Online Funeral in WoW got ambushed
Apr 16, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #91 of 97
Quote:

the way these games are being explained it reminds be of HS marching bands where 300 people compete as one unit....even if it was an extracurricular we took it very seriously.
i got a question: if one's character dies does the game start all over? how would that work with these large "guilds"?

the band idea is VERY similar. Actually pretty damn good.

The "world" is ongoing. They are setup by servers. Each server can hold a certain amount of people without being to crowded. They also need a certain amount of people in order to have enough so people can interact. I'm not sure the "right" amount of people for a WoW server. At one point a long time ago, the magic number online in an EQ server was 3000. But that was years ago. I'm pretty sure it increased as more expansions were released and room for people to move about.

Anyhow, the "world" is always going on. You die, your corpse lays where you died, you reappear at a certain spot you had setup through a spell, or altar, or whatever.. and you have to get your corpse you get your stuff back. Some games have a way to summon your corpse to you. Some games, you have to be close to summon a corpse. All games have some sort of penalty for dieing. Normall it is a little bit of experiance. Some games have it be experiance and damage to your equipment (meaning you need to get it repaired or it might break).

But no matter what, the world goes on. There is no game over per say.. and there is no end either. That's the draw. Always something to do. Using everquest as an example again.. it came out in 1999. There are now over 11 expansions to it. The "game" is probably close to 9x the size it originally was.

But one thing all MMORPG's have in common, is the threadmill. Plan and simple. This article, http://www.gamespy.com/articles/700/700336p1.html poses the idea that MMORPG's change, due to the grinding of experiance being old at this point. That's pretty much what myself and friends decided, and reason we don't playmore. It's nots the games themselves, but its the fact that nothing REALLY innovative has came out since UO/EQ. Everything since then has been same game, different textures. That's the problem. Only reason WoW is doing so well, is it combines all the current game design elements in a good package, while appealing to fantasy fans ,people tired of Sony Entertainment (makes of EQ),Warcraft,Diablo, and just general Blizzard fans due to name alone. It also incorporates PvP (player vs player) and PvE (player vs enviorment) well.

Apr 16, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #92 of 97
Hehehe, brilliant. Sorry I played WoW and the guilds can whine and moan all they want about how so very awful the other guild was, but chances are the Horde people would do the same thing given the chance. The truth is it's kind of a boring game at times and I personally had several brainstorming sessions to try and come up with something unique to do with the open-ended world. The best was using my Warlock summoning to bring a whole raid of Lvl 1 players into an enemy city, thus leaving naked ugly Horde corpses on their streets.

Also, there are PvP areas and non-PvP areas in the game. The Horde people were just challenging the Alliance to come and do that by having their "funeral" in a neutral area. Not sure what "race" the dead character was but there are plenty of beautiful places in the Horde-controlled area.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #93 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Clearly you're the one who's taking this too confrontationally.
tongue.gif
I'm definitely not hurt in any way (I don't play WoW, or any MMORPG for that matter), and I was just trying to give an objective opinion the topic. Sorry if I somehow insulted you in any way. My comment (despite coming right after yours) was not directed towards you in particular.

I stand corrected, Kyrie. Some of the words you used seemed to parody my response(s). Maybe I was just trying to be a little too clever. My apologies.

K2Grey, if all you gleened from my post is that I'm somehow proud of my short comings, then obviously I'm not as articulate as I generally profess to be. I'm not proud, just another human being...like everyone else here who has an opinion. Being honest with myself has nothing to do with personal pride. It's just easier to accept the fact that I make mistakes. "Crow" tends to go down better that way and doesn't keep me awake at night.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #94 of 97
Budley007, sorry, I was unable to perceive the hidden meaning of that post over the Internet. Your newest post clarified things.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #95 of 97
A funeral in a game for a real-life person? I think these people need to get a real life...

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #96 of 97
Quote:

A funeral in a game for a real-life person? I think these people need to get a real life...

Same can be said from the person listening to their 4gig ipod with apple earbuds towards some of the people around here with $$$$ amps and Stax headphones, for listening to music. To them spending more then $10 on headphones is insane and would mean "you" need to get a life.

It's all relative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back