OPPO BDP-105 headphone Amp
Feb 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #46 of 65
  I have got my 105D unit yesterday.

So far I am impressed by the DAC section of the device. It is very detailed and smooth. The resolution is incredible with very wide sound stage. It is so much better than the HDVD800 stock DAC that I think I will just use the XLR out of this player and get rid of my usb cable there.

The amp section is not as impressive as the DAC. They are very good for the price, but I still find the HDVD800 amp sounds much better here. Even though the detail is there, some part of the sound stage is gone makes the music sounded not as realistic.

I will keep update my impress later with more burn in. Not sure if there will be any sonic difference.

id like t hear your impressions of the oppo

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #47 of 65
Can't say I'm following Oppo down the rabbit hole with the "D" versions, I'm happy with the standard 105 ( hell I liked the 103 too) .  I'll have to sit out this new upgrade.  However I will start saving some pennies for the next major model release.  Hopefully they add an HDMI with support for the Roku stick in the back.    I'm still debating on using a Macbook with the oppo or just adding a stand alone external drive.    there's also support to stream over the network ,   too many options :)    Can't say I'll be a big DSD buyer.   some hires flac of my top favorite  certainly.    -  the Headphone works well with my modded Grado's  I actually haven't tried it with the HD600's or K701's  I need to give that a try as well.  

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #48 of 65
It would make sense for the HD music Sites to develop an app for the OPPO 105 that would allow DIRECT downloading to an attached external drive.    or does this already exist and I'm somehow missing it?     The oppo can playback high res audio directly, there should be direct access to a store ( or several stores) so that you can just shop and PLAY!     

I guess the alternative is to have the OPPO tunnel in to your MAC/PC but a direct option to buy from within the 105 kinda makes sense.  You can always move the external to any MAC/PC later for backups.   again if this already exists can someone let me know.

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #49 of 65
After two weeks of burn in, I think I have some rough idea about this device.

The DAC section of this device is truly amazing. I think it can match up with anything on the market in the price margin. The extra headphone amp + the SACD player makes it a better choice than some sub $2000 stand alone DACs .

For the DAC section, I used my Benchmark DAC1 as reference. They are about the same in detail level. They are both very clean and highly transparent DACs with minor differences in sound signature. Due to the nature of the saber chip, the BDP-105 sounds a bit warmer than my DAC1. However, I do not think there is anything missing in the high frequency. It is just smoother and more relaxed treble. The mid-range is excellent with plenty of detail.  The sound stage is about the same as my DAC1 which are much better than the HDVD800's on board DAC. The lows carry more weight compare to my DAC1. It is good for most of my pop and rock music, but sometimes  I felt it has been over emphasized. I guess I am just too use to German designs, in which "bass light with high treble energy" is "normal" to me. Since all test has done through balance setup, I cannot comment on the RCA output.

With all the file format I have tried on it,  everything got played well as long as they are on the USB drive. The network streaming is still a work-in-progress. As for now, only WAV and MP3 can be detected in my network server. Since I do have a spear 128G usb key + two extra external HDD, there is no issues for me.

The amp section is not as impressive as the DAC section. I does make all of my headphone loud enough to hurt my ears ( including my HE-6 which normally require a speaker amp to power) . However, this does not mean it can properly drive all my cans. The truth is, it does not release the full potential of the DAC. If you compare it to a sub $300 amp, you will think it is pretty good. However, if you compare that to my HDVD800, it is not as transparent and detailed. I found both bass and treble are lacking some extensions. Especially for HE-6, the power is not enough to control the bass which makes it mess up with the lower mid a little bit. It makes the tight HE-6 sounds booming in bass. For HD800, the ,amp does not provide enough detail for the sound stage to shine. It makes my HD800 sounded  dry and artificial in some of the classic recordings. The treble in this amp is well defined, but does not extend very far, which affect the performance on sound stage.

Overall, I find this is a very good device to replace my source and DAC. If you are considering to get rid of your PC in your signal chain, this is the idea device . However, if you are trying to find a very high performance integrated system that has very good headphone amplifier on board, you probably need to go elsewhere. For any flagship headphones, this amp is still a little less than adequate.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #50 of 65
Well stated.

My conductor has been connected to Oppo bdp 105, the dac section is almost identical to that of Conductor.
I previously connect it to Lyr and had chance to Uberfrost that was connected to Lyr.
The 105 is more musical and fluid quality than Uberfrost.
I found that SQ through HDMI is very good too.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #51 of 65
One of the lesser benefits  the 105's ability to breath new life into an aging system.  There are some quality multichannel receivers that are lacking support for HDMI and the latest multi-channel surround formats.  In some ways the 105 negates those drawbacks so long as the unit has multichannel analog inputs.  an older mega receiver like the Denon AVR5800 is certainly amplifier capable just not connection and format capable, but using the oppo for HDMI connections and it's decoding functionality extends the life of older gear to some degree.  

Its a swiss army knife ( transport, Dac, decoder, headphone amp, content streamer,  HI-Res file playback ,  etc).   so there is really little else to actually buy if you're using it with an older receiver or preamp and those are sold for a fraction of what they originally cost.    (heck I'd take an Integra Research RDC 7 Upgraded or RDC 7.1 for a few hundred if I came across one) mate it with that other dinosaur ( the 5 channel amp) and and Oppo 105 and instant basement system once you flesh it out with some second hand speakers and cables. -  Certainly not bleeding edge or prestigious but far better than what might be expected.  :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #52 of 65
Here are some oppo 105 thoughts from an owner

1.  The headphone amp is very good...and you can add one via RCA or balanced outputs if you feel like it.  You can have both outputs going at the same time as well as HDMI.

