OPPO BDP-105 headphone Amp
Oct 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #31 of 65
Hi,
is there anyone who compares oppo 105 with schiit DAC like gungnir or bifrost?

if it is comparable to Bifrost which drives Lyr, then i want to buy it.

thanks

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #32 of 65
Picked up another headamp: a Meier-Audio Corda Arietta. Big name, small amp. The amp is designed to run low-Z cans and I happen to have a pair of AD900X, along my Beyers that tend to present a much higher load to the amplifier.The Arietta is fairly new to me; I've just had ~6 hours of listening last night and it'll take a little while to see what it's really like. First impressions: dead quiet (quieter than the 105, which has no audible noise). So quiet that notes seem to emanate from total blackness. I realize I'm being a bit hyperbolic. Let's just say it's really, really quiet. The overall tonal balance is very similar with the Arietta, though lacking a bit of Oppo's air on top. The bass on the Oppo also seems to have a touch more weight, but it's hardly a night and day difference. The resolution - my personal holy grail - is almost the same, perhaps a touch higher on the Arietta.

This is the first real contender to Oppo's internal amp that I've heard. I'm truly excited about it. Will update the thread....

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #33 of 65
Picked up another headamp: a Meier-Audio Corda Arietta. Big name, small amp. The amp is designed to run low-Z cans and I happen to have a pair of AD900X, along my Beyers that tend to present a much higher load to the amplifier.The Arietta is fairly new to me; I've just had ~6 hours of listening last night and it'll take a little while to see what it's really like. First impressions: dead quiet (quieter than the 105, which has no audible noise). So quiet that notes seem to emanate from total blackness. I realize I'm being a bit hyperbolic. Let's just say it's really, really quiet. The overall tonal balance is very similar with the Arietta, though lacking a bit of Oppo's air on top. The bass on the Oppo also seems to have a touch more weight, but it's hardly a night and day difference. The resolution - my personal holy grail - is almost the same, perhaps a touch higher on the Arietta.

This is the first real contender to Oppo's internal amp that I've heard. I'm truly excited about it. Will update the thread....

FWIW, my impressions have not changed after extended listening. Both amps (ie. the Arietta and the 105) carry about the same degree of sonic goodness. Each has its strength, which in the greater scheme of things carry little relevance. While they may be significant to someone like myself, folks with a differing set of expectations are likely to weigh them on a lower order of magnitude, and perhaps rightly so. In all truth, I can't pick a favorite even as a staple of preference.

I am currently auditioning a Meier-Audio Corda Concerto. This amp shows real promise as a true upgrade.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #34 of 65
agree. I don't have an 800, but I sort of think it not be that great a combination because the Oppo doesn't shy away from the treble. I've also tried a Beyer DT-880 Pro, which turned out to work very well with the Oppo.thanks
vrt

True, the machine can hardly be described as warm and fuzzy. It has real extension at the frequency extremes and it is not a tone control. This being said, there's so little perceived distortion that its highs come across as clear and transparent, not etched or overemphasized.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #36 of 65
I am using the Oppo-105 headphone jack with the HD 800's and I cannot get the sound correct.
Not enough volume or bass.
The down-mixing setting seems to change things significantly...but I am not sure what settings I need to change.
Can you offer any help?

Thanks!!!!

Rick Guild
Tulsa

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #38 of 65
  I am using the Oppo-105 headphone jack with the HD 800's and I cannot get the sound correct.
Not enough volume or bass.
The down-mixing setting seems to change things significantly...but I am not sure what settings I need to change.
Can you offer any help?

Output volume was increased in a firmware version earlier than July 2013. See my post #15 and post #17.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #39 of 65
I have the HD800 Headphones and Oppo 105.  The 105 cannot drive them properly.
Not sure what my solution will be.
I bought the B&W P7 headphones for now...as a stop gap.
They sound wonderful!

Rick
Tulsa

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #41 of 65
I am getting my 105D soon, will do some testing on it.
Gonna do some single ended comparison between the oppo and mu RPX-35. Some single ended DAC comparison to my Benchmark DAC1.
Also some integrated system comparison respect to my HDVD800.

Actually the only reason I brought it is to get the PC out of my signal chain. So, I think it will just be an SACD and BD decoder for me that I will not touch the DAC and amp section at all.
However, if it can out perform my DAC1..... I guess I will just end up buying the master 7 from audio GD or the DAC2....

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 65
I just ordered the 105D today. It will be interesting comparing the sound quality of the oppo's built in headphone amp to my WA Fireflies via rca analog out on the Oppo. I'm pretty sure my grado RS-1's will sound great, not as sure about the HD650's. Hopefully the improvement is enough that I can sell my Fireflies amp/dac.

Has anyone else tried using the stereo out on the 105 to a dedicated headphone amp? Just curious how you feel it compares with similarly priced dedicated amps.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #43 of 65
I just ordered the 105D today. It will be interesting comparing the sound quality of the oppo's built in headphone amp to my WA Fireflies via rca analog out on the Oppo. I'm pretty sure my grado RS-1's will sound great, not as sure about the HD650's. Hopefully the improvement is enough that I can sell my Fireflies amp/dac.

Has anyone else tried using the stereo out on the 105 to a dedicated headphone amp? Just curious how you feel it compares with similarly priced dedicated amps.

What is different about the Darbee Edition?

Edit: Never mind I found the difference.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #45 of 65
I have got my 105D unit yesterday.

So far I am impressed by the DAC section of the device. It is very detailed and smooth. The resolution is incredible with very wide sound stage. It is so much better than the HDVD800 stock DAC that I think I will just use the XLR out of this player and get rid of my usb cable there.

The amp section is not as impressive as the DAC. They are very good for the price, but I still find the HDVD800 amp sounds much better here. Even though the detail is there, some part of the sound stage is gone makes the music sounded not as realistic.

I will keep update my impress later with more burn in. Not sure if there will be any sonic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back