Online Funeral in WoW got ambushed
Apr 13, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #31 of 97
Yes it might have been disrespectful, even distateful, but still, great massacre!
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #32 of 97
I tried to get into final fantasy mmorpg,
spent 7 hours downloading updates upon the first install and ended on not logging more than 15 minutes of gameplay before cancelling my membership.

I just couldnt get myself to play such a game. I just dont have that kind of time and effort to learn games like these.

Regarding the WOW funeral story, yea thats a downer.

Ive also read of people marrying for real on everquest, selling lots of land for $$$$

and read a story a while back about a guy that lent his friends character a rare sword. His friend sold it, so the guy was infuriated and went to the police office. Since there is no law about imaginary property the police couldnt help him. So he killed his friend over the game.

basshead.gif

I dont know about the starving to death thing, is that an urban myth?

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #33 of 97
This was really, really, really funny. Kinda sad, but more importantly funny. And I don't even play that WoW garbage either. I guess the kiddies gotta get it out of their system somehow; on the bright side, we may have just avoided another Columbine.

Apr 13, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #34 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I dont know about the starving to death thing, is that an urban myth?

Actually no, it's not even an isolated incident. It's happened a few times, and usually in LAN cafes. People are so driven to not fall behind, that they play non-stop for days sometimes. And they end up dying from starvation or exhaustion--or both!
eek.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #35 of 97
I'm not kidding when I say the worst thing about WoW is the people. The game itself doesn't have a whole lot of flaws, and one of them is anytime it forces you to in some way deal with other people. The game is just loaded with jackasses and 14 year olds.

Having said that, I play WoW probably about 10 hours a week. I can see how people could lose their lives into the game, and I've resisted most of the endgame content because it feels like a second job (be on time, fulfill your role, bring supplies, cooperate with idiots, do what some jerk tells you, etc.). But almost all of my time in the game is spent playing with friends from back home. One of 'em is my best friend I've known forever and I'd probably be on his couch playing XBox if I could, but we're too far away now, so we play WoW instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 97
*stands up* Hi, my name is Lewtz, and I am a recovered MMORPG player.

I've played about all the online games, with Everquest being the longest, (off and on for 6 years, 2 characters maxed level, played together, with over 600AA each, let's just say, over 400days played).

I don't know what it is about online games, the competition, the drive, the races to beat others, the more little pixels, who knows, but online games WILL eventually keep you from doing something IRL. I played with 2 RL buddies all the time. We would get together at ones house on the weekend, and pretty much play all weekend. We also played during the week from our own houses. They take over. But something is so satisfying about them.

I'm not going to tell people to stop playing, it is their own choice. I had fun and enjoyed playing them while I did. But I also realize I missed out on other things b/c of it. They are no different then someone who plays sports, or watchs tv a lot, or anyone who does anything a lot and has an obsessive personality.

I stopped playing b/c I got bored with them. They started being the same stuff over and over. Also issues with the directions MMORPG's were going helped to piss me off and quit. WoW IS a good game. It has everything someone could want in a MMORPG for the most part. BUT, it is also, just like every other one that has came before it for the most part. WoW is successful b/c it brought people who wouldn't normally play an MMORPG into the world, due to coming from "Blizzard". That name was enough to make it an automatic hit.

Anyhow enough random ranting. I thought the funeral was kinda nice, or the deceased and friends. But also thought the massacre was incredibly funny. Problem is people get to serious in these games. There was a time when I would play 6-8hrs mon-thur,16hrs fri-sunday. But I never let it get serious. I just enjoyed the game, and had nothing better to do, it was my Hobby, and I had no responsibilities.

Get up, Go to work, come home, pop food in microwave, play from 6pm till 2am. Rinse repeat. It's what I did for fun at the time. But I can say, I've been MMORPG free for almost a year now, and have no desire to ever play one again. It's back to TV, consoles, Computer games, and going out with friends 2 nights a week.

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #37 of 97
*stands up* Hi, my name is Qsilver2001, and I am a recovered MMORPG player too.
biggrin.gif

Used to play "UO" = Ultima Online (very, very very addictive) for 18hrs a day for about a year to 2.

Real life got mixed up & realise its just an MMORPG. Then started to switch over to a not so addictive & can stop whenever i like game "CS".
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #38 of 97
So do you build up a character's strength as you play the game? I'm curious if everyone that was killed has to start rebuilding their powers from scratch again. Never played WoW.

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #40 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
selling lots of land for $$$$

UO accounts on ebay. As land are limited to plant houses/towers/castles.
So people buy those accounts as the owner already planted afew houses/towers/castles on the server. Of cos plus pre built characters/gold in banks/equipments etc.

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
UO accounts on ebay. As land are limited to plant houses/towers/castles.
So people buy those accounts as the owner already planted afew houses/towers/castles on the server. Of cos plus pre built characters/gold in banks/equipments etc.

are you telling me that people are willing to pay to cheat on a game?.... is there betting going on or something?

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #42 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
are you telling me that people are willing to pay to cheat on a game?.... is there betting going on or something?

This article might explain what's going on. A small extract:

Sukow discovered that the top seller of WOW gold made more than $23,000 in April, just on WOW gold. And that wasn't even a good month--in January and February the number-one seller took home more than $44,000 each month.

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #43 of 97
online funeral?

Give me a break.

you cannot live your life inside a video game and expect to be taken seriously. I can think of much sadder things in this world beside people doing something like this ... If the people loved him so much let them attend his real funeral. The whole idea is just a bit rediculous.

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #44 of 97
okay, i read the article...understood it less. sort of like a person off the street reading an audiophile review of the Corda Aria. so i went online and looked this things up... it's very fancy looking, and much more advanced looking than "age of empires". by the looks of it:
1. seems like they got lord of the rings together into a game
2. people play this game, and aquire imaginary gold. apparently they give this gold to other players in order to make money on ebay... so it is cheating...sorta
3. i'd much rather spend my money on audio gear
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #45 of 97
The only game I played in excess was Diablo 2, but that was years ago when I had a lot of free time. I remember when dh and I got married some people we used to play with gave us virtual wedding gifts like godly boots and weapons, we probably used that stuff more than some presents IRL.
After playing with the same people day after day, real friendships develop and I see nothing strange with some gamers getting together to honor a friend, especially if he was some kind of leader.

I agree with the poster who asked, why didn’t they defend themselves?

As for crashing the funeral and killing everyone, that sounds like fun too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back