Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,411 of 2,563

They are not available until mid-April...

Beta Testers already have units (as evident in the Press Release) and it is likely OPPO would start seeding headphones to reviewers ahead of the official launch to drum up as much momentum as possible prior to the PM-1s going on sale.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,413 of 2,563
Apr 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,414 of 2,563

Beta Testers already have units (as evident in the Press Release) and it is likely OPPO would start seeding headphones to reviewers ahead of the official launch to drum up as much momentum as possible prior to the PM-1s going on sale.

You mean they grow these headphones?

Having them available to the BUYING public would drum up even more sales
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,415 of 2,563
They grow anticipation.

Although public opinion will be helpful for the long run, legitimizing the PM-1 as a real audiophile headphone can really only be done by reviewers. Public comments will be scrutinized more for bias and personal preference, and will require that people be within that specific social circle. A reviewer is supposed to be more neutral in findings, and their publications are more universally spread out amongst the masses.

So, yes, seeding review units and getting previews/reviews live prior to the release will likely have a higher sales benefit than just selling the PM-1s and waiting for people to talk about them.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,416 of 2,563
They're raising up a bumper crop (bumper crop)  
wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai_jNNi3ysE

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,417 of 2,563
reviewers have more experience with a large variety of headphones and headphone amps. Say like if you put a guy who drives a Honda Accord daily in a 2014 Porsche 911, he will tell you it's the BEST Porsche to-date. But if you put a guy who reviewed every 911 models for the last five years, that guy can tell you what is good and what is bad about the new 911.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,418 of 2,563
  They grow anticipation.

Yeah, that's what we need...more anticipation
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
reviewers have more experience with a large variety of headphones and headphone amps. Say like if you put a guy who drives a Honda Accord daily in a 2014 Porsche 911, he will tell you it's the BEST Porsche to-date. But if you put a guy who reviewed every 911 models for the last five years, that guy can tell you what is good and what is bad about the new 911.

Only if he knows how a particular car should perform...

I wouldn't put any trust in "reviewers" who listen to umpteen different pieces of gear every day...they've probably lost their footing ages ago.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,419 of 2,563
reviewers have more experience with a large variety of headphones and headphone amps. Say like if you put a guy who drives a Honda Accord daily.

Heeeeeyyyyyy now.............why pick on us Accord guys!? :D

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,420 of 2,563
popcorn.gif

Heeeeeyyyyyy now.............why pick on us Accord guys!? 

LOL!!

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,421 of 2,563
Measurements at stereos.about.com are up now.

My expectation for these headphones was really, really high. And the measurement results ....

I just hope only the measured sample was defective!!!

Oppo must investigate what happened to the review sample measured there. The amount of distortion at 200-300 Hz is unacceptable by any standard for high-performance headphones (In fact, this is unacceptable even for $100 headphones). I measure speakers, so I know how audible this distortion would be. This 5~6% THD IS audible. This is a typical amount of distortion I would expect from a low-quality 1 inch driver in a laptop around 300 Hz.

These days audio enthusiasts know how to read measurements. If these measurements at stereos.about.com remain unchanged later on, I am sure the sales will be affected. I, for one, will never buy these headphones if the observed anomaly is representative of all production samples. If this is just due to a defective sample, OPPO must act quickly to address the issue. If this is for all production, OPPO must stop selling, preferably recall, and revise it as soon as possible before manufacturing any more batches.

EDIT) Tyll at InnerFidelity will measure these pretty soon. Let's stay tuned to see if the results are consistent.

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,422 of 2,563
They were just delivered!!!!   I'm so excited.   Wish I had a 4 pin xlr balanced cable for them.  I have to use my Lyr for the time being until Oppo makes a balanced cable available.   Reaching for the camera 
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,423 of 2,563
The USA seem to be getting a good deal. The list price in Britain works out at @ $1838!!Considering it comes from China, doesn't need altering for EU voltage, etc, why isn't the price on a par with USA?
From £657 to £1099 is a jump too far!

I guess a few will be using friends in USA to get them?

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,424 of 2,563
That's one of the reasons I am going with the 560 too.
Because Oppo doesn't have nearly as many external dealers. So getting a reasonable price within EU or import would be rather difficult.

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,425 of 2,563
Lol, people are so antsy to consider the PM-1 a fail without even hearing it. What's the agenda here?

I know all about these negativity-driven bandwagons, but Jesus, you'd think they'd at least HEAR it first before screaming bloody murder.

The impressions from those who own it love it, yet those who haven't heard it are bitching about any little measurement they find.

Considering how measurements vary from site to site, you should all at LEAST wait to see the general consensus, not jumping to conclusions at every opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back