Opinions on my Future rig?
Oct 23, 2010 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

miloxo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Headfi. You should be sorry for my wallet!

'bout a year ago I asked for some portable headhones, ended up with -look in my sig-

Now I'm looking to make a significant upgrade in the next few months (I always loled when I just started headfiíng at: We are sorry for your wallet, but its just true!)

My plan for the future is:
A HD650 together with a Lafigaro 339 and a nice DAC with a solid cheapish DVD player asa CD transport. I will first buy the Headphones (18 in 2 week's my parents will support 250 Euros on anything Id love to have) Then the amp (I want to wait for 339 impressions) and then a better DAC (I already have a entry level DAC)

Why the HD650s? (FWIR! on this site)
-Non-fatiguing, which is very important. I just want to sit down, and listen to some music and don't want to analyze it. I''m not a detail freak.
I can barely hear above the 8KHz. Ive had little hearing problems since i was born (17 now.. almost 18). I don't think I will notice the 'treble roll off'  in the HD650.
-Sound with body. my AD700s sound a bit 'light'. its just a bit distanced sounding. Also to bass is too light (but I'm not a basshead)
-'Organic sounding' From all my headphones i own, the Thinksound Rains have the most 'organic' sound. its full sounding and non fatiguing. The bass was not too super tight, mids were very nice (smooootthhhh!). If it was a full sized headphone it could be almost perfect.
-Open headphone. I do'nt want a closed 'phone.

Why the 339 for amping?
- According to Lafigaro: Based on the 337, which is considered a small upgrade from the darkvoice/lf 332, wich is great with the Senn's from what I've read. Even if its just a small difference, I don't want to experience upgraderites for a long time. So I figured that i should go for what I'm eying on, and not settle for less)
-designed to drive low impedance phones better then 337. I'm thinking of a k701 to complement my HD650s
-its looks awesome :p

Music:
From classical to metal, although its rounded of at the extremes of the musical spectrum. I don't listen to extreme death metal, but also dont listen to very light classical pieces. But  it should do everything in between okay. And should do new ageísh music very nice (which I listen the most when I dim the lights and just have musical bliss). I list some of top artist/genre that cover most of my listening
-Porcupine tree
-Pink Floyd
-Loreena mcKenitt
-Mike Oldfield (The songs of a distant Earth!)
-Keiko Matsui, brilliant!
-Electronic ambient: Carbon Based Lifeforms, Solar Fields and especially Amethystium. Enigma is very high on my list too.
-Soundtrack music.
-Discovering Classical music. I really like Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Willis And Ludivico Einaudi.

So, for my needs: HD650+LF339 with a nice DAC+DVDP CD transport= Perfect for my needs? Or should I look in a total different direction?

Sorry for the long thread, but thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back