OpAmps for the Viper-D2?
Sep 14, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #91 of 126
Yeah, unfortunately I have to leave the volumes matched to move the headphones back and forth between amps to compare them, so the amps were turned on. I've never seen this happen ever by switching headphones with the amp turned on, but I guess I understand how it could happen. Doesn't make me too excited to do any more reviews of the Viper.

I do know that I got over 16.5 hours (almost 17 hours) on the battery with the LM4562 in LR, and LM6172 in ground. I haven't finished assessing the sound yet though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......................................snip....... .................................
I had unplugged my Livewires and changed to a new set of cables that I'm testing for stevenkelby, but when I plugged back in there was no sound. I tested things and it wasn't the Livewires it was the amp. So I took out the 6241 and replaced it with the 6622 and no problems. I then put the 6241 back in to confirm it was bad and I have loud hiss in the right channel and music in the left. So, I put the 6622 back in and listened for a while, then went to unplug the headphones again and this time I got a static spark (case closed and screwed shut) and it killed the 6622. Now the 6622 has hiss in the right channel and nothing in the left.
....................................snip.......... ..............................

If the headphones were removed from the jack while the amp is on, it will create a momentary direct short circuit to ground. Depending on the input signal, it can cause a pretty good voltage spike that can exceed the voltage rating for the opamp.

If the amp was turned off when you removed the jack, I can't imagine what caused the problem.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #93 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict: Any update on how the LM6172/LM4562 setup sounds?

So far it is not bad at all, and is better than stock.

I'm still evaluating it, but it meets my approval with Klipsch Image X10, Livewires custom IEM, modded re-cabled ATH-SQ5, and RS-1. My modded re-cabled ATH-A900 were not quite as good with it the other day, but I was switching from listening to them on my Woo WA6 and so next time I'll try them on the Viper again but without spoiling my ears first
tongue.gif

I also need to try the opamps with Edition 9 and HD600 too.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #95 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoiled my LMH6622 while changing the opamp just now.
frown.gif

Only the left channel have sound.

So I'm back to LM6172/THS4032.

Going to order some opamp soon.

Bummer - I have killed one LMH6622 and one LTC6241 with the D2 Viper, and with my Travagans White I killed a LTC6241HV and a ADA4841-2. I am trying to stick with low power consumption opamps.

After that I put the LM6172 back in ground (near the rear) and in the main LR amp I have tried AD8066 (not bad) and AD8656 (not bad) and AD746 (slightly edgy) and AD8397 (slightly edgy), and settled on the LM4562 in LR because it is smooth and transparent sounding, and not bad with anything. This still sounds not too far from the Predator, but I haven't done a lot of AB with that yet - my 3 kids are keeping me busy as a house daddy.

I still want to give the AD8656 and AD8066 another listen later, to spend more time with those. I also want to try one of my LM49720 (newer version of LM4562). I still have one of my two LMH6622 left alive (and a pair of LMH6655), that I am saving for later. And, I took out my OPA627 on a 2:1 because I was having trouble picking the right opamp for ground that didn't make it too mids-centric or forward sounding. I was surprised it worked at all.

And, I can always revert back to the ISL55002 main/THS4032 ground or LM6172 Main/THS4032 ground, except that sucks power. The LM4562 main/LM6172 ground ran about 17 hours, which is 2 hours longer than stock!

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #96 of 126
Larry...
Be very careful running the 8656! It is a 6vdc opamp. Some can take a bit higher and some just go "pop" with more voltage. I cooked several that way when testing.
Ron

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #97 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry...
Be very careful running the 8656! It is a 6vdc opamp. Some can take a bit higher and some just go "pop" with more voltage. I cooked several that way when testing.
Ron

Right, I remember that now, DAC only for the iBasso D1 back in the old days. I guess I'll just forget about trying that one again. What about in the ground?

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #99 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have any comparisons of the ISL55002? i was interested in the el2244 and the isl was mentioned as an alternative..

Yeah, somewhere in this thread or my mini-review usb dad amps are my impressions. I liked it with the THS4032 as suggested by HiFlight. My impressions are buried in my review thread. (links can be found in my public profile, in the about me section.)

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #101 of 126
The ISL55002 is the highest ma draw of any of the opamps I have recently used in the Viper at 9 ma/channel. The THS4032, while a superb opamp in all respects, draws about 7.5 ma/channel.

For a very nice sounding, very energy efficient, combination, try the LTC6241HV in LR (1.8 ma/ch) and the LM6172 in the ground channel (2.3 ma/ch.)

This combination also virtually eliminates the scraping, noisy volume control that is noticeable when rotating the volume control with no signal present. Many attribute this to dirt, contamination, etc on the volume pot, but in actuality, it is a result of certain opamp characteristics.

The only opamp that I have tested that is lower than the above in current draw is the ADA4841-2 at 1.1 ma/channel. This opamp is currently used in the new D3 Python. Using dual ADA4841s in the Viper sounds fine with darker phones, but might be a little bright with phones that are especially strong in the highs.

FWIW, I find that ADA4841-2, LM6172, and OPA2134 to be excellent choices for the Viper ground channel.
They seem to be compatible with all LR opamps that I have tested.

HiFlight

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #103 of 126
quick question: is the viper suitable as a "desktop replacement amp" with the proper opamps installed? I mean, is it able to drive properly demanding full-sized headphones?

And, in case, which would this opamps combo be?

thank you :p

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #104 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by int /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question: is the viper suitable as a "desktop replacement amp" with the proper opamps installed? I mean, is it able to drive properly demanding full-sized headphones?

A good choice for full size cans would be the LM6172 main/THS4032 ground, also the AD8397 in main works well too for giving more power but it is not as smooth sounding. I have been meaning to try an AD8397 in both main and ground, so maybe I'll try that soon but it wont likely give good battery life. Actually many opamp combos would be good for full size cans like HD600, as long as you don't use the stock ones with seem to put out even less power than the stock Boa (sounds a couple of db quieter with HD600 and AKG K240M and is pretty inadequate stock for 600 ohm headphones).

EDIT - JUST NOTICED THIS WAS MY 5,000th POST! WOW!

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #105 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by int /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am running the LTC6241 in LR and LM6172 in Ground and the amp effortlessly drives any of my headphones.

As much as I like the Viper, I find that I prefer the Decware ZH1 as my "desktop" unit, primarily due to the tube-like sound and the superb soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back