Open unamped headphones with decent bass for around $200?
Apr 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dngkgk999

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I initially had the HD-25s and loved it, but the headphone started fatiguing me too much so I sold it and bought an open can, the senn HD-598.

The senns are sublime in everything...except the neutral bass. It wasn't bad or anything, but recently my music taste has been shifting towards more bassier music (electronica dubstep etc) and the sounds been pretty tepid of late, so I'm looking for a change. Pretty much looking for the best of both worlds here - combining the non-fatiguing structure of an open headphone and solid bass (without overly compromising the mids etc).

So to sum it up, I'm looking for a headphone that would be...

- Open can 
- Used without an amp, most likely straight out of a laptop
- Around 200 (give and take 50~100 i guess)
- Geared towards electronic/bassy music (but also very capable of running ambient or metal)

Grateful for your time!

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
So to sum it up, I'm looking for a headphone that would be...

- Open can 
- Used without an amp, most likely straight out of a laptop
- Around 200 (give and take 50~100 i guess)
- Geared towards electronic/bassy music (but also very capable of running ambient or metal)

Grateful for your time!

Ultrasone HFi-2400

Worth the extra $42 bucks all day

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Well how fatiguing is the D2000? Honestly if its more or less the same as the HD25s, while I'd appreciate the sound I dont think I'd appreciate the fatigue for long.

Also what's this whole EQ business that the D2000 is supposed to need?

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Ultrasone HFi-2400

Worth the extra $42 bucks all day

I was actually curious about how the HFI 2400s stacked up against the D2000s. Even though the 2400s are open, is the bass impact/extension at all comparable? 

As for the D2000s...I really didn't have to EQ much for me to like them. All I really did was tone down the higher frequencies around 6-10kHz a bit to alleviate some harshness I heard.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Well how fatiguing is the D2000? Honestly if its more or less the same as the HD25s, while I'd appreciate the sound I dont think I'd appreciate the fatigue for long.

Also what's this whole EQ business that the D2000 is supposed to need?

I don't find the d2k fatiguing at all. They have just a touch of bright to the treble, but not enough for me to even have to EQ them. They are not as bright as Beyers IMO

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I was actually curious about how the HFI 2400s stacked up against the D2000s. Even though the 2400s are open, is the bass impact/extension at all comparable? 

As for the D2000s...I really didn't have to EQ much for me to like them. All I really did was tone down the higher frequencies around 6-10kHz a bit to alleviate some harshness I heard.

I have the hFI2400's and Denons. The HFI2400 is bassier than neutral, but it's not nearly as bassy as the closed Ultrasone models, and not even as bassy as a DT990. The Denon is bassier down in sub-bass. The HFI2400 has nicer mids than typical Ultrasones though and slightly relaxed treble compared to typical Ultrasones. The Denon simply out classes it in all regards, even sound stage to me, honestly.

The HFI2400 needs an amplifier, by the way.

Very best,

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Marveaux I'm just looking at your sig and wondering, how does the HE400 perform in this regard? 

Also I thought the HFI-2400's impedance was low enough to be run without...?

The HE400 is a beasty headphone, fantastic in all ways I find. But probably over your price range. If you can get your budget to $360~400, this would be the one I'd put you on.

The HFI2400 will run without an amp, but it benefits one. I liked it better on an amp, than not. It's 70ohms, so you should expect that it's not fully driven from a low power source like straight from a portable device.

Very best,

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 17
Is the HE400 balanced enough to run other types of music? I did hear those cans being a bit dark.

Also could either of you compare the HE400s with the Ultrasone Pro 2900s? (or 900s since the drivers seem to be the same)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back