Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Feb 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,113 of 2,563

Apologies ahead of time...

I've skipped through a few pages but have we heard of the ETA and price of the OPPO yet?  Been MIA from this thread.

Happy Listening...

Not yet.  :frowning2:

You can sign up for updates here: http://www.oppodigital.com/future/PM-1_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

Give us your e-mail address for updates on the OPPO PM-1.

Notice: This information will be used only for the purpose of updating you on the OPPO PM-1.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,116 of 2,563
  When are these going to be released?

No one knows, they haven't given an ETA. 

An oval planar driver is going to have modal problems so that's already put the nails in the coffin for me. It's not going to be worth its asking price.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,117 of 2,563
+1

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,118 of 2,563
I can't believe how much time has passed since this first hit our collective radar, and here we are more than halfway through February and still nothing...this is really disappointing. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,120 of 2,563
  I can't believe how much time has passed since this first hit our collective radar, and here we are more than halfway through February and still nothing...this is really disappointing. 

Yeah, I seem to remember a "promise" of production by the end of last year. I understand that development takes time and that there have been complications and debate over the final tuning, but we haven't really had any substantive updates at all in a long time. If this goes on for too long, Oppo could quickly lose most of the excitement that's still left right now.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,121 of 2,563

Yeah, I seem to remember a "promise" of production by the end of last year. I understand that development takes time and that there have been complications and debate over the final tuning, but we haven't really had any substantive updates at all in a long time. If this goes on for too long, Oppo could quickly lose most of the excitement that's still left right now.

Exactly...I had been ready to jump into a planar phone last Fall and was excited to consider the Oppo offering....but now I'm on my second Audeze headphone and won't even be in the market anymore when they finally get around to releasing this product...worked out great for me in the end, but I would have loved to at least had the chance to consider an Oppo. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,122 of 2,563
I may be wrong, but I don't recall any promise of a release date. OPPO has always emphasized to me that, first and foremost, they want to get it right, and development has been ongoing.

Until I saw Brent Butterworth's video on the previous page...

...I didn't even realize OPPO was at CES 2014. (By the way, watch Brent's video above, to see what he has to say about it--the video should start at the part where he gets to the OPPO PM-1.) Had I known OPPO was at CES, I'd have stopped by, for sure. Anyway, I noticed on Brent's site (stereos.about.com) this photo...

(Above photo by Brent Butterworth from stereos.about.com.)

...on which I can see some very subtle design tweaks to it that suggest to me that they've developed it past the most recent prototype I have here. (I have two prototypes here, but the first one is overdue back to OPPO.) Again, they've emphasize to me that they want to get it as right as possible--in terms of sound and build--from the get-go, and I think that's a solid plan.

(I still don't know how on earth Joe and I missed OPPO at CES.)

As I have already done, I will continue to provide my feedback about the prototype I've got to OPPO, which I imagine anyone else out there with a prototype is also going to do. However, I'm not going to review it on the forums or gift guide yet, as it's a prototype--a prototype that, again, represented enough of a change over the first one I heard that a review of the first one would essentially be meaningless.

As for the oval driver: based on what I'm hearing from the second prototype, which is a substantial improvement over the first one I heard (and, from the photo I can see above, is likely not the most recent prototype anymore), the oval driver is doing very well. Listen to Brent's comments about the PM-1 in the above video (in which he discusses his highlights from CES), lest you think I'm alone in being impressed by the OPPO PM-1 so far. Even if Brent is right about the price (which I've not had any confirmation of), I have no concerns, based on what I've heard so far, that OPPO is going to have any problem being competitive.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,123 of 2,563

They already have.........I've moved on and may not circle back to these.  

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,124 of 2,563
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,125 of 2,563
I'm interested in these regardless of release date.  Oppo has an extremely good reputation in home theater, and the BDP-103 has been an amazing performer in my system.  I have a feeling it will be worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back