Onkyo DP-X1A Or FiiO X7 II? Which is better?

Onkyo DP-X1A or FiiO X7 Mark II

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #16 of 25
Op is looking for tidal offline functionality. X7ii does it just fine with a little tweaking. I rocked out 2 hours now without a hitch.

I wish AK did offline tidal. I would've bought one instead of the fiio.
I second the AK wish, unfortunately I emailed them ages ago, with a potential solution (after many hours of research, I was pretty sure it was licencing issues, and after many more hours of both research and effort) and they said, (paraphrasing here), 'This is an issue we have no interest in solving, as it's not important' Unfortunately, I think this is essentially confirmation that offline TIDAL will never come to ASK. I emailed TIDAL also, but there was nothing they could do on their end. Pretty unfortunate really, considering I've heard such great things about AK players, and would consider a KANN or something if they just did offline TIDAL. I recon at the moment, the Fiio is the best bet...

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 25
Op is looking for tidal offline functionality. X7ii does it just fine with a little tweaking. I rocked out 2 hours now without a hitch.

I wish AK did offline tidal. I would've bought one instead of the fiio.
Thats fine then. I disliked the x7 II enough that I would go with the onkyo or stick with the Pioneer. I can deal with up sampling 44.1k to pcm 48k. anything 24 bit 96 or 24/192 24/384 native. I also have not seen a lot issues with the new headphone jack. Just a lot of people saying there are issues. Might have seen one or two. Thats why I suggest the op get his hands on the X7 and see if they like and if they do go for it.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 25
Pioneer and onkyo are quite similar. The onkyo dp-x1a has more memory. Everything else is pretty much the same except shape and slight differences in the look of the software.

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 25
Thats fine then. I disliked the x7 II enough that I would go with the onkyo or stick with the Pioneer. I can deal with up sampling 44.1k to pcm 48k. anything 24 bit 96 or 24/192 24/384 native. I also have not seen a lot issues with the new headphone jack. Just a lot of people saying there are issues. Might have seen one or two. Thats why I suggest the op get his hands on the X7 and see if they like and if they do go for it.

Just out of curiosity, what was it you didn't like about the mark 2? I have less than stellar opinions on the x5iii, but I suppose there's a subjectivity factor there. I thought it a bit rich and smooth, bloomy vs fast analytical and sharp sounding. But some folks like the x5iii presentation.

What was the deal breaker for you on the x7ii?

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #23 of 25
My issue is with the software mostly. As far as the sound goes it was pretty good but I could not stand the interface. There is just so much I did not like and I am quite fond of Fiio. I did prefer how my Pioneer sounded over the X7 II but I could get used to the sound of the X7. It is also quite a chunky player. Guess I prefer a wider thinner player vs a slightly narrower thicker player.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 25
yeah, I can see how that's an issue. the software still isn't where it needs to be. Because I use offline tidal 90% of the time, this was the selling point for me. Of course you have to tweak it a little to keep it from skipping, but so far, so good. Not a single skip. I also love the selectable filters - although they don't make as much of a difference as the X5iii did with its filter selection (rather the AK4490 selections).

Thanks for sharing sir. I have another thread here where I'm looking for IEM recs. If you can help, I'd appreciate it. Maybe even point me to another thread that discusses IEMs by sound sig?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/next-level-iems-currently-have-jh-angie.874011/

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 25
I will take a look at your other thread and do a little research on universals. Posted about the AAW tour if you can jump on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back