Open headphone with impactfull character
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bio-Rhythm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a full size open (or semi open) headphone (prefer neutral to slight V signature ) that's known to have a quite impactful bass, for an open headphone . It's known (laws of physics) that good quality closed headphones do have better results at producing the more immediate impact of drums, compared to open headphones (since good quality closed headphones can achieve a higher force of pressure wave on the ear drum due to the air being in a more sealed environment).

I listen to many different genres of electronic/percussion music (hence the desire for a good kick drum reproduction). As a point of reference I have the Audio-technica ATH-MSR7 (closed back) which produce are more satisfying "kick drum" experience than any open headphones I've tried to date ( including several mid price open back headphones like Sennheiser’s HD 660 S, beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro , Sine DX).

To clarify, I'm not wanting a "bass head" headphone. I'd prefer a more towards neutral open headphone that is known to have a "surprisingly natural sounding mid bass impact for a open headphone". I will also consider a semi open hybrid headphone.

* open / semi open.
* mid price budget.
* ideally a low impedance so it can be driven by a portable DAP.
* Lightweight and comfortable.
* Replaceable parts.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 11
I would recommend you look into something like an HE500 (used). Outstanding bass. You'll need a meaningful amp. If you want to spend less, you might look at an HD58X. It could possibly work as well. I think it is going to be hard to find what you want in something that does not require a dedicated amp--FWIW. Just my take and YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 11
I would recommend you look into something like an HE500 (used). Outstanding bass. You'll need a meaningful amp. If you want to spend less, you might look at an HD58X. It could possibly work as well. I think it is going to be hard to find what you want in something that does not require a dedicated amp--FWIW. Just my take and YMMV.

Thanks for that.Yup I know I'm not going to find a open headphone that gives the impact of a closed ( all things being equal). So I'm focused on just finding the open/semi open headphone that may have a slight edge in the impact area than others. Worth an ask anyways.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 11
I have had many open back headphones and if you want kick drums with impact, you need the LCD2C. I have been listening to quite a lot of my music on these and the standout feature has been that very satisfying kick drum. For me personally I would like to EQ a wee bit in the bass, I'm a bit of a basshead. However LCD2C does strike an amazing balance between tight, textured bass that can slap you at times.

Note: I'm just mentioning. ^^

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Audition the Elear if you can. Of the following it definitely falls within the 1st and 3rd points, perhaps the 2nd (depending on your definition of mid price) and 4th. As for the 5th, depends what you want to replace (limited to ear pads).

* open / semi open.
* mid price budget.
* ideally a low impedance so it can be driven by a portable DAP.
* Lightweight and comfortable.
* Replaceable parts.

And to quote from the headfonia review:

"On that note, I defy you to find me an open-backed dynamic headphone that does deeper, because I have yet to hear one. The bass is also extraordinarily clean and textured. Some planars around the thousand dollar mark might have the edge in terms of depth and detail, but for a dynamic driver, you will be hard pressed to find better. Honestly, for any headphone, you will be hard pressed to find a better bass presentation. It is about as close to perfect as I have any right to expect."

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 11
I just purchased the HE-4XX .. I heard it has good impact in the bass region.
I'll get back to you once I find out. ^-^

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks guys for the interesting suggestions some of which were headphones that I hadn't heard of before. I'll do a little research on the aforementioned headphones , inc any more suggestions and I will try to remember to reply back when I've made my choice and when I finally get to hear them.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi,

I decided to buy a headphone based on the frequency response I knew I wanted ( and of course that other variables were within certain limits.e.g. Distortion etc) . By comparing the published (by various people,ThX) sound signatures of the open headphones I had already heard (mentioned in the first post) I knew what shape of frequency response I wanted. Whilst the LCD 2's and Elear's headphones (recommended in this post did match that response their price was a little high for my budget.

The image below is for the Frequency response of the Philips Fidelio X2 compared to the X1 ( it's been incorrectly titled 'ATH-xxx', though the key on the right displays what each colour line represents.

iur

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2-measurements

As can be seen from the line graph the X2 has a low frequency 'bump' peaking between approx 60-70 Hz. So what does this mean in subjective experience terms. It means that the X2 is a open headphone that objective measurements show increases the dB in the low-mid frequency range compared to some other headphones. In other words not as "balanced" a sound signature in that frequency region compared to the Sennheiser HD6XX's,for an example. However, for genres of music that have a foundational sub-mid bass frequency ( e.g. percussive electronic music genres like House music) this "bump" means that the X2's are, to date, the only open headphones I have heard (besides the Hifiman's 400i's (first or second version I don't recall) that sufficiently reproduce that characteristic,bass and kick drum feature that many electronic genres of music are known for. (music that is quite often mastered on monitor speakers and or with closed back headphones).

So my lesson learnt, If you can't use your ears by testing every headphone your interested in,then trust the measurements. People whom tend to want to give their subjective opinion may be the types of people whom ignore thus usually don't comprehend the merits of objective measurements.Also people may have different musical tastes to you thus don't understand that their ideal headphone ( e.g. for classical or rock music) isn't sufficient at delivering the characteristics essential for other genres of music.

Note; The Philips Fidelio X2 is comparably a big headphone (50 mm drivers), though very comfortable .Since looks are a factor in choosing the right headphone for some, people may want to consider this . Also being a open design it has very little noise isolation from the external engine noise racket all those "audiophiles" make in cities :wink: ( Do I lie?. don't hate the messenger :frowning2:). Furthermore, all the headphone reviews of the X2 I read didn't mention that there was a slight level of noise conductance from the headband whilst moving ( even a slow walk). I presume these headphone reviewers don't listen to the genres of music that really move them that much.Though the hand-band conductance is in no way as loud as the creaky Audio-technica ATH-MSR7's headband ( actually where the ear cups pivot I think). Fortunately the X2's headband conductance issue is fixable by using a little insulation tape.

Addition: whilst a few reviewers have stated that the X2's need a "high quality" (and expensive) amplifier to really "shine", the X2's are rated at 32 Ohms, thus comparably easy to drive headphones thus "shine" perfectly well from a decent quality personal digital audio player or and mobile phone with a good quality audio output. Also the general build quality is excellent. Though it comes with a 3 meter detachable cable the headphone takes a 3.5 mm standard stereo audio jack so can be easily replaced.

It would be very impressive if the same sound characteristic of the X2 could still be produced whilst reducing the headphones form factor. Probably not possible with the ear cups circumference due to the 50 mm drivers, though maybe the depth of the cups. The headband could certainly be reduced in form factor if a more personalized version was available, though I understand that manufacturers need to come up with a design that will fit a wide range of head sizes.

If people have some vested interest (invested money, looks,sales.e.g. self esteem/ego) in an object such as a headphone, this creates a subjective belief bias (cognitive bias). The majority of people are not scientifically minded,Furthermore my personal anecdotal evidence (not proof but a testable hypothesis) would suggest that even out of those that are scientifically trained, many tend to harbor other non science based irrational dispositions,i.e. hear and believe what they want to hear and believe when their personal esteem is at stake.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 11
With the right cable my Philips Fidelio X1 is a good shout. whether it fits your parameters though I'm not sure as it may be a bit too v shaped for you. It has good sub bass though that isn't muddy or overdone and drums have nice impact, open sounding too. Needs a replacement cable though. Only time I've ever heard a big change from a cable change.

As above look in to hiFiMan range

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 11
Yamaha HPH200. Punchy, bassy, fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back