Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,006 of 2,563
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,007 of 2,563
  I lost track of a few 1000s of posts here... do we know anything more than what it looks like and what the box look like? Anyone in the oppofancrowd around for a sum-up?

There's nothing new, really. We're still waiting on a final version and an MSRP.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,009 of 2,563
If Oppo's offering is over $1000 and doesn't stack to the HE560 which just as an initial impression someone has said to be a refined HE6.... oh boy. Not sure how far looks can get you.

I dunno. I think aesthetic and perception play a huge role in it. As you know, moving up the food chain , things can become more about preference than raw technical ability. Figure you'll have brand loyalists, people that either praise it for its value, or inversely those that buy it b/c of its high price. Those groups will be on board regardless, but a nice design facilitates the volume of ppl even noticing it; along with good reviews/praise.

My bet is this hp will not take the world by storm, but have its own strong niche following. I mean how much hype, praise, recognition its going to need to unseat sennheiser/stax/audeze seams unreal to expect. Also, price it too low and people wont take it seriously (regardless of what people claim) , price it too high you may not get much volume market.

Certainly interested in it, but its not high on my list at the moment for future buys, certainly wont be an early adopter regardless of price.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,010 of 2,563
or inversely those that buy it b/c of its high price.

jecklinsmile.gif
<- just like him (he bought the Abyss)

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #1,012 of 2,563
  Actually, I do have a question for Oppo if they are reading...Will the PM-1 be available to regular Oppo dealers? I have one near me (Overture Audio) and that is where I learned about the BDP-105 (fine unit, just has too much on the inside for my liking). The chance to hear before buying is always a plus.

Ah, Overture Audio-I know them well.  Have bought a good bit of Martin Logan equipment from Joe at the gang there over the past year.  They have some REALLY nice listening rooms in their Delaware shop!

I certainly hope they make it available through their dealer network...I always prefer to buy through one of these dealers whenever I can...they are a dying breed, and i want to do what I can to keep them going....

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #1,013 of 2,563
  Comfort and looks are at the bottom of my list, 

Sound
Reliabvility
Customer Service 
Price
Comfort
Looks 

That's probably closer to my opinion, as well. I've started to take comfort complaints with a grain of salt in terms of how they pertain to me. I've never come across a headphone I thought was physically uncomfortable. They aren't all like my T1s, of course, but usually the comments people make about comfort end up not applying to me at all. I've had a pair that made me feel like my ears were overheating a bit, and that was a deal breaker, but actually physically uncomfortable? Nah...

Now IEMs on the other hand, I've had a hard time finding a pair that I could wear for over an hour, but that's pretty much IEMs across the board. Just don't care to have anything sticking in my ears. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #1,015 of 2,563
I really didn't think much of it when they were targeting a December '13 release and just hadn't come out with pricing when we first started talking about this, but to be nearly half way into January and still no word? I'm resisting the urge to consider that a red flag. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,016 of 2,563
  I really didn't think much of it when they were targeting a December '13 release and just hadn't come out with pricing when we first started talking about this, but to be nearly half way into January and still no word? I'm resisting the urge to consider that a red flag. 

GIVE IN

besides there's a new Hifiman on the market... two of them <3 

honestly though, I always enjoy hearing from Fang and his team. A great group of ppl... a know a few of us here have felt like Oppo isn't being entirely... invested in the community they are marketing. Did they have a presance at CES btw 

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,017 of 2,563

It's a reasonable policy to not announce price until you've settled on it.   Otherwise there will allways be people who get P.O.'d at you.  

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,019 of 2,563

It's a reasonable policy to not announce price until you've settled on it.   Otherwise there will allways be people who get P.O.'d at you.  

I agree, I've just seen this sort of thing happen in the past with products I've been interested in. It's one thing to delay the actual release of the product...that happens all the time and often it's not a big deal.  Maybe a parts supplier is holding up manufacturing, etc. But to not even have settled on the price by now? That's a bit more of a concern, IMO. I've been an OPPO customer for several years and remain interested in these headphones, I'm just thinking out loud here. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,020 of 2,563
  GIVE IN

besides there's a new Hifiman on the market... two of them <3 

honestly though, I always enjoy hearing from Fang and his team. A great group of ppl... a know a few of us here have felt like Oppo isn't being entirely... invested in the community they are marketing. Did they have a presance at CES btw 

lol...I have to give OPPO the benefit of the doubt if for no other reason than that I'm a very satisfied customer to this point, but yeah, I"m eager to look into other possibilities at this point. Will happily revisit the PM-1 after they've hit the market and others have had time to evaluate them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back