open back headphones that can handle good volume with no distortion.
Dec 22, 2022 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

yangire

New Head-Fier
looking for open headphones, with a sharp and airy sound with no overwhelming bass.
abt the bass, i prefer smtn between dt880 edition and hd560s, 880s have a tiny too little bass, and 560s have too much.
not a clear budget in mind yet, so just leave out everything you can think of that you could recommend (both cheap and expensive).
i have a good amp so i do not need to bother abt how much the headphones need to drive.
oh and also, soundstage and so on, are really, really important to me.

i am new to forums btw.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 13
AKG K701, K702, K601, K501
Sennheiser HD800

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 13
If the DT880 is too little, the Hifiman HE4xx or HE5xx has more, but not going to be overwhelming even with eq. The Beyerdynamic T90 is really what you're describing, the bass is more, but not excessive or bleeding into the mids like the Amiron Home. The Beyerdynamic DT860 has great bass extension too. On charts, look for a bass region that doesn't roll off quickly and extends low, but isn't overly emphasized.

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 13
If the DT880 is too little, the Hifiman HE4xx or HE5xx has more, but not going to be overwhelming even with eq. The Beyerdynamic T90 is really what you're describing, the bass is more, but not excessive or bleeding into the mids like the Amiron Home. The Beyerdynamic DT860 has great bass extension too. On charts, look for a bass region that doesn't roll off quickly and extends low, but isn't overly emphasized.
he4xx was just waayyyyyyyy too bassy for me, more than hd560s. and the he4xx's headband let loose and dropped out and now i just use the cups of those headphones as my speakers lol.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 13
HE6SE V2 but you're gonna need 1.21 gigawatts :D

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. Comfortable, lightweight, enough bass and utterly transparent above. Absolute joy with mine.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

You have an amp, so you're good.

Try Thomann from your country for the lowest price.
yeah the r70x was good otherwise, but very dull sound and also they completely fell into parts in my hsnds wheb i tried to take them out of my hair. 3/10 build. not worth it except if you're bald lol

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 13
yeah the r70x was good otherwise, but very dull sound and also they completely fell into parts in my hsnds wheb i tried to take them out of my hair. 3/10 build. not worth it except if you're bald lol
Welcome to Head-Fi.

If you are used to V-shaped, exaggerated sound, the ATH-R70X is closer to neutral and will not have that boom and sizzle. That doesn't make it dull, only accurate -- it's for recording studios. Sennheiser doesn't do the boom and sizzle either. ATH-R70X claims to go down to 5Hz in the bass.

I have been using my ATH-R70X daily for more than a year, sometimes for hours. I don't know how you got them so tangled in your hair that you would have to destroy them.

If your hair went inches above your head and straight up into the slotted part (which doesn't touch the top of the head), where it somehow got tangled, and then you decided to twist everything completely out of shape instead of simply lifting, maybe you could demolish them.

Never had a single hair tangle, and definitely not bald.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back