Opinions wanted on 1/4" jacks
Jan 27, 2005 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
So the only part that I have left to order for my upcoming PIMETA project is the headphone out which I plan to be a 1/4" jack. I've noticed that at least a couple of very talented and reputable builders here use the Neutrik locking jacks (shown here) but I've recently read that these can be not only a pain to use (the lock specifically) but that the audio properties of these units are debatable. So I started to try and find suitable alternates like this and this but I guess I don't understand what the "switched" function is for. I certainly like the sealed look of the switched version more than the second option. What I'd really like to find is a non-locking, gold-plated, solid looking 1/4" panel jack but I have yet to see one.

So, anybody got some better sources, ideas, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Nate

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 14
if you are ordering parts from mouser then check out these jacks neutrik/rean quality. they look really good. and theyre really cheap.
600smile.gif
i used one on my latest pimeta

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 14
PE sells the Chrome nose Rean jacks too. They are what I have been using. They grip well and they are easy to install. I also prefer a minimalist look.

The switched jacks will work just fine. There are 2 sets of terminals on them. The one set is what attaches to your amp. The second set can connect to a second jack if you want. The second set is disconnected when a headphone is inserted into the jack. If you ignore the second set of terminals it works just like a normal jack.

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 14
theyre a fair bit more expensive though to gain solder lugs
wink.gif
if you're ordering from mouser may as well get from mouser if you're ordering for PX may as well get from PX
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
PE also has the chrome nosed Re'An jacks here and here.

The first one they have marked discontinued.

And they say that they won't have the second in till 2/8. Is there any difference (other than brand) between the Neutrik and Re'An jacks that people have found so far?

If a $1.00 jack is going to do as good a job as a $10 jack I see no point in buying the more expensive piece. Unless it's super-bling.
eggosmile.gif

Thanks people, for helping so far, let's see if we can't get just a few more options.

Nate

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 14
well theyre marked as neutrik on mouser's site, but they're nowhere to be found on neutrik's website, they appear on rean's
wink.gif

mr x pointed out to me this morning the slight differences, besides the mouser being pc mount and the PX being solder lug. the mouser jacks come with fibre washers, and a slightly smoother less chunky chrome nut. i've only used the mouser jacks, so i can't comment on different performance between the two, but I can't imagine there being any past academic differences....

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Unfortunently there really aren't any exotic quality 1/4 jacks. I'd really like to see Cardas manufacture them as they seem to be releasing a number of new headphone products lately. The Neutrik locking jack really isn't bad to use, I don't find the locking mechanism annoying and I like the bulkiness of it. I hadn't heard anything about the audio properties being questionable
confused.gif
. You can also get a gold plated version of the locking plug but it has to be ordered directly from Neutrik in high quantities as there is no one I've found that actually sells it.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
I hadn't heard anything about the audio properties being questionable
confused.gif

Agreed, They use them in recording studios all the time.

If you don't like the tension the spring gives it's really easy to swap out an old lighter spring for less pressure. Mine has just enough tension now. Here is a link to the Mod

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...Neutrik+Spring

j-

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
The Neutrik locking jack really isn't bad to use, I don't find the locking mechanism annoying and I like the bulkiness of it. I hadn't heard anything about the audio properties being questionable
confused.gif

I was mis-remembering this post. And I too wish that there were a few other "high-end" options for 1/4" jacks out there. It's hard to believe someone isn't making one.

Thanks again for all the input.

N

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 14
I have a bunch of tabless Neutrik combo jacks used in Meier-Audio amps. I had to custom order a large number through a distributor since it's not a standard stocked part. I have used them successfully in my ppa and hp-100a amps.

I can send you a few at cost if you're interested. Let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back