Online Funeral in WoW got ambushed
Apr 15, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #61 of 97
If I followed the video correctly, it seems the masacre started by one of the attackers approaching (killing?) the character at the edge of the lake shore, the one whose player had died in real life? If so that was really mean. But I wonder how they got on their video all that was going on in the lake, people in line and so forth, while the attackers were all still just approaching. Did they need a spy at the lake and among the mourners to catch that area on video before the whole bunch arrived? Or does the game allow certain characters/powers to see anywhere at any time? Could someone knowledgeable of WoW elaborate on a logistical analysis and happenings of this attack/ambush?

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #62 of 97
I havent seen a raid slaughter like that since my DAoC days
smily_headphones1.gif
Ah yes, 200 Albions up against 150 Hibernians, and we still got our butts kicked :p Yea, these games are really addicting. I used to play about 80 hrs a week and payed hundreds of dollars in money and items. Luckily, theres nothing out right now that holds my attention. Cuz head-fi is now where my money is being drained :p

About the funeral, thats a really idiotic to do, but the way the people put it together was kinda funny. I laughed, and now I feel bad
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #63 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Yea, I thought it through. Nice condascending post.

I wouldn't attend a strangers funeral... nor would i attend a virtual online funeral for some guy I played computer games with. That's just me.

It was indeed highly condescending, just like how your post was highly condescending to the people organizing the funeral. I don't believe that whether it's right to make insulting comments is dependent on whether the target of the comments is around to reply to them or not.

When is it appropriate, in your opinion, to attend a funeral? And when is it appropriate to charge in and disrupt it?

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #64 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
If I followed the video correctly, it seems the masacre started by one of the attackers approaching (killing?) the character at the edge of the lake shore, the one whose player had died in real life? If so that was really mean. But I wonder how they got on their video all that was going on in the lake, people in line and so forth, while the attackers were all still just approaching. Did they need a spy at the lake and among the mourners to catch that area on video before the whole bunch arrived? Or does the game allow certain characters/powers to see anywhere at any time? Could someone knowledgeable of WoW elaborate on a logistical analysis and happenings of this attack/ambush?

Yeh looks like dude at funeral recording was a "spy." They probably recorded the footage with FRAPS, a program that can do a few neat things. The people standing at the funeral line apparently had no idea what was coming.

A full on organized raid can wipe out people who are not prepared pretty easily. The people attacking were in groups together, getting heals and buffs, and having others assist the tanks (main melee characters.) While the people standing around were probably ungrouped, so anyone of them who could heal and such, was having to find people to target and such, while people in groups could easily monitor groupmates lifes.

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #65 of 97
Ever wonder if the entire thing was just staged, by both sides?

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #66 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey

When is it appropriate, in your opinion, to attend a funeral? And when is it appropriate to charge in and disrupt it?

free food, easy hot women... I guess any time is good to attend funeral.

Sorry i'm so condascending. I should try sarcasm instead : / Let's be friends, I joke.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #67 of 97
Oh come on you guys! All of you that have been around here for a while know good and well that it's very easy to create pretty strong friendships with people that you meet online. I personally have made some great friends through Head-Fi, whose funerals I would most certainly attend if they past away for some reason (I really hope this doesn't happen for a very very long time). These sorts of games are team based, so you play with the same people over and over. If you spent the same amout of time playing WoW or whatever other online game as you spend on Head-Fi you would very likely have some friends that you cared about. We've had people pass on here and a good number of people stop in to pay their respects, so why is it so hard to understand people doing it in a game?!? I've been playing City of Heros off and on for a couple of months now and I know I've already met a few people that I team up with every time they're online. It's not so hard to imagine that in a year I'd know them fairly well and consider them friends, not just in the game, but in real life as well.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but the point is, there's nothing wrong with these people. The internet has simply become a place where like minded people from all over the world can come together and communicate. There's no wonder as to why friendships form. The other thing that many people over look is that a lot of people let out their true person when they are behind the keyboard. This is true of people who are big jerks like the guys that pulled this crap, and it's true of nice people too, like many of the members of this board. This often makes it possible to form even tighter bonds with people then when you just casually meet in real life.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #68 of 97
Personally, I thought the video was funny. The production quality is rather suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out later that it was all staged.

I can see why the people at the funeral would be ticked-off for having it ruined. That being said, I can see why someone would want to ruin it.

I just can't get as deep or serious about an online life as some of these folks. The concept of an "e-funeral" on WoW seems utterly rediculous to me. I'd haunt my family and friends for eternity if they stooped to paying their respects to me in this way...and heartily cheer if anyone showed up to ruin it.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #69 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
Personally, I thought the video was funny. The production quality is rather suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out later that it was all staged.

I can see why the people at the funeral would be ticked-off for having it ruined. That being said, I can see why someone would want to ruin it.

I just can't get as deep or serious about an online life as some of these folks. The concept of an "e-funeral" on WoW seems utterly rediculous to me. I'd haunt my family and friends for eternity if they stooped to paying their respects to me in this way...and heartily cheer if anyone showed up to ruin it.

We're not talking about family and friends from where you live. We're talking about people that he spent a lot of time with that could live across the country or even in another country. We're talking about a quick ceremony to pay their last respects to someone they knew online whom they played with quite often. Why do you guys seem to have such a hard time understanding this? I'm sure that if one of the more prominant members here past away, there would be a thread about it and a large number of people here would stop in to say a few words. If the person were really popular, I'm sure some people would take the time to say a lot. There are a number of people here that I have met and that I consider friends that don't live in this state. Some don't even live in this country. If one of them were to die, I'd sure want to pay my respects even if I couldn't travel to the funeral.

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #70 of 97
I really just hope that my life never gets so pointless that a bunch of video game geeks would want to hold a memorial service for me. I mean, they were all waiting in line to show their respect, like it was real? Wow, I think I need a whole day away from the computer now...

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #71 of 97

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #72 of 97

Apr 15, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #73 of 97
I agree with Jasper994 here.

Keep in mind that this is not his real funeral, this is something that people online put on. I will assume that he did have a real funeral where his family and friends attended. The online ceremony was for people that could not attend his real funeral or did not know him in real life but nonetheless had a relationship with him online.

What's wrong with saying good bye to someone you've spent time playing with online? I've never personally played one of these games but I've spent enough time on Head-Fi and other forums that if a member died (knock on wood) I would pay my respects. I might not have the means to actually attend his actual funeral, but posting in a thread or in this case attending an e-funeral doesn't seem that far fetched.

Even on Head-Fi we often have threats where members here post regarding something tragic that has happened in their lives and everyone comes with kind words and prays, and yet many of us don't know each other in real life. Is it really that hard to believe that people can become close to each other online?
confused.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #74 of 97
Not saying it's wrong to have friends online, or online people you like etc... I do think the idea is pretty strange for having a make pretend online funeral though. I guess it's a role playing game, so these guys have wild imaginations... Yet if they all made posts like on their forums saying the guy was a good guy and they'd miss them.It's ok and normal to express it's sad the guy died, yet taking this so serious in my opinion is kinda funny. Sorry for that.

Yet, whatever floats your boat. I do plenty of weird stuff, just haven't crashed an online funeral yet ; ).

Maybe since this guy was such an online gamer, he would prefered it this way. Maybe he's up in heaven giggling that something like this happened. I actually watched the video, i didn't really know what was going on, but I guess it's probablly funny if your into this game.

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #75 of 97
I don't feel attending this online funeral is less meaningful than attending the funeral of some relative who you met 2 times in your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back