Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #196 of 2,563
Good luck with that. I believe the customer service rep at Oppo that I spoke with knew more about the headphone, but really was not at liberty to say anything more.

One other aspect to mention about Oppo is that in all my years in the audio hobby (since the mid '70s) they have the best customer service, bar none. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #201 of 2,563
  Not in this modern era we live in, no...not anymore.

Yeah, not anymore. Part of the 'ad campaign' for the new Audeze X series of phones appears to be that they can be driven to at least  "plenty loud enough" levels out of simple portable devices....although as always a better amp is indicated for better performance. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #202 of 2,563
A couple reasons that we can be somewhat excited about a headphone from Oppo is that based on past experiences with them, all their products, at each price level, are made very well, and second, they all compete with similar products that cost several times more in price. So, hypothetically, if their headphone were in the $500 range, I think it's fair to say it might be competing with phones in the $1,000 range, and so on. Of course, this is speculation, but it is based on previous experience with their product history. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #203 of 2,563
The picture just above looks a lot like an Edition 8 with bigger cups.....................

Anyway, thanks for the input on the planar bass characteristics.  Didn't realize I wasn't enjoying "quality" bass with my Denon's.  Oh well, I prefer it over no slam.  To each their own. 
blink.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #204 of 2,563

Knowing Oppo, methinks it will be no less than $900.

I know I will be wrong but just by looking at the picture it looks like $500 to $600 headphone. :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #205 of 2,563
For me personally, the attraction is the "flat" bass. I'm a little tired of the typical dynamic "mid-bass" bloat - I'm attracted to the idea that Planar drivers can provide flat, even bass over both the sub-bass and mid-bass spectrum.  

Didn't Jude indicate that there was a mild bass lift on these?

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #207 of 2,563
Didn't Jude indicate that there was a mild bass lift on these?

He said there is another prototype floating around without the mid bass lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back