OpAmps for the Viper-D2?
Sep 3, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #61 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surface mounting components onto a circuit board

"To solder something onto the surface of a circuit requires a process called tinning. Tinning is when you apply a small amount of solder onto the materials you are joining before you connect them. In this case, it involves putting some solder on a contact on the surface of the circuit board then attaching the component to the solder pool"

I am completely new to this so please correct me if I used the term wrongly.

Well, that's not the best way. The reason is that if you 'tin' all the 8 pads, the opamp will stay lifted (ok, only slightly) and the contact won't be the best possible. I like contacts not to pass through a solder bridge, even when it's silver/copper content solder like the Cardas I use.

However, if you're a starter, that could help you not to fry the opamp with too much heat from the soldering iron.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you manage to put really a tiny amount of solder...

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #62 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just talking about the sound of the opamps themselves. I heard them in the most "neutral" condition possible, the analog stage of a DAC.

The technical matters instead are... just that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I see. Thats the thing about the Viper. Having an opamp in the different channels affect the sound you get. While the THS4032 might sound rubbish in the main channel, it might work better driving the ground channel. But still, I'll give the LT13XX series a try while waiting for the opamps from Hiflight.

Edit: How do you guys know whether the opamp will work on the Viper without blowing it up?

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #63 of 126
My Viper with Hiflight's kit is in the mail. This thread is extremely interesting for me, so I'm keeping a close eye on it - keep it coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

On a side note, where can I buy the LT13XX series of opamps? (for that matter, where I can buy any)?

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #66 of 126
Godess is a user named "shopper" resurrected, who would get banned over and over as a new user for stirring up trouble in other opamp rolling threads (like in the big iBasso D1 thread) with theoretical blather about bad or wrong opamps that he'd never tried in those amps, contradicting all the hard work others have done who were actually trying them in real life. I immediately recognized his writing style and was sorry to see so many posts get through before banning him again.

Please disregard most of what he just said when saying a particular opamp is good or bad.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #68 of 126
I'm a little more inclined to believe the words of Larry and Hiflight right now until you prove me otherwise.

People like Hiflight and Larry have tried this out in the actual Viper with their own equipment and have not reported any major issues. I highly doubt that they would keep to themselves if such a thing were to happen. Thats solid experimental data and proof.

As a researcher by training, I'm more inclined to believe hard and concrete information than what you theoretically believe is the case. At the very least, one of your suggested opamps has concrete backing. The LT1364 has been reported to have been used with great results with the Little Dot MKI.

I initially listened to what you said thinking that you have tried them out in the Viper before but until you do that and provide some proof, I hope you don't mind me taking your info with pinch of salt.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #69 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poprockjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you really wonder why they've stopped producing the opamp-rollable Viper...
confused_face_2.gif
Just a hypothesis.

I stand by all I said about all the other opamps, as well. I'm pretty sure I know them much more in depth...
smily_headphones1.gif

You do know regardless of what you know, you do not own a D2 Viper nor tried rolling Opamps in a D2 Viper. Anything you say, no offense meant, is pretty useless in this regard since you have no idea what opamps have what kind of synergy (or anti-synergy) in the D2 Viper.

As far as HiFlight and HeadphoneAddict, this is a forum used to share information and pass on advice and learning. They have no need to lie or hide any info about any possible negative side effects these opamp combinations may show.

Now about the comment about Ibasso stopping production of the D2 Viper? That's an easy one. It was only produced in a limited 100 units as a special build, nothing more and nothing less. You can almost think of it as a special edition D2 Boa. It's longer and has less battery life at the benefit of having 4 channel architecture, the ability to roll opamps, and lets not forget the ability to run from a power outlet while using the USB DAC.

So far I gather from your posts that you are nothing but a firestarter or "the boy who cried wolf" when the wolf never was there to begin with.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #70 of 126
FWIW, the THS4032 does NOT sound like rubbish in the Viper LR socket, nor does the LMH6622! They are both superb choices for the Viper as well as many other audio circuits.

If you really want some education on the use of opamps in various circuits, drop over to DIY audio and check out some of the opamps there. (diyAudio.com - audio projects by fanatics, for fanatics)

The folks who post there often have much hands-on technical expertise with audio circuitry, and one can usually get unbiased opinions of many different opamps by those who do more than read the datasheets.

I often scan the datasheets initially when considering different opamps, but only for squarewave response, voltage and current noise, power supply requirements and pin basing. I have found over and over that specs alone rarely define the suitability of a particular opamp for a given circuit.

There is no question that some opamps are more suitable than others, but my ears make the final decision as to whether or not I suggest the suitability of an opamp in any particular amplifier circuit.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #71 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmerlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LT1364 has been reported to have been used with great results with the Little Dot MKI.

Wasn't the LT1364 one of the original opamps in the D2 Viper? I don't remember as I switched out the opamps awhile ago and the original opamps are in a envelope in a box somewhere.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #72 of 126
Yes, iBasso used this opamp as an update in the D1 and continued using it in the D2.

Because of their rather remote location in China, they initially had difficulty in sourcing a variety of quality components such as opamps and capacitors that were suitable for use in their circuits, hence they used some older devices that were available to them

I think they have solved their sourcing problems and are now able to get the components that their engineer thinks best.

iBasso has been VERY receptive to inputs from forum members reqarding the suitability of different components, particularly opamps, hence updating their amps to the excellent LT1364 device.

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #73 of 126
I am discovering one problem with the LTC6241HV main/LMH6655 ground. The sound is great (very much like my Predator) but at low volume levels I am getting less than 7-8 hours of battery life using my RS-1, vs the 15-18 hours I got with the stock D2.

And, the Predator gets me over 50 hours everytime. I know for a fact that I get over 24 hours out of the Boa, but have never tried going longer.

HiFlight - when you were rolling opamps for the D1, I believe you said these two opamps were low draw opamps. Should I be suspecting that my stock batteries after only 5 months are wearing out, or that the opamps suck more power than we thought?

I am switching back to stock to test the battery life, but before I test my top 4 or 5 opamp combos for their battery life (time consuming), can you give us an idea (like you did in the D1 thread) about milliamp draw of these combos vs stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back