with bigger cups).  

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #223 of 2,563
Oct 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #224 of 2,563
^That was almost exactly the same thought I had when I saw that dac/amp.

I love A-GD stuff (having owned 3 so far), but you're right... they're not exactly pretty.

I wish they still sold the NFB-5. I'd go for it again. I miss my Compass 2, but liked the volume knob placed on the right, and the screen in front on the NFB5. Also, it had a better power supply, FWIR... and that sexy toroidal transformer...

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #225 of 2,563
Design wise they look like The Sony MDR-1R and the KEF M500 had a planar baby. I just hope they sound as good as HIfiman cans and can be in the vicinity of the most affordable Hifiman planars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back