Open headphone recommendations (HD 600 vs Fidelio X1 to start)
May 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

camaker

Head-Fier
I am pretty new to the higher end headphones scene and have pretty much been limited to closed 'phones so far. I am interested in seeing what open 'phones have to offer, too, now. As background I mostly listen to New Age music along the lines of Delerium, Mythos, Amethystium & Enigma with some trailer music thrown in (Two Steps From Hell, Audiomachine) and the occasional Sarah Brightman and ELO among others.

I currently have ATH-M50s (really enjoy), V-Moda XS (love) and V-Moda M-100 (like for classic rock, but bass can be too much for other genres). My only amp is the Vamp Verza.

So my question is what should I look for in a set of over ear open cans? So far my interest has been piqued by the HD 600s, the Fidelio X1 and to some extent the He-400. Which of these would best complement my music tastes and am I missing any obvious choices?

Thanks!

May 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 9
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3651&graphID[]=3551&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=4333&scale=30
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=EI2GU8nxEsSfyATgvYGQAg&url=http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf&cd=2&ved=0CCQQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNF6WJrD28S4Eo6PqvooLLE1UYNpPQ&sig2=O7j_RQ4hzq9oe8g-oCmDgA

May 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the graphs. Unfortunately, at thus point I am not sophisticated enough to correlate them to my listening experience. Just looking at the graphs, it would seem that the XS would bring more bass than the M-100. Definitely not the case, though. Maybe related to over vs on ear differences?

May 29, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Get HD600s - they have a different sound compared to the ones you have.   I have the X1s and they are fun, but the HD600/650s are a far better headphone.

May 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 9
X1s are on my wishlist as i'm a basshead and the 600s are not only more expensive but also higher impedance (I like to listen out of my MP3 player)

May 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the graphs. Unfortunately, at thus point I am not sophisticated enough to correlate them to my listening experience. Just looking at the graphs, it would seem that the XS would bring more bass than the M-100. Definitely not the case, though. Maybe related to over vs on ear differences?

The graphs don't include the m100

May 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Sorry.  The graphs that you linked do not have the M-100.  I went over to HeadRoom after I looked at the linked graphs and built one with the XS, M-100 and ATH-M50 to see if I could correlate my listening experience to what was shown in the graphs.  The XS looked to be a consistent 2-5dBr higher in bass response than the M-100s.  That was where my comment about the bass differences between the two came from.  Sorry for the confusion.

May 29, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 9

It could be on ear vs over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back