2.  The ipad control is epic - I play all my NAS based music with no TV via the IPAD...great feature.

3.  perfect CD transport, perfect DACs, all the onboard amp I need as well as outputs to my real system (Linkwitz Orion speakers) and my headphone system....with ipad control and I run my theater with it.

Thats bang for the buck. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #53 of 65
Especially DAC quality is equal to or better than every DAC I have owned, like Matrix, Uberfrost, and Conductor.
It matches very well to Lyr, Emotiva mini-x, or Soloist.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #54 of 65
Here are some oppo 105 thoughts from an owner

1.  The headphone amp is very good...and you can add one via RCA or balanced outputs if you feel like it.  You can have both outputs going at the same time as well as HDMI.

2.  The ipad control is epic - I play all my NAS based music with no TV via the IPAD...great feature.

3.  perfect CD transport, perfect DACs, all the onboard amp I need as well as outputs to my real system (Linkwitz Orion speakers) and my headphone system....with ipad control and I run my theater with it.

Thats bang for the buck. 

Agreed. I've had my 105 for about a year and have a Violectric V200 and a Corda Concerto sitting right next to it. The Concerto, ultimately, is a class below in sound quality. The Vio, though lacking some air and space next to the 105, is better at driving high-impedance cans like 600 Ohm Beyers. It also offers an alternate tonal balance that can be very pleasing. Is it better all around than the 105? No. Just different.

It's interesting you mention ipad controls, as I'm considering buying an ipad for that very reason. Hate turning on the TV every time I look for a file ( I have a 2TB HDD hooked into one of the USB inputs). Even though I mostly use a turntable, it's still a minor inconvenience that seems to have a working solution.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #55 of 65
Agreed. I've had my 105 for about a year and have a Violectric V200 and a Corda Concerto sitting right next to it. The Concerto, ultimately, is a class below in sound quality. The Vio, though lacking some air and space next to the 105, is better at driving high-impedance cans like 600 Ohm Beyers. It also offers an alternate tonal balance that can be very pleasing. Is it better all around than the 105? No. Just different.

these are very interesting comparisons. You are one of the first to describe the 105 head-amp as top-shelf. In which way is the Concerto (which I know so I can take a reference point) in a class below? 

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #56 of 65
Does any one know how to use your tablet or smart phone to control the unit without using any wireless router、

I try to setup an AP from my cell phone and use the wireless stick on OPPO to connect to me phone.
Sadly, the remote control app is unable to find my device.

Any one have any other ideas? I was trying to bring my device to the local hifi meet, really do not want to bring a monitor alone with it!

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #57 of 65
Has anyone tried Hifiman HE-400i with the built in headphone amp in Oppo BDP 105 ? I would like to add Oppo BDP 105 to my gear (as a capable DAC/Blue Ray Player/etc) and I´m simply curious, how it fared 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #58 of 65
  Has anyone tried Hifiman HE-400i with the built in headphone amp in Oppo BDP 105 ? I would like to add Oppo BDP 105 to my gear (as a capable DAC/Blue Ray Player/etc) and I´m simply curious, how it fared 
normal_smile .gif

FWIW I tried a few times the BDP105 headamp with HE-500 and was disappointed: compared to driving the HE500 from speaker taps, and from a Meier Classic, the Oppo headamp sounded lifeless with a flat and narrow soundstage ("in your head" as they say). It works rather better with 600 Ohm dynamic headphones, particularly with my old AKG K340, but if I were you I would not sell my headamp just yet...

And BTW, I love my BDP105: gorgeous build, well-designed (if a bit sluggish) user interface, lots of PRAT, and striking imaging ability, even when compared to a top-drawer DAC like the Meier DACcord.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #59 of 65

FWIW I tried a few times the BDP105 headamp with HE-500 and was disappointed: compared to driving the HE500 from speaker taps, and from a Meier Classic, the Oppo headamp sounded lifeless with a flat and narrow soundstage ("in your head" as they say). It works rather better with 600 Ohm dynamic headphones, particularly with my old AKG K340, but if I were you I would not sell my headamp just yet...

And BTW, I love my BDP105: gorgeous build, well-designed (if a bit sluggish) user interface, lots of PRAT, and striking imaging ability, even when compared to a top-drawer DAC like the Meier DACcord.

Thank you for your impressions, I kind of hope that it might be better with more efficient planars like HE-400i (around 93.0 DB SPL vs 89.0 dB SPL of HE-500)... Have you tried HE-400  (which is also easier to drive) with Oppo  BDP 105 ?

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #60 of 65
I just bought a silver 105D direct from Oppo for $1039, with 2-year warranty and 2-day shipping!  I plan to use my Yamaha RX-A3010 as the headphone amp via RCA-analog connection, using 105D as a DAC only.  Maybe I'll compare the 2 head-amps later on.  

Questions: (1) Does the 105D stream/decode DSD via USB or HDMI-in?  
                  (2) What am I giving up by using a flagship AVR's headphone-out instead of a standalone head-amp from Pathos or Antelope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back