OPPO Introduces Sonica: A $299 High Fidelity Wi-Fi Speaker
Dec 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #121 of 148
Nothing wrong with talking of other products too, imo...as long as the thread goes back on course...I'm waiting for when our one dealer here in Canada will finally get the oppo sonica...he told me they're still in talks...was to be sent in sept...then delayedtil late oct...then not til Nov...now almost near Xmas and still no signs...so yeah that's why I'll talk about the competition (but don't really as much)
I get what you are saying, My Opinion there is no competition when it comes to Oppo Sonica vs Sonos! Oppo wins hands down for many of things such as great price & superb quality, SQ and best customer service! Just my Opinion.

Sincerely
Mike

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #123 of 148
I'm looking to improve the audio quality in our kitchen and utilize my Roon library.  I'm considering the Sonica WiFi speaker and the Bluesound Pulse Flex (both $299).

Has Oppo said anything about adding Roon support to the Sonica Wi-Fi Speaker?  Roon support via Airplay (albeit limited to 16/44.1) is probably "good enough" for the kitchen, but Bluesound has announced that they're adding Roon support and the Flex has optical in, so I could use my extra Apple TV 3 for AirPlay support until they add Roon support.

Has anyone seen a review comparing these two speakers?

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #125 of 148
Couldn't wait...Plus a smoking deal came my way... Went for audioengine A5+ and a Pioneer sw-8mk2 sub combo for US$280...Am all set for now per study/kitchen..

Will still check out new oppo 203/205 when it arrives in Canada, as I start to again build up a 2.1 or HT system, so hope to give them some business. but who knows...maybe i'll sell this setup once i hear the oppo....if i'm correct I can still play 24/192 files if the sonica plugged in to my laptop.

Update Feb 4...Upgraded to focal alpha 50s

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #126 of 148
And what sounds better: new Sonos Play:5 or Zeppelin?

I'm really surprised to say that the Play 5 completely destroys the Zepplin. The Zepplin is literally not even in the same league. I even tried to hate the Sonos, I kept telling myself that maybe I had placed the Zepplin in the wrong spot, or maybe I got a bad one and not all the drivers were firing. Unfortunately for Bowers and Wilkins the Zepplin sounds like a small Bluetooth speaker. The play 5 sounds like a full on stereo replacement. It literally could pass as a small tower speaker if you had it hidden.

Its funny because at BB the demo play 5 always sounded horrible. Every time I tried it, it sounded bloated, tubby, and small. I have no idea what the other speakers in Sonos line sound like, but two play 5's could easily replace a full stereo system.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #127 of 148
I have a question my wife got me the Sonica but it's a Christmas gift so I have to wait till then. My question is can I Wi-Fi my Astell & Kern AK380 DAP to the Sonica APP? I know I can through my Oppo Digital APP through my BDP-105. Hoping its the same kind of app as both.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #128 of 148
I have a question my wife got me the Sonica but it's a Christmas gift so I have to wait till then. My question is can I Wi-Fi my Astell & Kern AK380 DAP to the Sonica APP? I know I can through my Oppo Digital APP through my BDP-105. Hoping its the same kind of app as both.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry wrong answer for the wrong system

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #129 of 148
I don't think so, it's a pretty closed system. You have to be able to download the app on the device your using to stream from. There's only a about 50 services plus what's on your device that can stream once your in the app. It's pretty apple like in that sense.
Thanks for your respond. I will still try it and see what happens bit till then I will transfer all my high res music from my ak380 to my Seagate and plug the Seagate drive into the back of the Sonica usb. That should work Wi-Fi that way so I can use the app features as well. I'm really looking forward to hearing how great this Sonica sounds, from what I hear is nothing but great reviews but that's no surprise coming from Oppo
Love their products!

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #130 of 148
Thanks for your respond. I will still try it and see what happens bit till then I will transfer all my high res music from my ak380 to my Seagate and plug the Seagate drive into the back of the Sonica usb. That should work Wi-Fi that way so I can use the app features as well. I'm really looking forward to hearing how great this Sonica sounds, from what I hear is nothing but great reviews but that's no surprise coming from Oppo
Love their products!

Sorry, my original answer was pertaining to the Sonos play 5 not the sonica, I misread your question. I also would like something with more flexibility than what Sonos provides. I'm hoping the sonica grand will provide the same outstanding sound qaulity as the play 5, and also provide more option for media.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #131 of 148
I just purchased a 3.5mm Aux cord instead & run my Astell & Kern 380 DAP to the Sonica instead. I see how that works soon. Since I was having a hard time transferring all my high res music from my pono software to the computer
Into the Seagate drive. Has anyone use the AUX for high Bit music? I would assume its better since it direct compared to Wi-Fi & blutooth.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #133 of 148
Update: I was told from Oppo that the true high res music for the Sonica is the USB stick so that I went with much much better. I also ask for a firmware update to show the bit rate on the Sonica APP for each song and they said they will soon.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #135 of 148
Sonica has a new firmware update! Improved Spotify & others.
Why is this thread so quiet?

Sincerely
Mike

Many times a quiet thread means people have no issues and just enjoying the product. :)

When you have specific tech questions and no one here has the answer, feel free to ask Oppo directly through their online contact form.
They have excellent customer support and usually get back to you with answers very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back