Opinions Wanted: What Is the Most Expensive Pair of IEMs That You Would Consider Exercising with?
Apr 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

BassInMyFace

100+ Head-Fier
The reason I ask is because I'm a runner.  I have a collection of all FLAC files on my Fuze and would like to enjoy my music to the fullest on long runs.  I have been debating on whether to run with my SM3s for awhile now, but I don't know if that would be just pure stupidity to sweat all over them and chance ruining them somehow. 

I understand that this question is subjective based on multiple variables, but I'm curious to know what you guys think is the most expensive pair of IEMs that should be used strictly for exercise purposes (pricewise, not a specific set of IEMs).  What amount do you guys think is the maximum before reaching levels of stupidity?  What's the most you've ever spent on a pair of IEMs solely for exercise?  (I included a poll for quick responses if you don't want to post too.)

I am currently debating running in the SM3s, purchasing a new set of IEMs to run in under $300, purchasing a new set of IEMs to run in under $200, or purchasing a new set of IEMs to run in under $100.  I don't mind buying another pair of quality IEMs; I just don't want to be kicking myself in the *** if I destroyed my the SM3s...

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 83
why set a limit... most of the upper tier IEMs are very durable and can take some abuse since most of them are designed for staged performances... and if something bad does happen to you that will crush these IEMs... then they will be the last thing you'd worry about... what you should worry about is the fact that you won't be able to hear your surrounding once you put those in, which makes you vulnerable to the bad things that can crush your IEMs....

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 83
I considered this same issue about a month ago when I returned to working out in the gym. I am happy with my Shure SE530's (been using them for a few years now) but just wasn't going to wear those at the gym and sweat all over them. So, I initially compromised and tried using the headphones that come with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Those just wouldn't cut it, if for no other reason than they wouldn't stay securely in my ears during the workout. I already accepted that I won't be after top shelf fidelity when working out, but I did still want something decent. So, I ultimately opted for Shure SE215s. My thought was I know I like Shure's sound signature and those could be used with the triple flange tips, which I already use with the SE530s. Those give great isolation and are definitely secure in my ears. The price was right too as I decided I would go up to $100 for a workout headphone. So, to answer your poll, $100 is my limit.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 83
I'm a 100m sprinter, so I may be able to help.

To tell the truth, the Apple buds would be sufficient for me. To combat the fit, just put some foam sleeves on the buds, and you should have more bass and more staying power. Running with any iem I actually enjoy seems to be a waste. If the apple buds are too lo-fi, then consider something like the Meelectronics M6 (http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-BK-Sound-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335730740&sr=8-2). Decent quality for a price that won't leave you depressed if/when it breaks. Their customer service is great too, so they'll replace it if anything happens. Good luck.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 83

Quote:
why set a limit... most of the upper tier IEMs are very durable and can take some abuse since most of them are designed for staged performances... and if something bad does happen to you that will crush these IEMs... then they will be the last thing you'd worry about... what you should worry about is the fact that you won't be able to hear your surrounding once you put those in, which makes you vulnerable to the bad things that can crush your IEMs....

I mean't more along the lines of if I was to snag them on something while running, causing them to rip the cord or fall out and get crushed by me or something else for example.  I pray that I'm not going to be crushed by a car
etysmile.gif

Thank you for the input so far guys - more opinions please!

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 83

Quote:

I mean't more along the lines of if I was to snag them on something while running, causing them to rip the cord or fall out and get crushed by me or something else for example.  I pray that I'm not going to be crushed by a car
etysmile.gif

Thank you for the input so far guys - more opinions please!

That's why I wear over the ear, if they do snag, they won't rip out.  If I were to go running, I would look for a removable cable.  If the cable breaks, you can replace it.  With that in mind, I wouldn't mind running in my 232s or W4Rs.  However, I wouldn't be able to stand the bone conduction (there are ways to limit microphonics, but nothing limits bone conduction).  I've run track (1/200, long jump) and XC in my life (still run track though :)).  Due to bone conduction issues, I've stopped using headphones when I run...  It's safer too (just ask Tyll)!

