Onkyo SE-90PCI Sound Card : A review
May 30, 2005 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I recieved my SE-90PCI this morning, and immediately installed it.

Installation was a breeze, the supplied CD was in Japanese but you just need to click the first link for the Via drivers to install.

When I first installed it, the resampling rate was at 44.1khz, so I upped it to 192khz and tested the sound.

WOW. The sound is AMAZING. It totally blows the iPod Line Out outta the water (and the iPod LO is not that bad at all). Bass is tighter, highs are much higher, and everything seems a lot crisper. It's also very smooth.. something the iPod out lacked.

Is this sound card worth the $179 USD I paid? Totally. It costs twice as much as the EMU-0404, but I believe that it is worth it. I am also pretty sure it outperforms the EMU-0404.. however, I cannot make a valued judgement as I have never tried it.

By the way.. $0 customs fee as audiocubes.com marks the item as a Gift. Shipped straight out of Japan!

Here are some pictures.. if you have any questions feel free to post :).

DSC01080.JPG

DSC01086.jpg

DSC01088.JPG

I currently have the SE-90PCI => Pocket Amp V2 => SA5000, with very crappy $3 cables (RCA => mini). I need to wait for my Gilmore Lite, so I can use some nice RCA interconnects.. will post another opinion when I get it.

May 30, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 53
I haven't a clue.. but I am about 90% sure that it is a better performer than the EMU-0404. For the same price as the EMU1212, perhaps it is worth trying this card out? It -is- specifically designed for audiophiles,
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I haven't a clue.. but I am about 90% sure that it is a better performer than the EMU-0404. For the same price as the EMU1212, perhaps it is worth trying this card out? It -is- specifically designed for audiophiles,
biggrin.gif

not to steal your thunder or anything, but how can you honestly claim that without having heard the 0404?

May 30, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu
not to steal your thunder or anything, but how can you honestly claim that without having heard the 0404?

I can't.. that's the thing. Just .. assuming.
plainface.gif

People say the EMU0404 is 'plasticky'.. this card doesn't show any signs of it at all.

May 30, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 53
No offence, but that is a horrible review, if you can even call it one.

Why even mention the 0404? You might as well say it sounds better than some 4k CDP that you have never heard either. Please just post your impressions based on what you have heard.

May 30, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 53
Changing the title then..

May 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 53
Can you post some more info on it? Pics of the software? How easy is it to setup? What settings do you find sound best? I'm interested in the card, just want some real info on it, don't change the title, change the content, give us a REVIEW!
600smile.gif

May 30, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 53
Setup : Thought it was self explainatory.. just jam the sound card into an empty PCI slot. I modify computers as a hobby though, so I dunno. It isn't too tough.. just slot it in and screw it in!

Settings : Just changing the sampling rate from 44.1khz to 192khz was all I did. It sounds great afterwards.. not like there are any settings to play with
600smile.gif

I can't really give a review.. I have nothing to bench it against!

Software wise.. it comes with this VIA Vinyl Audio Control Panel. Let me take screenshots and upload.. sec.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

By the way, I go to the University of Waterloo, just a short ride from Kitchener!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

WOW. The sound is AMAZING. It totally blows the iPod Line Out outta the water (and the iPod LO is not that bad at all).

I find the iPod line out to be absolutely appalling.
So the only thing I can actually gather from this review is that the Onkyo card is better than appalling -- which is not very difficult really.
Be careful when comparing things to others you've never heard - people read these forums for help on how to spend their money.

May 31, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 53
Okay, so you're saying that - as everybody who's bought an Onkyo so far has not written anything about it - I should just **** and not say anything?

Because if that's what you want, then I can delete this thread entirely.

Sure, I don't have anything to compare to, but at least I'm giving some sort of insight as to what this card is. If you have nothing good to say, then don't bother saying it.

May 31, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 53
Hey, you're right, at least you did post your impressions and pictures so don't take the criticism too hard.

Your only mistake was making any kind of comparison against the 0404, but your comparison against the iPod line out is perfectly valid.

Now, you just need to borrow an E-Mu from someone so you can do the comparison!
600smile.gif

BTW, can this card be bought in North America, or only Japan?

May 31, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 53
It can be bought in Canada, yeah. It took exactly 1 week to get from Japan to Vancouver, no customs either.

May 31, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Okay, so you're saying that - as everybody who's bought an Onkyo so far has not written anything about it - I should just **** and not say anything? Because if that's what you want, then I can delete this thread entirely. Sure, I don't have anything to compare to, but at least I'm giving some sort of insight as to what this card is. If you have nothing good to say, then don't bother saying it.

****? No, no, no, no, no. It was not a flame. Please don't take offence. It's hard to do a review with nothing to compare it to, I was just saying stick to facts. That's all.

The pictures and screenshots are useful. However, I'm one of many people who I think are very interested to hear what you have to say.

In particular:
- Have you got any humming, buzzzzzzing or static on the line? Press play, pause, and put the volume on max... what do you get?
- Do you notice any difference between the different sample rates? Have you tried 44.1 vs. 192?
- You may not be able to compare it to another soundcard, but how about trying it alongside a standard CD or DVD player. Try playing your favorite CD thru the player, and a lossless audio file through the soundcard.

May 31, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan
****? No, no, no, no, no. It was not a flame. Please don't take offence. It's hard to do a review with nothing to compare it to, I was just saying stick to facts. That's all.

The pictures and screenshots are useful. However, I'm one of many people who I think are very interested to hear what you have to say.

In particular:
- Have you got any humming, buzzzzzzing or static on the line? Press play, pause, and put the volume on max... what do you get?
- Do you notice any difference between the different sample rates? Have you tried 44.1 vs. 192?
- You may not be able to compare it to another soundcard, but how about trying it alongside a standard CD or DVD player. Try playing your favorite CD thru the player, and a lossless audio file through the soundcard.

Oh.. sorry, got a bit carried away.

I can answer questions like this, yeah, but I can't really think up things like this on the spot!

- No humming, buzzing, or static. Even with the amp on max (PAV2), there is no imminent buzzing. The PCI card is on the lowest PCI slot.
- I did notice a difference between 44.1 vs 192. When I first played 44.1, I found it a bit muddy; switching it to 192 everything was very crisp.
- I have a Sony 'bookshelf stereo' CD player (which cost me a lot back then, around $399 USD). Plugged into the line out to the PAV2 it sounds close, but the Onkyo seems to be a bit.. crisper (I know I am reusing this word over and over again, I'm not too good with words.)

Sorry about that. If you have more questions feel free to ask..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back