Open headphones with good sub bass?
Feb 16, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #46 of 61
The Audio-Technica ATH-R70X claims 5Hz-40kHz response. I've given it bass tests like Hans Zimmer's "Why so Serious" (3:25), Massive Attack's "Teardrop," James Blake's "Limit To Your Love" (0:54) and the intro to OutKast's "The Way You Move" and it goes deep. The bass is neutral, not exaggerated, but you could EQ it to rattle your skull if you want. The response is there.

Needs an amp to sound its best; the $50 VE Megatron works fine. And SO comfortable--doesn't weigh a ton or clamp hard like some choices above.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #47 of 61
Almost 11 years has passed, and the HE-400 in any flavor does not have good sub-bass w/o EQ. Its under the Harman curve under 150 Hz and goes well down under 50 Hz. It has an upper bass boost due to an underdamped driver which makes it sound like more bass, but, its just harmonics of lower bass notes.

Sundara has a bit less of that upper bass boost and goes down a bit better to the lower 40's. That's a better choice at near the same price as the 400's.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #48 of 61
The Audio-Technica ATH-R70X claims 5Hz-40kHz response. I've given it bass tests like Hans Zimmer's "Why so Serious" (3:25), Massive Attack's "Teardrop," James Blake's "Limit To Your Love" (0:54) and the intro to OutKast's "The Way You Move" and it goes deep. The bass is neutral, not exaggerated, but you could EQ it to rattle your skull if you want. The response is there.

Needs an amp to sound its best; the $50 VE Megatron works fine. And SO comfortable--doesn't weigh a ton or clamp hard like some choices above.
They all claim from 5 hertz) And when you check the tone with a generator, for some reason the bass drops much earlier)) for example at 70 hertz.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #49 of 61
Almost 11 years has passed, and the HE-400 in any flavor does not have good sub-bass w/o EQ. Its under the Harman curve under 150 Hz and goes well down under 50 Hz. It has an upper bass boost due to an underdamped driver which makes it sound like more bass, but, its just harmonics of lower bass notes.

Sundara has a bit less of that upper bass boost and goes down a bit better to the lower 40's. That's a better choice at near the same price as the 400's.
Do you have HE400? Is there no buzzer? what if I add a sub equalizer?

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #50 of 61
As title says. Budget is upper midrange (K702-ish price range) and below - although I would like to hear of really good high-end open headphones with good bass so I have something to aim for I guess.

Thanks in advance for responses!!
I absolutely love my Diana's for the sub-bass with more modern and electronic music, especially with the original fenestrated pads; it's not so much that they're outright bass cannons (don't get me wrong, they're definitely bass-heavy), but the combination of quantity and quality (speed and texture) from planar drivers is <chef's kiss> IMO. I haven't heard the LCD-2's, but I'd imagine they're similar in that department. I have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" from there...

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #51 of 61

HE400 has some of the worst (most awful and aggressive treble spike) of any headphone I have owned.

I owned them several times and could never get over that really sharp and icy treble peak somewhere in there. It just ruins them for me every time.

Luckily the HE-500 is so much better when it comes to that.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #53 of 61
Do you have HE400? Is there no buzzer? what if I add a sub equalizer?
Owned two previously plus the similar 4XX. As I said they will play bass low down - say under 70, with the use of a PEQ it could be pretty flat, with a regular tone control or single EQ freq set at say 100, more but not flat. If anyone tries to get them Harman flat at 20 Hz, it's about +8.5 db so you better have plenty of headroom from the amp not to clip the amp or cut dynamics of the driver.

My tip would be to also suprress the mid/upper bass boost to flat because the lower bass will stand out even more once its been PEQ'd. Fixed freq EQ will not be able to do both - perhaps a 31 or more band might.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #54 of 61
HE400 has some of the worst (most awful and aggressive treble spike) of any headphone I have owned.
I agree, I was addressing the bass issue. I used to own 4** cans, but not anymore. Compared to the 500 or the 6 SE - there isn't one - assuming the juice is available to get them to work well.
I owned them several times and could never get over that really sharp and icy treble peak somewhere in there. It just ruins them for me every time.

Luckily the HE-500 is so much better when it comes to that.
Ditto

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #55 of 61
I recommend Abyss 1266 series.
Sure! Let me sell off some of my retirement savings! A discussion of the HFM 4** Series isn't likely to morph into the choice of the 1266 - but it is the King (for bass). Also you have to invest in really good ancillary gear or you won't max them out.

But, up from the 4** - you get the 6 SE, Audeze LCD, DCA E2 - all used, and PEQ'd - is a middle ground.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #56 of 61
They all claim from 5 hertz) And when you check the tone with a generator, for some reason the bass drops much earlier)) for example at 70 hertz.
I have listened with the tone generator from audiocheck.net that goes from 20-20,000 Hz. I don't know about the next two octaves down from 20 Hz, but I can assure you it does not drop off at 70 Hz.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #60 of 61
I have listened with the tone generator from audiocheck.net that goes from 20-20,000 Hz. I don't know about the next two octaves down from 20 Hz, but I can assure you it does not drop off at 70 Hz.
They start to fall off slightly around 100 Hz. The fundamental resonance looks to be around 85 Hz, and they play reasonably flat to about 50 Hz (down just 2.5-3 db), but the bass under 85 Hz is not crisp in terms of rise time and they fill in with bass harmonics at mid/upper bass - like so many transducers and looser bass under the resonance. Bear in mind that I'm talking ideal standards. For the price they are good and more capable of more bass output under 70 Hz than the 650/600. They are down 10 db at 20 Hz vs 1k and down 6-7 db at 30 Hz. Take a look at the ASR graphs from 2022 - questionable conclusions on sound often but good on measurements. Actually just noticed the poor distortion numbers in the bass at ASR - and the +10 db@30 Hz recommended EQ setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back