I know earbuds help with bone conduction a bit, but still isn't a solution.  'buds don't do too well though in terms of SQ, so I don't use them either.  The best headphones I've run with were the Moshi Clarus (have surprisingly great SQ, both Moshi high-ends do; low end is so-so to my ears).  They don't isolate (like at all), and are stable on the ear (earhooks help a lot).  Make sure you buy a clip though to help with microphonics.  Bone conduction is still there, but is at a minimal like earbuds.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 83

Quote:

That's why I wear over the ear, if they do snag, they won't rip out.  If I were to go running, I would look for a removable cable.  If the cable breaks, you can replace it.  With that in mind, I wouldn't mind running in my 232s or W4Rs.  However, I wouldn't be able to stand the bone conduction (there are ways to limit microphonics, but nothing limits bone conduction).  I've run track (1/200, long jump) and XC in my life (still run track though :)).  Due to bone conduction issues, I've stopped using headphones when I run...  It's safer too (just ask Tyll)!

I know earbuds help with bone conduction a bit, but still isn't a solution.  'buds don't do too well though in terms of SQ, so I don't use them either.  The best headphones I've run with were the Moshi Clarus (have surprisingly great SQ, both Moshi high-ends do; low end is so-so to my ears).  They don't isolate (like at all), and are stable on the ear (earhooks help a lot).  Make sure you buy a clip though to help with microphonics.  Bone conduction is still there, but is at a minimal like earbuds.

Thanks for the input tinyman.  I know that a clip is a must!

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 83
I'm running and biking with ASG-1, so cost is not the determining factor for me.
It's more about having: a slick shape with no vents to reduce wind noise, removable cables with low microphonics, and good isolation.

And by the way, just to avoid hearing this urban legend again: people normally don't sweat liters out of their ears.
wink.gif

So no, you won't flood your beloved IEMs through the nozzles while exercising, but of course anything with large vents on the outside could still be an issue.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 83
Yeah I can't stress enough about not wearing highly isolating headphones/IEMs while out and about. Especially in traffic. That is a death wish waiting to happen. Too many stupid drivers out there :wink:.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 83
The ASG-1s are slightly..  windy no??

I used to exercise with a modded CX980.

ATM I just use the VSonic GR07.

Dynamic drivers are more robust and less prone to shock dmg as well if ever dropped.

Also less sweat susceptible

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassInMyFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been debating on whether to run with my SM3s for awhile now, but I don't know if that would be just pure stupidity to sweat all over them and chance ruining them somehow.

If you want to run with the gear you want it's not really that much of an issue.

I used to run at a track oval (now run on a treadmill).  I'd wear my se535 or IE8 under a low profile Silencio hearing protector.  The cable on the inside of the shirt.  The Shure cable I've replaced many times (flaky quality really, not because of the run damaging them.  I ruined one just by sleeping on it and damaging the pin on the housing and the cable).  I'm still on the original Senn cable.  I wear the Silencio to keep pressure on the cable and keep it in place.  A side effect is that it helps knock out wind noise.

Just wipe them down immediately after the run with a slightly damp cloth.  I do it so often I've got a spray bottle just for this one thing.  90 percent water with 10 percent of mild anti-bacterial soap (Jergens).

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 83

I use to exercise with Audio Technica CK10 which cost me $270.  They were made out of lacquered titanium and hard plastic, very low cable microphonics, fit very easily, and look like blue gemstones.

They have the best bass response I've heard in a TWFK design, to me they were the ultimate exercise IEM and I'd buy them again.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 83

Quote:

If you want to run with the gear you want it's not really that much of an issue.

I used to run at a track oval (now run on a treadmill).  I'd wear my se535 or IE8 under a low profile Silencio hearing protector.  The cable on the inside of the shirt.  The Shure cable I've replaced many times (flaky quality really, not because of the run damaging them.  I ruined one just by sleeping on it and damaging the pin on the housing and the cable).  I'm still on the original Senn cable.  I wear the Silencio to keep pressure on the cable and keep it in place.  A side effect is that it helps knock out wind noise.

Just wipe them down immediately after the run with a slightly damp cloth.  I do it so often I've got a spray bottle just for this one thing.  90 percent water with 10 percent of mild anti-bacterial soap (Jergens).

Can I ask where you came up with that solution?  Did you make it up yourself or here of that concentration somewhere (just curious)?

Thank you again guys and keep the opinions coming!

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 83
I use my TF10 customs to workout.  I do however clean them, and put them in a dessicant jar (hearing aid dryer) for hearing aids to get the moisture/sweat out afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back