Onkyo SE-90PCI Sound Card : A review
May 31, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 53
Is it just me or anyone else find that "48khz only" thing worrying?
confused.gif

/JF

May 31, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
Is it just me or anyone else find that "48khz only" thing worrying?
confused.gif

/JF

Those look like the settings for dvd playback, which is in 24 bit 48khz. The pcm only setting would be for unencrypted dvd-a, cd, or any other pcm data.

May 31, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 53
Sorry, I'm a tad confused - you say that setting the output of the card to 192KHz gives you better quality when playing a source file of 44.1KHz? So that is just basic upsampling, which I find never improves sound quality (you can't improve on the source provided). Or have I misunderstood something here? Also, why do you have to set the output samplerate - does it not automatically adapt to the source being played?

May 31, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
By the way, I go to the University of Waterloo, just a short ride from Kitchener!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the review, I live in town too, south side of Kitchener, where did you get the Onkyo from? I'd do a review of it, if you want to lend it to me
600smile.gif

May 31, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Thanks for the review, I live in town too, south side of Kitchener, where did you get the Onkyo from? I'd do a review of it, if you want to lend it to me
600smile.gif

I am in Vancouver right now, I won't be going back to Waterloo until September!

lordgibness : I haven't a clue. It -does- sound better at 192KHz, although I totally understand what you are coming from.

May 31, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 53
Just for the record, my modded 0404 soundcard and my modded 3960 CDP both blow the ipod lineout out the water too
wink.gif
I'd love to have a head-to-head soundcard roundup someday. Lan did a good job of comparing the stock 0404 to the 1212 way back when, do a search and you'll find that informative article. Until then, keep those Onkyo card impressions coming!

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
It can be bought in Canada, yeah. It took exactly 1 week to get from Japan to Vancouver, no customs either.

OK, I meant bought locally as opposed to Audiocubes. Sounds like you had a painless mail order experience at least. Still, I'd think Onkyo would have North American distribution--they're not exactly an unknown company.

I've been thinking of an 0404 or 1212 but this puppy seems like it might fit the bill better. It seems to concentrate only on playback and not all the recording features, which I wouldn't use.

I'll wait for an Onkyo-Emu head-to-head first though.
600smile.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #23 of 53
Right... as I mentioned in the other thread, there was this release date of May 25th. But the card appeared in Japan before this, so I figured it was for distribution outside of Japan?

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 53
I think so.. however, I still haven't seen any domestic retailers for this card.

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy
I've been thinking of an 0404 or 1212 but this puppy seems like it might fit the bill better. It seems to concentrate only on playback and not all the recording features, which I wouldn't use. I'll wait for an Onkyo-Emu head-to-head first though.
600smile.gif

Me too - I was also weighing up whether to get a 0404, 1212 or maybe even an M-Audio Audiphile USB.
That's exactly the potential of the Onkyo card -- a focus on playback only. After all, how many 0404 and 1212 users are actually using the line-in features?

Jun 2, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #26 of 53
I'm a total newbie.

I live in Japan and am in the market for a nice sound card for playback only. I've got an ibook, so the SE-90PCI is not an option. But onkyo also has a USB card, SE-U33GX.

Looks like this:

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/wavio/seu33g...enu/m_33gx.jpg

Some specs:

24bit/96kHz
0.3Hz?44kHz(LINE OUT,+0/-0.5dB)
110dB(USB ?LINE OUT)

Questions:
1. A possibly silly question - if the card is supposedly made for Windows OS, can I use it with Mac?

2. How does this card look on paper?

Thanks!
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by supercub
1. A possibly silly question - if the card is supposedly made for Windows OS, can I use it with Mac?

1. No idea. But given that you are living in Japan, you'd be in a good place to get the answer from the horse's mouth.

2. My advice would be not to look too closely to what the on-paper specs are. The specs you have are also very limited.
There are other considerations.
- Is it USB bus-powered, and therefore most probably with a weak analogue output lacking the power to drive an amp properly?
- How are the drivers?
- how much does it cost?

Maybe try taking a look at more tried and tested options, such as the M-Audio Audiophile USB (I haven't tested it), which has its own power supply, a headphone out, rca outs, and a digital coax out --- or a M-Audio Transit, which is bus powered and has a mini-jack out and optical toslink out. I have the predecessor of the Transit, known as the Sonica. Not a bad device for digital out, but lacks power on the analogue section.

cheers s.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by supercub
I'm a total newbie.

I live in Japan and am in the market for a nice sound card for playback only. I've got an ibook, so the SE-90PCI is not an option. But onkyo also has a USB card, SE-U33GX.

Looks like this:

http://www.jp.onkyo.com/wavio/seu33g...enu/m_33gx.jpg

Some specs:

24bit/96kHz
0.3Hz?44kHz(LINE OUT,+0/-0.5dB)
110dB(USB ?LINE OUT)

Questions:

Thanks!
confused.gif
confused.gif

interesting!! but they don't have it at audiocubes. can u tell me what its price would be in american dollars? please send me private message
thank u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back