Onkyo ND-S1 iPod dock
Aug 3, 2009 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 256

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I was browsing Engadget and saw this: Onkyo ND-S1 iPod dock

It looks better than Wadia's iPod dock. I hope it has bit-perfect digital out.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 256
If it fits the bill i think ill get one
smily_headphones1.gif
. I hope the output and remote are of good quality.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 256
Does anyone know when this will be sold in the USA?

Since this product isn't certified to be "Works with iPhone", I'm not 100% sure the output is really "digital direct" (but it could be)... For example, the DLO HomeDockHD takes the analog line out audio from the dock and actually converts it back to digital (A to D converter) and into SPDIF (optical) - providing the placebo effect & fooling many into thinking that it is a true digital out. But you are NOT bypassing the iPod's dac and you are doing more harm than good this way, IMO.

So once I can get my hands on this Onkyo, I'll test it to see if it is a true digital output or not. If it is, it would be a nice alternative to the Wadia (and who knows how good it might sound?). Looks cool and I hope it is like the Wadia!

We'll see...

Thanks,

Vinnie

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 256
Is this sold now?

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this sold now?

It is being sold in Europe and Japan, but so far not in the USA.

I am waiting to get one shipped to me from Japan. I want to confirm that the digital output is a true digital output (like the Wadia iTransport), and not an A to D conversion from the line-out (like the DLO home dock).

If/when I get my hands on one, I'll be sure to post here about my findings. It is supposed to be less than half the price of the Wadia iTransport, and has more features! So if it really is the real thing, it will be awesome!

Vinnie

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 256
Hi,
I am between the Wadia 170 iTransport and this.
If the output is true digital I'll go for it.
Can't wait for your review.
The price in EU is less than 50% of thee Wadia!(GBP 145 to GBP 345!)

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is being sold in Europe and Japan, but so far not in the USA.

I am waiting to get one shipped to me from Japan. I want to confirm that the digital output is a true digital output (like the Wadia iTransport), and not an A to D conversion from the line-out (like the DLO home dock).

If/when I get my hands on one, I'll be sure to post here about my findings. It is supposed to be less than half the price of the Wadia iTransport, and has more features! So if it really is the real thing, it will be awesome!

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie, glad you are looking into this unit. As I recall we discussed the possibility of driving it from the Isabellina HPA, but the Onkyo is 5 volts so the output of the Isabellina HPA which now drives my Wadia i170 would have to be lowered.

BTW I too am trying to get one shipped but I have had no luck yet.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 256
Vinnie any news about the ND-S1?

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie any news about the ND-S1?

My source from Japan said they were all sold out and will hopefully be back in stock in a month and then he'll send it.

I'll see if any my my distributors in Europe have one or can get me one sooner - as I see it is sold in Europe as well.

Not sure why it hasn't hit North America yet?
confused_face_2.gif

I promise to update this thread once I get my hands on one!

Vinnie

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 256
I'd be interested to find out if this has bit-perfect output. I'm not sure if I trust the press release, but it specifically says:
Quote:

Next generation Onkyo dock delivers Bit-Perfect Audio from iPod players and syncs with iTunes

I'll keep an eye on this thread.
popcorn.gif
Fingers crossed.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 256
Oct 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back