Opeth - Damnation
Aug 7, 2007 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Who's with me? This is the first Opeth CD I'd heard. I know that the rest of their stuff is harder, but this album is the one that I think could be an all-around, Head-Fi crowd pleaser.

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 19
Deliverance was the first Opeth song I ever heard. Well actually that's not true, I heard April Ethereal on an earlier occasion but didn't ask who it was. The long outro on Deliverance blew my mind though, for some reason and I had to get more of their stuff.

I haven't listened to them in a while (since high school), but I think I will put some on right now. The metal-heads always put down Damnation but I think it's a real solid album that anyone can appreciate.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 19
I also heard Damnation as my first Opeth album and quite liked it. I remember previously thinking that I didn't like Opeth. I looked up Opeth and this album a bit on these forums and found out that a lot of people "put down" this album. I did download another album of theirs since then though and have grown to like it, although I'm still not really a fan of growling.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 19
I love Damnation and am proud that Opeth took the non-distorted concept all the way through. They've always had such beautiful, mellow, clean electric guitar tones and this album is full of them (I almost went out and bought a Laney amp!).

One of the coolest parts is that where a huge distorted part would normally enter, the music takes a different direction. The largest build-up on the album results in one semi-distorted power chord, and then that's it--some of the only distortion on the album.
biggrin.gif

The variety and production of Blackwater Park got me into Opeth, but I might rank Damnation as their most consistent album. It's certainly a great starter album for those who aren't normally into music with this atmosphere, just as Opeth is a great starter band for those who aren't normally into black metal.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's with me? This is the first Opeth CD I'd heard. I know that the rest of their stuff is harder, but this album is the one that I think could be an all-around, Head-Fi crowd pleaser.

Certainly by far most mainstream work by them so yes a "crowd pleaser", sounds similar to King Crimsom at times with all the mellotron.........also recent album "ghost reveries" is fairly mainstream but does have Opeth revisiting thier past musical roots at times with more metal sounds used.

If you like Porcupine Tree you will like "damnation" but Opeth's Orchid -> Deliverance work may not be for you since it is much more extreme metal with distorted vocal technique used

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 19
Opeth is quite a good album. Saying Damnation would be a HeadFi crowd pleaser is pretty generalistic :p

Laney is to Marshall as Squier is to Fender.

Nothing beats Orchid for me. First album I heard (heard Godhead's Lament and sought it out). I'll be interested to hear what they do on the new album with the new guitarist. ie: as Opeth loses one more of it's 'classic' lineup members, I wonder how the sound will change. First Lopez, now Peter.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laney is to Marshall as Squier is to Fender.

Aww, in what way? Laneys are difficult to find around here, so I've never had the opportunity to try one. They don't have much of a reputation in the U.S.

I really like Opeth's guitar tone and have read in their studio diaries that Laneys were often used... They don't sound much like Marshalls to me.
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly by far most mainstream work by them so yes a "crowd pleaser", sounds similar to King Crimsom at times with all the mellotron.........also recent album "ghost reveries" is fairly mainstream but does have Opeth revisiting thier past musical roots at times with more metal sounds used.

If you like Porcupine Tree you will like "damnation" but Opeth's Orchid -> Deliverance work may not be for you since it is much more extreme metal with distorted vocal technique used

Totally agree with DarkAngel on this. I like PT and these are the two (relatively mainstream) Opeth albums in my collection. Good stuff - time to take tonight's (yes it is night here ATM) jazz off and get rocking!
lambda.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 19
I think everything Opeth has done has been quality work. Damnation, while not my favorite by any means, is still a good CD. I dont really think Opeth has gone 'mainstream' or sold out or any of that. From what I've seen of them and heard from them in interviews and what not, they are/were a band that likes to evolve and push themselves to the next level, never stagnating. It even shows within the music itself with all the textures and changes within each song. Some people might see their evolution from the early works to Ghost Reveries as a sort of dumbing down. I couldnt disagree more. Ghost Reveries is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. And could possibly be the pinnacle of their work considering it will be the last CD with the core members. Like it or not, there's no denying the musicianship, creativity, and complexity of the album through and through. It just flows. Almost like it was all written for them and all they had to do was play it.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 19
Damnation is one of my favourite Opeth pieces, and one of the more well-thought out and well-rounded albums of theirs. It took me a very long time of listening to come to this conclusion, because at first only one song really stuck out, then after repeated and repeated listens I was able understand the greatness of the majority of songs on the album, with track 7 'Ending Credits' being the only 'out of place' song, but a pleasing song nonetheless.

This will appeal to a wider audience, but then again the wider audience may not completely understand the darkness within the album. It is definitely there, it is just a lot more subtle than the other albums. This also includes spectacularly dark and evil lyrics.

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 19
I really enjoy "Windowpane" and "In My Time of Need," but I often lose interest after that. "In My Time of Need" is an amazing song, from start to finish, though.

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Damnation is a beautifully depressing album. It does not have as much staying power as the heavier ones, but it goes great with some moods. I would say that a good 90 percent of Head-fi would like this album, as it is very accessible. Only the people who couldn't get into more depressing themes would be put off by this.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 19
to be honest, Damnation is the meaning of mediocre. they should just stick to what they do best.

if you want some awesome metal-band-gone-acoustic music, go get The Acoustic Verses by Green Carnation.

edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Damnation boring to a degree rivaled only by the atrocity that was Deliverance. It does have a few good moments, though.

it seems i agree with you on metal-related matters a lot!

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 19
It's a pretty good album, and I'm glad I saw them when they toured for that album, but Blackwater Park is definitely an all-round better album. Damnation is good for introducing people to harder music (not that Opeth does much really heavy or hard music, but still).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back