OPPO Introduces Sonica: A $299 High Fidelity Wi-Fi Speaker
Oct 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #106 of 148
There's another thread dedicated to the Sonica Grand for more info.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/821362/oppo-proudly-announces-the-sonica-grand-wi-fi-speaker-north-american-premiere-at-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-oct-7-9

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #107 of 148
http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2016-janas-sunday-show#ZpivqTrpp8vdozKS.97
 ''My last stop on the second floor: Oppo.
I knew timing was on my side when I walked in and heard, from the entrance, that they were playing Elton John's "Rocket Man." We listened to it the rest of the way through on the Sonica Grand Wi-Fi Speaker ($699) and the smaller Sonica Wi-Fi speaker ($299). Both are to be released before the end of the year.
Ironically, the Sonica was more gratifying to listen to than its larger counterpart. To me, Elton's vocal nuances were communicated more thoroughly through the Sonica, whereas, on the Sonica Grand, the vocals sounded just a tad bloated and fluffy. Obviously the Sonica's treble range is not as pretty as on the Sonica Grand…but that's the usual tradeoff, right? Generally speaking, they were both pleasant wi-fi speakers to listen to, and these are just my nitpickings.''

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2016-janas-sunday-show#e6qOvICbFumU5sQc.99

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #108 of 148
Just an FYI, but the Sonica speaker has been updated to support Spotify. Just upgrade the Sonica DAC and the firmware on your Sonica speaker to take advantage of the Spotify integration.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #109 of 148
Firmware Release:
Firmware Version
History

Latest Official Release Version
Release date: November 14, 2016.
Category: Latest Official Release
Version: Sonica-24-1105

Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here
Checking Your Current Firmware Version
To check the firmware version installed on your Sonica, please go to the Settings Menu, select "About ->About Sonica Wi-Fi Speakers" and look for "Speaker Information -> Version".

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica/sonica-WiFi-Speaker-Support.aspx

*** WHAT'S NEW ***

~ Added support for Spotify streaming.
~ Added the ability to search across your local library, USB drives, and Tidal.
~ Added +/- volume buttons to permit precise +/- 1dB changes.
~ Added a progress bar to the bottom of the minibar.
~ Added support for Japanese and Russian languages.
~ Added support for Sonica DAC

^ As HasturTheYellow mentioned above, the official Spotify support software is now available.
Above are some more info and links to Oppo's support page if you find it helpful.

​PS. Apparently the Sonica DAC is close to release

PPS. I didn't even know Sonica had a "minibar". Hopefully I am not tempted at a weak moment and find I was charged $20 for a late night Toblerone.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #110 of 148
i sold all my hi fi gear a while ago..now only have cans/iems
working off my laptop (chord mojo or ifi micro)

miss the experience of listening to live music in my whole room, to be frank.

so I might splurge for the new sonica dac and a pair of the sonica speakers.
(but i do have the opp to buy a used but mint naim muso for US$1000)

...have all my cds and flac ripped onto cd (even 24/192)....so wondering
if that combo would work well...also using spotify prem...had tidal hifi
(might switch back)....feel free to chime in anyone.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #111 of 148
I have a question for Sonica owners.

Before I Open my Sonica up for Christmas I have a few question I would like to know first when you get a chance. Can I or do I have to leave the Sonica plug into the wall outlet at all times? Haven't said that I'm assuming I would need to get a good surge protector, Such as a (Panamax) to go with the Sonica? Last question is how long if any is there a break in period for the Sonica?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #112 of 148
I have a question for Sonica owners.

Before I Open my Sonica up for Christmas I have a few question I would like to know first when you get a chance. Can I or do I have to leave the Sonica plug into the wall outlet at all times? Haven't said that I'm assuming I would need to get a good surge protector, Such as a (Panamax) to go with the Sonica? Last question is how long if any is there a break in period for the Sonica?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

In order for the speakers to work, they need to be plugged in, and when they are not in use, they go into standby mode and don't use much power in that state.
You can choose to cut the power to them when not in use if you want to save energy costs, and when you restore power to the speakers,
they should automatically regain connectivity to your network as long as the network hasn't changed.

It's probably a good idea to have surge protection between the speakers and the power outlets,
just like you would do for other things like home audio and video equipment.

I would say the speakers don't really need a break in period, but others may have different opinions on that.
My theory is that your ears develop more of a break in phenomenon as opposed to the speakers breaking in.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #113 of 148
In order for the speakers to work, they need to be plugged in, and when they are not in use, they go into standby mode and don't use much power in that state.

You can choose to cut the power to them when not in use if you want to save energy costs, and when you restore power to the speakers,

they should automatically regain connectivity to your network as long as the network hasn't changed.

It's probably a good idea to have surge protection between the speakers and the power outlets,

just like you would do for other things like home audio and video equipment.

I would say the speakers don't really need a break in period, but others may have different opinions on that.

My theory is that your ears develop more of a break in phenomenon as opposed to the speakers breaking in.

Thanks for your respond. Yea I will look for a good Panamax surge protector. Looking forward to hearing it come Christmas! I also own the PM-1 & the BDP-105. Love Oppo!

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #114 of 148
Does anyone have any additional impression on this speaker? I'm currently searching for a stereo pair of wireless speakers for my exercise room. As much as I would like to say that sound Qaulity shouldn't matter in a gym, I know that if I don't do my research I'll end up unsatisfied.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #115 of 148
Have you looked at KEF LS50 Wireless? That's what I ended up ordering instead of the Sonica, although most reviews have been positive so far nothing beats a real stereo setup IMO.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #117 of 148
newly upgraded sonos play 3 and 5 coming in new yr, a rep told  me...
new riva wand and festival series also look interesting.

2017 should be a good time for bluetooth/wls speakers, cans, earphones etc.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #120 of 148
Last time I check this forum is for the Oppo Sonica!
I'm sure those Sonos have their own forum as well.
Sincerely
Mike

Nothing wrong with talking of other products too, imo...as long as the thread goes back on course...I'm waiting for when our one dealer here in Canada will finally get the oppo sonica...he told me they're still in talks...was to be sent in sept...then delayedtil late oct...then not til Nov...now almost near Xmas and still no signs...so yeah that's why I'll talk about the competition (but don't really as much).

Shout out to oppo...when can we expect to see the sonicas in Canada...or will we have to buy direct...or thru a USA vendor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back