Open back headphones.... where's the bass?
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mvvRAZ

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've tried a whole bunch of open headphones now (most of Audeze, Focal, Abyss Diana V2, Rosson RAD-0, HD650 etc etc)

I'm generally coming from IEMs - some of you might have seen my reviews across the Portable Audio Forums, and no matter which headphone I try there's one glaring issue I find with it... It has this ultra diffused and "open sounding" bass which kind of works for instrumental performances, jazz, rock and the classic audiophile test tracks, but the moment I put on anything that actually has a bass THUMP it comes across more as "pum pum pum." From what a friend of mine explained it's an issue with me being super used to super high pressure bass that IEMs are capable of putting out, so when I try on headphones where you can't really hear any of the bass but can rather "feel" it, it comes across to me as practically having no bass whatsoever

I've tried super powerful sources, super high end ones etc etc - nothing is able to really resolve this for me. I'm currently running the Diana V2 off the LPGT into the Romi BX2 Plus and listening to Jungle's Jungle album (which is an album I love for its bass-heavy notes), and the Diana V2 isn't really able to transmit any of that whatsoever. It does great with live music as well as the classic audiophile tracks and recordings, but Idk... is that the only thing openbacks are really good for?

I've also tried EQing a whole bunch of bass into headphones, so I add something along the lines of 7 or 8 decibels of bass, and I still can't get any real bass presence and impact - once again it sounds extremely diffused, almost as if I'm listening to an IEM that I haven't been able to seal properly

Anyone have any tips of suggestions?

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 35
For open back full-size to pump the bass you want, you need a powerful amplifier with quality performances and quality headphones. Try a Utopia with something like GSX MkII
I’ve got the Diana V2 which has been quite highly regarded, and I own a variety of other headphones but none of them have been able to get me the bass I need. I’ll be trying tube amps next week to see if something does it for me

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 35
I’ve got the Diana V2 which has been quite highly regarded, and I own a variety of other headphones but none of them have been able to get me the bass I need. I’ll be trying tube amps next week to see if something does it for me
It is not about the headphones alone, it is all about the amplifier. For example, many people would call either Stax or Hd800s to be bass light, when it isn’t amplified correctly. IEMS doesn’t have to move a whole lot of air to volumetric to create that gigantic bass. Opened back headphones do, and especially if you are really into the bass, you need something that emphasizes it more, and those usually come from closed back headphones Such as HD820 or MDR-Z1R. Closed back headphones are working on similar basis principle just as any in ears would too

Additionally, you would also want a very high quality sources, such as DAC and transport that is capable of dishing out quality bass, especially deep bass. Fullsizes headphones are a little different than IEMS

What I am trying to say is that full-size can totally pump out bass, you just need to be patient and find the right systems

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 35
I've never found an open-back headphone that provides as much thump and low-end energy as a good pair of closed-back cans. This is a forte of headphones of the closed-back persuasion.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 35
Closed cans seal the pressure of low bass better. If you're after that tactile response, the only way to go is closed-- and preferably some cheaper built closed headphones with a real flimsy frame that will vibrate more. Plenty of high end open planars confidently extend all the way down to the depths of hell with their bass, but that doesn't mean you'll feel it.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 35
I decided to get the HeadAmp GSX mini as I’ve heard consistently amazing things about it. I want to see how my HPs perform in an optimal setting, and from there decide if I want to do a sell off and go to either closed back or return to IEMs only. Thank you all for the input and I hope it can be useful to newcomers as well!

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 35
Another option you might want to look at is Sennheiser HD820, it has the sound of an open back, but a lot of the deep bass you'd get from a closed back (but not as much bass as some other closed backs). A good option if you want more deep bass than an open back but don't want to give up that "open soundstage" feel that open backs have.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 35
No problem with bass impact on my Abyss Phi TC or HE-6. Probably depends a lot in your taste in bass. I want slam and impact, but no to elevated bass and super-no to bloated bass.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 35
One thing you can do is pad swap. Pad swapping my dt990s with Dekoni Choice Leather really tightened and boosted the sub and mid-bass. Whomp-factor increased tenfold, but at the expense of overall tonal balance. Honestly, like everyone else said, if you really want bass impact then get yourself a great pair of closed backs...

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 35
I have a similar issue, but not to the extent of the OP. My open backs are HD650 with a Bottlehead Crack and I find they deliver the bass response and thump level I like. However, when I listen to the Grado RS2e or Sennheiser HD800s, I found the bass to be absent. The sound signature sounded so bright to me, I couldn't listen for very long. I was in a Hifi store listening to Tidal tracks with a Chord Hugo2. I ended up liking the sound signature of the Focal Clears the most with the Chord Hugo 2 and they sounded even better with a Primaluna Tube Amp. I really wanted to like the HD 800 s, but I didn't. Is there a better DAC pairing I should consider to give them a second chance? I have a feeling that I am just not a Grado person. I would love to love the HD 800s because I have eclectic music taste and I think classical music could sound divine, but I need to get a minimally acceptable warm bass response. Any way to do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back