OPPO Introduces Sonica: A $299 High Fidelity Wi-Fi Speaker
Feb 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #138 of 148
Mar 13, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #139 of 148
well I'm back to considering this again.
the stands aside my desktop and the focal speakers on them.
too many wires, esp with my ethernet and other stuff setup.

so am considering some options:
naim muso...or the oppo sonica...or the kef eggs...or sonos play 5 .

of course i'd expect the muso to sound considerably sweeter given
it's 4-5x the price....but if anyone has heard both, please give me some feedback.
i do love good bottom end, too...but won't be as good as without a sub.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #140 of 148
  well I'm back to considering this again.
the stands aside my desktop and the focal speakers on them.
too many wires, esp with my ethernet and other stuff setup.

so am considering some options:
naim muso...or the oppo sonica...or the kef eggs...or sonos play 5 .

of course i'd expect the muso to sound considerably sweeter given
it's 4-5x the price....but if anyone has heard both, please give me some feedback.
i do love good bottom end, too...but won't be as good as without a sub.

Have you looked into Denon Heos?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #142 of 148
Yes a bit...Just have read the ecosystem not as refined as with Sonos, nor not quite as good sounding...I'd love to hear the oppo sonica...I suspect it hasn't been pushed as much due to funds or something...No new reviews lately.

Duno I have 2 heos 3 and they are great! They sound great especially for jazz and classical tracks.
Not too bad for dance and rap and trance / house either.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #143 of 148
Duno I have 2 heos 3 and they are great! They sound great especially for jazz and classical tracks.
Not too bad for dance and rap and trance / house either.

Thanks I'll go and check them out... I know they are also like Sonos coming out with different Generations..Do they also playback more than 44.1 CD level?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #144 of 148
Thanks I'll go and check them out... I know they are also like Sonos coming out with different Generations..Do they also playback more than 44.1 CD level?

Tbh I haven't tried, I use them to listen to Amazon Music and Spotify premium and TuneIn mostly.
I've only ever played my own music to them like twice and it wasn't anything special.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #145 of 148
Sonica has a new firmware update! Improved Spotify & others.
Why is this thread so quiet?

Sincerely
Mike

mike..so how is the oppo sonica?
strengths, weaknesses..etc?

did you also manage to compare it against the denon heos and sonos play series
(i guess it'd go up against the play 3 or even play 5?)?

i couldn't wait for the ongoing delays in having the sonica speaker line
picked up by our cdn distributor so went a different route of buying some
audioengine a5+s and a pioneer sub ...then sold that gig and now
have the Focal Alpha 50 powered near field monitors on stands.

however, if i ever do get rid of this gig
(i like less wires and a smaller footprint: less clutter basically but still top SQ so the oppo is appealing to me)
then i'lll consider the oppo as single or in a pair...but did you get a chance to listen to them against others?

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #146 of 148
Yes a bit...Just have read the ecosystem not as refined as with Sonos, nor not quite as good sounding...I'd love to hear the oppo sonica...I suspect it hasn't been pushed as much due to funds or something...No new reviews lately.

There are quite a few reviews of the Oppo Sonica out there, and most of them are spot on compared to my impressions of their sound quality. If you Google "Oppo Sonica review," you will see a lot of reviews in the October 2016-November 2016 time period. It's not really a new product anymore (although it is a "newer" product), so I don't anticipate many newer reviews.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #147 of 148
mike..so how is the oppo sonica?
strengths, weaknesses..etc?

did you also manage to compare it against the denon heos and sonos play series
(i guess it'd go up against the play 3 or even play 5?)?

i couldn't wait for the ongoing delays in having the sonica speaker line
picked up by our cdn distributor so went a different route of buying some
audioengine a5+s and a pioneer sub ...then sold that gig and now
have the Focal Alpha 50 powered near field monitors on stands.

however, if i ever do get rid of this gig
(i like less wires and a smaller footprint: less clutter basically but still top SQ so the oppo is appealing to me)
then i'lll consider the oppo as single or in a pair...but did you get a chance to listen to them against others?
I haven't had the Chance to compare with others. I jump right on the Sonica only cause I also own the bdp-105 blu-ray player & their OPPO PM-1 headphones. Btw will be picking up another Sonica this week for Stereo Pair. As for the SQ it's everything you would expect coming from OPPO products if you are familiar with OPPO. As for having just one Sonica let me just say it's SQ is bigger then it's footprint. Highs are very pleasing as for the bass everyone has their own opinion, I really enjoy the lows it puts out for it's size and did I mention how beautiful it looks plus it's very easy to use and setup and a must buy if you have a lot of high res music,just put them on your USB and into the back of the Sonica. Like I said I will be getting another this week for the stereo pair & from what I been hearing if you buy one eventually you will want a pair. Haven't said that with just one as of now is a room filling and beautiful sounding gem! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back