Opinions on SRM-323S vs SRM-006tS for SR-009?
Sep 18, 2015 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ahnafakeef

100+ Head-Fier
Stuck deciding between the two. Which one is better in which department, and why?

Provide me with any information that might help me decide. Thank you.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 24
I've talked to someone who has heard the SR-009 on both and says that the treble gets too harsh and unbearable on the SRM-323S.  The safe thing to do with the SR-009 is to put it on a tube/tube hybrid amp.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 24
  I've talked to someone who has heard the SR-009 on both and says that the treble gets too harsh and unbearable on the SRM-323S.  The safe thing to do with the SR-009 is to put it on a tube/tube hybrid amp.

Ack! That's discouraging for me, because the SRM-323S is the amp I want to start out with for the SR-009. But I've read a lot of impressions of the 009 + 323S combo and most of them say it sounds very neutral, so I'm not too worried.

But guess what? EQ.
tongue.gif

(A free parametric equalizer can easily solve most frequency response problems. And I'm gonna get an ultimate electrostatic amp sooner or later anyway. Oh. And I told you privately that I wanted an HE 60...but have now decided to put all the other headphones on the backburner and focus on building an ultimate SR-009 system, since it's going to be better overall anyway. I realize more and more every day that non-electrostats just aren't good enough for me to use as my main headphone.)

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 24

Ack! That's discouraging for me, because the SRM-323S is the amp I want to start out with for the SR-009. But I've read a lot of impressions of the 009 + 323S combo and most of them say it sounds very neutral, so I'm not too worried.

But guess what? EQ.
tongue.gif

(A free parametric equalizer can easily solve most frequency response problems. And I'm gonna get an ultimate electrostatic amp sooner or later anyway. Oh. And I told you privately that I wanted an HE 60...but have now decided to put all the other headphones on the backburner and focus on building an ultimate SR-009 system, since it's going to be better overall anyway. I realize more and more every day that non-electrostats just aren't good enough for me to use as my main headphone.)

Having reread Tyll's impression on the SRM-727II with the SR-009, I realize that's similar to what I've heard about the SRM-323S and SR-009.  But like you say, EQ down that treble if you need to.

This is all funny since I made a very similar decision recently.  Instead of upgrading to a very nice ortho setup in January-February, I'm putting my headphone upgrade on hold until April-May when I can afford a very nice DAC, Stax SRM-323S, and Stax SR-007.  The SRM-323S will eventually be replaced by an end-game amp, and the SR-007 will get replaced by an SR-009 one day.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 24
  Having reread Tyll's impression on the SRM-727II with the SR-009, I realize that's similar to what I've heard about the SRM-323S and SR-009.  But like you say, EQ down that treble if you need to.

This is all funny since I made a very similar decision recently.  Instead of upgrading to a very nice ortho setup in January-February, I'm putting my headphone upgrade on hold until April-May when I can afford a very nice DAC, Stax SRM-323S, and Stax SR-007.  The SRM-323S will eventually be replaced by an end-game amp, and the SR-007 will get replaced by an SR-009 one day.

Another thing you could do earlier on is get an entry-level STAX system. I like the SR-207 and even SR-30 more than all non-electrostats regardless of price. The SR-30 system I used to own is actually being sold here right now for $89!

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 24

Another thing you could do earlier on is get an entry-level STAX system. I like the SR-207 and even SR-30 more than all non-electrostats regardless of price. The SR-30 system I used to own is actually being sold here right now for $89!

$89?  Hah, might as well.  Thanks for sharing.  Sent him a PM.  I do wonder if I'll like it more than my DT 880.  In any case, I can't pass up that deal.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 24
Thanks a lot for your inputs, guys.

I'll be sticking to the 323S for now. If I don't like it (or when the upgrade itch comes knocking) I plan on upgrading to a BHSE. And besides, like Alchemist said, I can always use an equalizer.

And speaking of, @Music Alchemist could you please guide me as to how I can use an equalizer to increase the bass on my DT990s?

And on the note of STAX gears, they're apparently about to release a new headphone soon (don't have the link right now). It's gonna be a bummer if it turns out to be better than the SR-009 for a lower price.

Also, regardless of what I've been told so far, I plan on getting a delta-sigma Gungnir for the SR-009 and SRM-323S. Both for peace of mind, and to ensure that I don't get the urge to upgrade my DAC and can be done with my setup with upgrading to just a BHSE.

Also, by the looks of things, there's a good chance that I'll be receiving the equipment by the end of October. Can't wait!

Again, thanks for contributing.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 24
  For your DT990 simply adjust your EQ to resemble this mountain range:

:wink:

Sure, but via what software/application/utility? Foobar would work, right? My apologies, but this is all very new to me.

Also, my end in view is to increase the amount/quality/detail of the HP's bass. But since you've already suggested something, what would I get if I set the EQ like that mountain range?

Thanks for the prompt response and for taking the time to help me out.

EDIT: It would help immensely if you could just tell me which values to set each frequency to.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 24

And speaking of, @Music Alchemist could you please guide me as to how I can use an equalizer to increase the bass on my DT990s?

For quick results, take a parametric equalizer and experiment boosting the low frequencies. For best results, consult the EQ guides I provided in the past.

And on the note of STAX gears, they're apparently about to release a new headphone soon (don't have the link right now). It's gonna be a bummer if it turns out to be better than the SR-009 for a lower price.

The SR-507 II is just the SR-507 with a few cosmetic upgrades, as far as I can tell. It is no threat to the SR-009. The very thought is...unthinkable!

Familiarize yourself with their in-production models here: https://www.staxusa.com/earspeaker/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back