Opera 10 has landed!
Sep 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Works for me, just drag the bar outside of the opera window.

Ah right looks like I really was sleeping or something
wink.gif

Can you drag them into another window? And can you drag them and alt-tab to another window to chuck them into?

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 36
How's the flash plugin speed? It was glacially slow in opera 9. And 8. And 7. And 6. 5 didn't have flash working.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a long time in development, but I feel that it was well worth it. A good bit faster, a redone graphical interface, and other things.

Try it, you may like it. There's enough changes between the old one and the new one that you may find this new one fits like a glove!

Download:
Opera Browser | Faster & safer Internet | Free Download

yep i downloaded too , very fast and very beautifull browser ^_^

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #22 of 36
Good to see so many other Opera users on head-fi. I was using the beta until yesterday. Finally, v10 is official. I think the interface is even cleaner than 9.63. I like it fine. The tab thumbnails are kinda useless as they take up valuable screen estate, but the unchecked tab markers are great. Definitely the most usable browser out-of-the box and zippy, too. Turbo mode does wonders for those slow wifi connections. Love Opera Link, too - indispensable for multi-computer users. Also, opera is incredibly stable. I've been using it since Opera 6 on all of my machines and I can literally count the crashes I've had on my fingers, which can't be said for FF or IE.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 36
It's nice and zippy and all that, but I still prefer Safari, even thought it's significantly slower.
I've never been such a big fan of tabs, always preferred separate windows so that when I press F10 or drag the mouse up to upper left I get to see all the windows simultaneously, and then click the one I want to get to. Or just toggle myself through with Command+<.
When I open a new window in Opera it opens as a little window, and I have to maximise it manually, is the there a way I can make it open in full screen? Alternatively, is there a hotkey for toggling between tabs?
Plus, I miss the way bookmarks is arranged in safari. The same hotkeys work (Command+1,2,3…), but to have all the bookmarks visible like that was very practical. An other thing, when at forums the threads you have checked out don't get 'de-bolded', is there a way to fix this?

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I open a new window in Opera it opens as a little window, and I have to maximise it manually, is the there a way I can make it open in full screen? Alternatively, is there a hotkey for toggling between tabs?
Plus, I miss the way bookmarks is arranged in safari. The same hotkeys work (Command+1,2,3…), but to have all the bookmarks visible like that was very practical. An other thing, when at forums the threads you have checked out don't get 'de-bolded', is there a way to fix this?

The only way to make a new window always open full-screen AFAIK is to resize it manually (not maximize) so that it will start out same size the next time. Not sure if this works on a mac.

Also, pressing Ctrl+tab in opera brings up a list of all your open tabs so you can toggle between. Ctrl+shift+tab toggles in reverse order. If you just want to browse your tabs sequentially, ctrl+F6 or control+shift+F6 will do so in forward or backward order.

As for threads not getting de-bolded, I have never had that problem with opera. If I had to guess I'd say its something in your cookie settings preventing them from being set correctly.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 36
one nice added value of tabs is that if -for whatever reason- your system crashes, you just reopen Opera or FF and you're back in business.

impossible w/ separate windows I think....and it doesn't cloak your taskbar of course.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 36
I had tried older Opera versions and promptly uninstalled it in no time flat because frankly, those older versions were not comparable to the competition at the time.

But I've tried Opera 10 and was VERY pleasantly surprised--it works quite well and unlike previous versions, web pages actually render surprisingly correctly, too.
normal_smile .gif
(This is even true of ESPN.com, a notorious hard to render page with older web browsers.)

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I've tried Opera 10 and was VERY pleasantly surprised--it works quite well and unlike previous versions, web pages actually render surprisingly correctly, too.
normal_smile .gif
(This is even true of ESPN.com, a notorious hard to render page with older web browsers.)

That in itself is a testament to how poorly written the pages of the web actually are. Opera is, and has almost always been, the most standards-compliant browser. However, most of the web is written for IE and the code is always 'adjusted' to work properly with IE and other non-compliant browsers. From a technical standpoint, this results in 'broken' code, which opera doesn't always render as the designer intended.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #29 of 36
I gave it a good run yesterday. I like the interface, but it has a couple of flaws that kill it for me: Some sites still don't render properly, and 1Password wont work with it.

Safari 4 in Snow Leopard appears to be the speed king, by the way.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave it a good run yesterday. I like the interface, but it has a couple of flaws that kill it for me: Some sites still don't render properly, and 1Password wont work with it.

Safari 4 in Snow Leopard appears to be the speed king, by the way.

Then it's time for me to upgrade to SL it seems. Opera 10 is very nice, but there seems to be a few glitches when running on Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back