Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,427 of 2,563
And because of such people thread gets locked and really useful information is difficult to find

Recently I've taken a lot of my information gathering to PM and to general-topic threads in the lounge. There's a much less charged atmosphere there.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,428 of 2,563
And because of such people thread gets locked and really useful information is difficult to find

With all due respect, it doesnt get locked b/c of posts like that.   It gets lost b/c some people find anything except cheerleader posts objectionable, and start getting defensive/upset and THAT ends up derailing the thread.    

More and more, it seems that stating anything negative or against popular opinion is becoming less tolerated here.   No one seems to mind when 20 people chime and say "ooh, this headphone is going to ROCK" - yet all it takes is 2 people to point out some flaw in measurement or whatever, and people seem to get upset or hurt or start bemoaning the increase in noise in the thread.

I dont know about you, but if someone knowledgable about measurements is providing his/her thoughts on how those measurements relate to reality, it isnt "useless information".   It is probably a little more concrete than half the reviews I read here, most of which seem to be coming from deep within Placeboland (which is fine - nothing wrong with that, but let's not make that the ONLY way to evaluate products).

I have a PM1 on delivery and I dont find anything objectionable about someone commenting on the measurements and how they might affect sound quality.  In fact, I welcome such comments, as it gives me something to test for, when i get them.

My suggestion would be to take the negative comments as well as the positive comments as data points, and then make your own decision.   But let's not get to the point where anything other than pure subjective praise is decried or shouted down. 

YMMV, of course.  

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,429 of 2,563
Considering how measurements vary from site to site, you should all at LEAST wait to see the general consensus, not jumping to conclusions at every opportunity.

If you are referring to my post, I did NOT jump to conclusions, if you read it. I am one of the people here who would like to appreciate best headphones. By the way, objective measurements must be taken seriously if made in a proper way. Distortion measurements across different sites are generally consistent. Let us wait for other measurements to stack up.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,430 of 2,563
Lol, people are so antsy to consider the PM-1 a fail without even hearing it. What's the agenda here?

I know all about these negativity-driven bandwagons, but Jesus, you'd think they'd at least HEAR it first before screaming bloody murder.

The impressions from those who own it love it, yet those who haven't heard it are bitching about any little measurement they find.

Considering how measurements vary from site to site, you should all at LEAST wait to see the general consensus, not jumping to conclusions at every opportunity.

BIG +1

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,431 of 2,563
Lol, people are so antsy to consider the PM-1 a fail without even hearing it. What's the agenda here?

I know all about these negativity-driven bandwagons, but Jesus, you'd think they'd at least HEAR it first before screaming bloody murder.

The impressions from those who own it love it, yet those who haven't heard it are bitching about any little measurement they find.

There have been so many times these so called flagship headphones just failed to deliever for asking price.

It is just people got a lot smarter and finally respect objective measurements, which is actually very good thing and need to happen a lot more often.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,432 of 2,563
I don't think anybody here said it is gonna be a bad headphone...
There's some concern over the decay and resonances.
Tonality is obviously a matter of preference... Is warm-neutral a criticism?
Well if you like that signature then it is not, if you don't you'll ideally take something out of it.
Internet is a place where opinions are shared, positive or negative. You like some and some you don't. You are free to comment on those but as long as those aren't fundamentally wrong, even though one don't like them, they belong here.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,433 of 2,563

With all due respect, it doesnt get locked b/c of posts like that.   It gets lost b/c some people find anything except cheerleader posts objectionable, and start getting defensive/upset and THAT ends up derailing the thread.    

More and more, it seems that stating anything negative or against popular opinion is becoming less tolerated here.   No one seems to mind when 20 people chime and say "ooh, this headphone is going to ROCK" - yet all it takes is 2 people to point out some flaw in measurement or whatever, and people seem to get upset or hurt or start bemoaning the increase in noise in the thread.

I dont know about you, but if someone knowledgable about measurements is providing his/her thoughts on how those measurements relate to reality, it isnt "useless information".   It is probably a little more concrete than half the reviews I read here, most of which seem to be coming from deep within Placeboland (which is fine - nothing wrong with that, but let's not make that the ONLY way to evaluate products).

I have a PM1 on delivery and I dont find anything objectionable about someone commenting on the measurements and how they might affect sound quality.  In fact, I welcome such comments, as it gives me something to test for, when i get them.

My suggestion would be to take the negative comments as well as the positive comments as data points, and then make your own decision.   But let's not get to the point where anything other than pure subjective praise is decried or shouted down. 

YMMV, of course.  

Nicely put, vkalia. In fact, I really hope that the About.com measurements are simply a setup-related artifact or due to a defective sample. Let us wait for Tyll's measurements to be up at InnderFidelity. IN CASE the midrange anomaly is consistent across units, it will be audible as I said in my post. But how objectionable subjectively? That is a different question. As an enthusiast and speaker DIY'er with a strong objective perspective, I would not accept such performance as that of $1000 headphones. Anyway, at the moment, it is wise to hold off our judgment and wait for the InnerFidelity measurements, whose reliability has been firmly proved, compared to the About.com ones. A single set of measurements taken properly tells more than 1000 subjective impressions when evaluation criteria are well-defined objectively (which is of course separate from subjective preference).

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,434 of 2,563
  The USA seem to be getting a good deal. The list price in Britain works out at @ $1838!!Considering it comes from China, doesn't need altering for EU voltage, etc, why isn't the price on a par with USA?
From £657 to £1099 is a jump too far!

I guess a few will be using friends in USA to get them?

+1 on that.  It's made in China, so shipping shouldn't be that different between the UK and the USA yet nearly a factor of two difference in the price, do they really think the UK consumer is just going to bend over?

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,435 of 2,563
  +1 on that.  It's made in China, so shipping shouldn't be that different between the UK and the USA yet nearly a factor of two difference in the price, do they really think the UK consumer is just going to bend over?

I asked a OPPO U.K. dealer why the huge price difference.....she said that she couldn't comment on the US price. ( She also said, they would have limited stock at the end of the month. )
I won't be buying, on a matter of principle !!

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,436 of 2,563
I asked a OPPO U.K. dealer why the huge price difference.....she said that she couldn't comment on the US price. ( She also said, they would have limited stock at the end of the month. )

Sorry about that, I guess when it comes to price, they just look the other way. I hope you can get it from someone else, somewhere else maybe?

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,437 of 2,563

I do not believe these were made in China says RP which woukd  satnd for the republic Philiipines

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,439 of 2,563

I think I know why: the main competition is (IMHO) the Audez LCD2, in the US that headphone is $1145, which translates to £684.81.  Of course we would never see that price since the LCD2 is made in America and we would have to factor Import duty and VAT into the equation.  Because of that the UK price, from a UK dealer, of the LCD2 is £1025.  The HiFMans are also competition but are also US based so, again, there's no local alternative.  They're price matching to planars that what we can get in the UK (all imported from America) and the price has nothing to do with import duty or VAT; pretty $hitty I think.

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,440 of 2,563
I'm very tempted to buy them but the total price is killing me because I'm in Canada. (The total price would be $1457.33 CAD with the shipping + the customs + the usd-cad conversion.)

And I promised myself that I would never pay anymore more than $1000 for a pair of headphones.

I think that I will have to wait for the PM-2..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back