Opeth - Watershed
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

YtseJamer

Headphoneus Supremus
Swedish progressive metal titans OPETH have set "Watershed" as the title of their forthcoming album, due out on June 3 via Roadrunner Records (one day earlier internationally). The CD, recorded in the band's native Sweden and produced by frontman/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt and Jens Bogren, is a masterwork that follows the time-honored OPETH tradition; its modern yet timeless, progressive yet paying homage to the sounds of classic rock.

According to a press release, "Watershed" is truly one of those special records that cycles through a variety of moods, speeds and textures, complete with lots of subtleties and nuances of sound. Because of its expansive scope, "Watershed" is destined to land the album atop many "best-of" lists. Album opener "Coil" is a gorgeous acoustic number, featuring local folk vocalist Nathalie Lorichs, while "Heir Apparent" will knock listeners unconscious with its blunt force metal. Always one to defy the rules, OPETH posits sung vocals over artillery-like blast beats on "The Lotus Eater", cementing their reputation as innovators and redefiners.

"Watershed" combines elements of modern metal, prog rock, free jazz and hints of European folk music, all of which come together for a seamless, unique collection of songs that will leave an indelible mark upon all who listen.

The follow-up to 2005's "Ghost Reveries" is the first OPETH release to feature new guitarist Fredrik Åkesson and drummer Martin Axenrot and is the band's second effort for Roadrunner Records.

"Watershed" track listing:

01. Coil
02. Heir Apparent
03. The Lotus Eater
04. Burden
05. Porcelain Heart
06. Hessian Peel
07. Hex Omega

All the songs were written by Åkerfeldt apart from "Porcelain Heart", which was co-written with new guitarist Fredrik Åkesson. One additonal track, "Derelict Herds", was also recorded and this was written by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Per Wiberg. On top of this, three cover songs were recorded. "Bridge of Sighs" from ROBIN TROWER's 1974 LP of the same title, "Den Ständiga Resan" (sung in Swedish) by MARIE FREDRIKSSON as well as the classic ALICE IN CHAINS song "Would?"

The album was recorded at Fascination Street studios during November 1 and December 13. Some additional recording was done between January 3 and January 7.

Says Mikael Åkerfeldt: "I've worked so hard with these songs for quite some time now, I've listened to 'em a zillion times. I don't hate them just yet! The album sounds great sonically and I think I can hear us evolving as the record plays on. It is taking us somewhere musically and I don't know where. It's very exciting to say the least! I can't remember having enjoyed a recording this much ever before."

The cover was (as usual) designed by Travis Smith in co-operation with Åkerfeldt.

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 117
I hope they release it on vinyl soon after the initial release. I was disappointed they didn't release The Roundhouse Tapes on vinyl.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 117
This is really really really good news.

I just hope that they make the covers good. I really really hate "Eternal Soul Torture" from the morningrise album. It just kills the mood totaly after "To Bid You Farewell".

I rather have them release the album without these covers, then maybe release the covers for free as flac downloads, or maybe have some sort of code in the retail packaging to enable the download.

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 117
Wow, a woman singing in Swedish, and an AIC cover? SIGN ME UP!

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 117
The cover songs are probably going to wind up on a bonus CD, considering that all seven of the album tracks probably approach or exceed the 10 minute mark (~70+ minutes). Sort of like those beautiful extras from the Blackwater Park limited edition.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 117
I can't wait for this one, or the "Special Edition" that will come out 6-12 Months later
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike said they will come out simultaneously.

I hope so, I am glad I waited on Ghost Reveries. Though I did just pull the trigger on the Still Life special edition.....I can't help it, Opeth is just too good for me to pass up!
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 117
Oooohhh... nice cover. I love Opeth's logo.

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 117
What the fudge guys, I read an article that says he heard the album and says its awesome, if its ready then why cant they get it out the door already, I really wanted to listen to this before the tour.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope so, I am glad I waited on Ghost Reveries. Though I did just pull the trigger on the Still Life special edition.....I can't help it, Opeth is just too good for me to pass up!
biggrin.gif

Please report back on the quality of the remastered version. I'm thinking about getting this also but not sure if the remastered version is worth the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back