Onkyo ND-S1 iPod dock
Oct 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this says "bit perfect": Onkyo ND-SD1 iPod dock brings 'bit perfect' audio | News | TechRadar UK

Cool - I'm sure they cannot lie and say "bit perfect" if it is like a DLO home dock that takes the line out and converts to digital spdif via an A-to-D converter.

Hi rosgr63,

Thanks for your PM - I will respond now...

I'm sure these will make it to North America soon enough - but I'd love to get my hands on one now and compare to the wadia iTransport
wink_face.gif

Thanks again,

Vinnie

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 256
These folks have the black onkyo nds1 in stock, and they ship to the states: STONEAUDIO UK | hi-fi, home cinema, multi-room, design and installation

Current price with shipping, after currency exchange, is $278.

I emailed their sales team and they stated that the onkyo is bit perfect.

I've purchased from stoneaudio in the past and have never had any problems with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool - I'm sure they cannot lie and say "bit perfect" if it is like a DLO home dock that takes the line out and converts to digital spdif via an A-to-D converter.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when making future purchases.

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 256
If this is same as the marantz, it should be using LPCM. Basically, it's uncompressed digital data, not encoded in any way.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #21 of 256
Sure looks nice! Although a bit sad that it does not support the iPhone.
Already pleasing to see products available here in Europe, while still not in the US. It use to be the opposite...

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #22 of 256
Thanks CherryBomb Stone Audio ship internationally which is good.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #23 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks CherryBomb Stone Audio ship internationally which is good.

Looks like they shipped mine - so now I need to be patient in waiting for it to make it to the States. Hopefully it will fly through customs...

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #24 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure looks nice! Although a bit sad that it does not support the iPhone.
Already pleasing to see products available here in Europe, while still not in the US. It use to be the opposite...

iPhone is not offically supported BUT from some early adopters iPhone does work with dock
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #25 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPhone is not offically supported BUT from some early adopters iPhone does work with dock
smile.gif

Quote:

Officially all products must be approved by Apple – technically, I suspect that Onkyo could not get approval for the unit to be compatible with iPhone due to detrimental interactions between the iPhone's “Phone Antenna” which is located on the lower portion of the handset (the Black Plastic section on the first version of the iPhone) – and any metal object within its vicinity which would act as a Ground plane. This Ground plane attenuates the received radio signals used by the Phone – it would also force the phone to transmit at much higher output powers to overcome this attenuation.

The Onkyo dock does officially support the iPhone 3G/S in flight mode for the reason quoted above.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #26 of 256
Doh!

Stoneaudio could not process my order (something funky about needed to see a copy of my credit card statement to prove my identity with international orders). Screw that, and they would not even take paypal.

Anyone in the UK able to get me one? Please let me know the cost + shipping and I'll send paypal (email me, not PM, at vinnie@redwineaudio.com) - and THANKS!

Vinnie

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie, sure look forward to your Black Lightning being in full production. Of course my next purchase should be the Isabella w/ the dac and hpa, followed by the 30.2. Cheers.

I'm also looking forward to more Black Lightning news as I'm thinking about pairing one with the Wadia 170i that I keep almost ordering. I keep wanting to order it, but am trying to wait for some impressions of the Onkyo ND-S1 first. Any luck finding some help overseas Vinnie? It's nice to know someone with your experience is looking to check it out and share with the community. Thanks for that!

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #29 of 256
Hi Guys,

My UK distributor (AngelSound Audio) is working on obtaining an Onkyo dock for me and having it shipped to me here in the USA. So hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks.

I will carefully test it, compare it to the Wadia iTransport, and also work on providing an option to power it from the Isabellina HPA's internal SLA battery (as we offer for the Wadia) as well as offer an option to have it powered via Black Lightning.

A Black Lightning webpage, details and pricing should be up in just a couple of weeks...

All the best,

Vinnie

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #30 of 256
Any of you guys have any insight as to how Squeezebox or Squeezebox Duet might compare with the Wadia 170i/Onkyo ND-S1 (I know we don't have much info on the Onkyo yet) using digital out to a dedicated DAC and amp? Miguel, I know you seem pretty happy with your Wadia as does Vinnie. I have been strongly leaning on ordering either the Wadia or Onkyo, but recently read up about Squeezebox and it sounds pretty tempting since I have a full Rhapsody subscription and could add receivers to separate rooms pretty cheaply. I notice though that the Logitech website only claims that the Transporter is bit perfect whereas I know the Wadia is and the Onkyo is reported to be.

My priority is strictly SQ regardless of how convenient Squeezebox might be. I know this is off topic but I have had no luck searching for reliable SQ comparisons and was hoping you guys wouldn't mind sharing any insight you might have. The Wadia on the other hand has a lot of convincing reviews showing that it scales really well with dedicated gear and will clean power. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back