OPPO BDP-105 headphone Amp
Jul 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

I briefly tried part of track 1 "Love Hurts" with my beyerdynamic T 5 p and Sennheiser HD 800, but both were a bit/somewhat louder than my normal comfort zone, even on volume step 1. 0 is mute/silent. The loudness level may be perfectly fine for many people though, since "I listen at (very) moderate loudness levels" as stated in my signature and indicated below.

Are you saying that at the very lowest volume level the BDP-105 headphone amp is capable of it is still too loud when using your T5P and HD800?

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:
Quote:

I briefly tried part of track 1 "Love Hurts" with my beyerdynamic T 5 p and Sennheiser HD 800, but both were a bit/somewhat louder than my normal comfort zone, even on volume step 1. 0 is mute/silent. The loudness level may be perfectly fine for many people though, since "I listen at (very) moderate loudness levels" as stated in my signature and indicated below.

Are you saying that at the very lowest volume level the BDP-105 headphone amp is capable of it is still too loud when using your T5P and HD800?

Yes, for me and people with similar loudness levels it is a bit/somewhat too loud under the described circumstances which would be fairly normal for modern day CD playing. It may be just okay with the described ReplayGain or older CDs from before the loudness war, especially if they aren't peak normalized (close) to 0 dBFS. I haven't tried.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #19 of 65
I am really interested in more impressions on this as a headphone amp.  I expect to get one in the next 4 months.  I am a little surprised at the lack of activity on this topic...

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #20 of 65
I have an Oppo105 and a LDIII sitting next to it, fed from the Oppo's singe-ended outputs. I'm not a headphone guy; I'm a high-performance audio kinda guy who happened to buy some cans and like them a lot. FWIW, my preference is analog and my system is mostly driven by LPs with Krell electronics and Dunlavy loudspeakers. I own DT990pro (250 Ohm) and listen at relatively low-to-mid levels. As low as possible, while being able to hear the detail and dynamics on the recording. With Oppo this happens on the ~65-mark. Compared to the LDIII (stock tubes), the Oppo is more clear, more dynamic, more resolving, more extended, more, more, more. It's at least a class above the LDIII in terms of its sound quality. I purchased DT880/600 and should have them sometime soon. I'll post back with some impressions in conjunction with the 105. Unfortunately, I have no other points of reference.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #21 of 65
Inspired by this thread, I spent a little time doing more serious comparisons between the LDIII and the 105 using 990pros. Sparing you the details, the LDIII is now turned off and I'm happily listening through the 105. In comparison, the LDIII sounds congested and opaque. It lacks the inner detail extracted by the 105, lacks definition and delineation on the low end, and extension up top. It's kinda murky sounding next to the Oppo. If the 105 can drive 880/600 that are to arrive tomorrow, I'll be installing the LDIII in my office and forgetting about amps. If not, I'm not even sure what I have to spend to get similar sound quality.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 65
I have only about 2 hours on the 880/600 and the Oppo105. Where as my previous listening level with 990pros hovered around the 65 mark, the 880/600 hinge close to 80. Not enough time listening to say more... for now. Initial impressions are positive. Hope I don't have to sell the LDIII for a lack of use.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #24 of 65
   I like the 105 headphone out but a LD with  rolled tubes delivers much more. The stock 111 tubes are 'basic' and it can go MUCH better even on the 111.

I did order some tubes, but I have doubts, Coloring a relatively transparent sound isn't what I'm after. If the new tubes don't make the LDIII a lot better, it'll go into the classifieds or on my desk.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #25 of 65
certainly not colouring the sound, I wuld describe it as opening out to let the full potential through, with the stock tubes you have a bottle neck holding back the 105 sound that you need to remove.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 65
  certainly not colouring the sound, I wuld describe it as opening out to let the full potential through, with the stock tubes you have a bottle neck holding back the 105 sound that you need to remove.

There's simply no other choice, unless one is citing FR anomalies driven by a lack of power. Adding another box in front of a transparent entity has no choice, but to make the latter less transparent. By definition. Whether one likes the change and enjoys the resulting sound is another matter, altogether. Hope that made sense.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #29 of 65
I picked up an upgraded (parts) Lehmann clone from China, so now I have a LDIII with all-upgraded tubes and the BC clone sitting next to the Oppo105. I've only been listening to the clone for ~36 hours, but I wanted to update the thread and perhaps open the discussion for more participation.

I'll post back once I have a handle on the sound in a comparative sense.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 65
The LBC clone is an interesting animal: somewhat dark-ish tonal balance, relatively clear mids, big, rockin', extended bass. Next to the Oppo, driving DT880/600, it clearly had more control over the lowest registers - unlike the LDIII that couldn't reach the lowest octave if its life depended on it. The Oppo did present a fairly detailed picture of what was there, but the diaphragms needed the BLC to move with authority. Everywhere else, aurally, there's still no contest. The 105 is on another level, entirely. It's more open, more airy, more delineated, more clear, more detailed, more dimensional - a lot more - and ultimately more lifelike.

At this point, I'm tempted to give up my search for a good headamp. I mean, the 105 does the trick so well that it seems almost futile. I'll be using the other amps with my analog gear, which is listened to almost exclusively without cans, or on my desk. Maybe one day I'll hear something that'll make me take a bigger plunge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back