Open headphones up to $300 for classical, jazz, vocal (blues, gospel, soul)?
Apr 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

JohnD

New Head-Fier
I don't have any chance to test headphones in our small town, but next week I am going to New York city and planning to spend few hours. So I want to define a short list for a tryout.

Budget for open headphones only: $300 or so.

Genres: classical music, classical opera (I prefer voices from dramatic soprano and down), jazz (mainly vocal), vocal blues and close – gospel, soul. Other genres – about never.
I look for tragedy and drive in music.

Source: lossless formats (wav).

Amplifier, etc.: will buy after headphones, I think that headphones will define the path.

So I will take with me: St. Matthew Passion (Bach), Symphony #40 (Mozart), where I look for the second part to sound as perfect as the first, Aretha Franklin, Jessye Norman, "Evening" from "Count Basie at Newport" (I hate other versions), "Hit the Road Jack" by Ray Charles, "Old Fashion Morphine" by Jodie Holland.

I want as much quality from these records as I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 47
For your budget and music preferences I'd recommend the d880s. They are pretty neutral, very detailed, great soundstage and separation. They excel with classical. Will you be using an amp?

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to share your source? What will be feeding the new headphones?

Initial point is my computer. About other auxiliary components I will ask here after when have headphones in my hands. After browsing this forum for few minutes I built an impression that different headphones require different stuff.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amplifier, etc.: will buy after headphones, I think that headphones will define the path.

Looks unamped at the moment.

I second Reb's suggestion, but even the Beyerdynamic DT880s will be less than satisfying without an amp.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 47
I know it's a standard suggestion, but you'll probably like the HD600/HD650.
And DT880 might do well too.

I read it as 'amp follows'

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, definitely.

Then go for the dt880. If you like a warmer sound, the hd600 is a very good choice, but it needs a juicy amp.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 47
Looks like HD650 is outside of my budget.

As of DT880 I see PRO and non-PRO versions as well as 80ohms and 250ohms (total 4 choises). What are your recommendations?

I am browsing this forum now and I see that for classical music there are recommendations of Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 and AKG K601. Are they worth to consider or they too light for my preferences?

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 47
if vocals are important for you I would not go with the dt880. It's a fantastic phone for chamber music, but it's a bit too cold in the midrange to do full justice to Aretha Franklin or Jessye Norman, not to mention St Matthew's evangelist. The best headphone for vocals in your price range is IMO AKG K340, especially if you can find one recabled, or you are willing to recable it yourself (pretty straightforward).
If you want to buy new in your NY trip, I would go with either HD600 or AKG K701. They are both great phones. You can probably try them both at J&R but I doubt you will be able to appreciate their (subtle) sonic differences with a quick audition in that huge shop. At least you would know which one fits best your head/ears...

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 47
Track down an AKG K-501. You won't find any better open headphone short of the K-1000. Read through the reviews and opinions on the K-501; they're perfect for your music.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 47
I would agree the K501 is your best choice. But it has been didiscontinued for awhile and lately has proven difficult to find used. It is also very difficult to drive properly. It was not unitl I replaced the Meier Corda Opera with the Luxman P1 that I discovered how truly sweet these cans truly are. However, if you can find one and intend to get enough amp to drive it, this is the can for the music you listed.

I have had the K601 on an extended loan. The midrange is short of the K501 but it has much deeper and fuller bass. I has a very organic sound. Although I consider the K601 a much better all genre can, I prefer the DT880 for the music the OP mentioned. I find the midrange slightly recessed, but overall I find them more neutral than the K601. YMMV.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 47
I'm gonna have to agree with the K501 suggestion. I also have to agree that you'll need an amp for them to shine. I have a K500, which supposedly sounds very similar to a K501; when I listen out of my laptop and portable, I can hear very severe clipping. They are a bit difficult to find, but they do show up if you're patient enough.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 47
Arrrg... Uncle Erick always beats me with the K501 recommendation.
evil_smiley.gif

You won't be disappointed with either H600s or K501s but I would say if you're more into vocals and prefer warmer sound, go for HD600, or if you prefer wider soundstage and more apparent instrument separation, go for K501s.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 47
JohnD, it looks like you'll be buying both headphones and amp. Is that right? If so, what's your target total budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back