ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 18, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #16,261 of 16,326
I was really hoping you were just going to say, oh that's easy, just press the forward button and while rebooting and I should be all good to go : )

I was afraid you were going to say the digitizer. I scored two (DP-X1 & DP-X1A), both in orig. boxes, compete and when casually looking at them they looked new & unused but the X1A doesn't turn on (dead) and the X1 has the screen digitizer issue and that battery drains pretty fast with just the home screen. Looking closer at it at the X1, it does look like there's some marks around the screen and maybe not reinstalled correctly and not connected the the cn200 port (I hope) so both are not new. I think I'll order a new battery before I attempt to take the screen off and use that on whichever one works best.

Thanks for the info and reply.

Now I need to find a good source for batteries as the old link where to buy a batteries posted many pages ago is no longer working?

Edit: I found these two on AliExpress, shipping time looks to be around 2+ months on the slow boat.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001355826377.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.38f2397eF85s0c&algo_pvid=069b9607-7e44-4606-9678-2c7eec1ae883&algo_exp_id=069b9607-7e44-4606-9678-2c7eec1ae883-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000015781218463"}

This one is half the price a looks a little sketchier but who knows

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018646852.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.38f2397eF85s0c&algo_pvid=069b9607-7e44-4606-9678-2c7eec1ae883&algo_exp_id=069b9607-7e44-4606-9678-2c7eec1ae883-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"67133515390"}

I bought the 2300mAH model from HSABAT, and it's been working fine - but I don't leave it plugged in to the charger any longer than necessary to get it charged up to 96% - 100%.

Yeah - Unfortunately, these types of batteries aren't allowed to be shipped in aircraft, so they have to come across the ocean via a slow boat.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #16,262 of 16,326
Removing the screen was a pain in the ass in my case.In the end I had to smash the screen to get inside.Getting new screen was still cheaper than getting another unit even second hand.Hope all the manufacturers will follow astell&kern and make the screen attached by screws, if im not wrong, instead of glue like they did with one of their players, but they dont do that for a reason im afraid.

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #16,263 of 16,326
I bought the 2300mAH model from HSABAT, and it's been working fine - but I don't leave it plugged in to the charger any longer than necessary to get it charged up to 96% - 100%.

Yeah - Unfortunately, these types of batteries aren't allowed to be shipped in aircraft, so they have to come across the ocean via a slow boat.

Thanks for letting me know the Hsabat battery works., it's about $27 dollars to my doorstep, the problem is that I'm near Long Beach harbor and they're backed up unloading ships for many months so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes much longer than 65 days that its now quoting me.

Removing the screen was a pain in the ass in my case.In the end I had to smash the screen to get inside.Getting new screen was still cheaper than getting another unit even second hand.

That would suck, luckily I have a good amount of tools for watchmaking and jewelry, including variable temp heat guns and spudgers and opening picks so hopefully I can avoid the same scenario. I was able to find some really good info in this thread about removing the screen and found the old YouTube vid on how to do it that DBaldock9 had mentioned earlier in this thread.

After doing some homework for X1 batteries, I might also buy a battery to power my home audio DAC and get it off AC.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #16,264 of 16,326
Thanks for letting me know the Hsabat battery works., it's about $27 dollars to my doorstep, the problem is that I'm near Long Beach harbor and they're backed up unloading ships for many months so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes much longer than 65 days that its now quoting me.

That would suck, luckily I have a good amount of tools for watchmaking and jewelry, including variable temp heat guns and spudgers and opening picks so hopefully I can avoid the same scenario. I was able to find some really good info in this thread about removing the screen and found the old YouTube vid on how to do it that DBaldock9 had mentioned earlier in this thread.

After doing some homework for X1 batteries, I might also buy a battery to power my home audio DAC and get it off AC.

When I ordered the battery 13 months ago (11.11.2020), it was $26.50, being shipped to Houston, TX.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #16,266 of 16,326
I dropped my player and now it doesn't work. Can I send it to Onkyo for out of warranty repair?
After doing some research myself a little while ago it appears Onkyo has wiped there hands with these NAPS. Also depends on which country you reside in.

Parts are available on Aliexpress, so you can take the NAP to a good local cellular repairman who knows how to fix other things, diagnose the the problem and buy the parts needed on aliexpress for him to install and hopefully get working again.

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #16,267 of 16,326
Hello,

Anyone who has ever replaced the battery ?
Unfortunately after it my player isnt showing anything on the screen, no charge indication but it is charging.
Thoughts ? Dead screen ?
I've opened my DPX1A several times. Never to replace the battery but to deal with intermittent connection in the unbalanced audio socket. I reheared the solder and it was fixed. the later openings were to repair the damage I did opening up the first time

Getting started is scary. I eventually found I could use an old razor blade to start lifting the screen from the body. Once open a tiny bit, you can use guitar picks or plastic shims to ease around the screen until all the glue holding the screen lets go. But there immediately appeared a problem which i only fully understood later. The ribbon connectors between the screen and the mother board are really poor quality. Unpluging one and it may not be possible to reconnect The first time i somehow was able stabilize the two halves at 90 degrees and keep the screen ribbons connected. But the second time i was too confident or lazy so i pulled out both the LED screen and the smaller touch sensor connectors. Trying to put it back together it was clear that the touch sensor socket was damaged. I got both ribbons socketed though it looked bad. But my Onkyo booted and worked fine again. Well for a few months, then the touch sensor began behaving badly. There were places that couldnt be touched on the left side of the screen. If an edge connector to a sensitive touch circuit is not well seated it's no surprise there can be complex behavior like this. So I had to open it again,nit was getting easy but...

Opening it up the third time I could see the socket connectors were even more degraded. I couldn’t find a way to insert the ribbons and ended up with a dead player.
I wrote to a Japanese friend about relaying the DPX1 to Panasonic for repairs, but the price was very high. Luckily a nearly unused DPX1 showed up in NL for €200 euros so I'm back in business.

The ribbon connectors Onkyo/Panasonic uses to build the DPX1 are cheap and flimsy, not really meant to be opened and reconnected even once. If i had understood how fragile they were i might have take more precautions but I’m not sure how. Probably custom tools were required to get around these limitations in the original assembly. I recently opened and replaced the battery in an old iPhone 6S and could immediately see the extremely high quality of the connectors Apple uses. Extravagant for most cases perhaps, but with a quality we could use to keep these great Onkyo players running.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #16,268 of 16,326
Hi guys. I have recently bought the mojo 2 and tried connecting my onkyo do-x1 to it via usb but failed. I’ve used various micro usb to micro usb and micro to usb c otg cables including the ifi one but nothing happens. I’ve tried to go through all settings but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I’m overlooking something simple.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #16,269 of 16,326
Hi guys. I have recently bought the mojo 2 and tried connecting my onkyo do-x1 to it via usb but failed. I’ve used various micro usb to micro usb and micro to usb c otg cables including the ifi one but nothing happens. I’ve tried to go through all settings but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I’m overlooking something simple.

Are you using the stock Onkyo Music Player app?
In the Settings, select the "Select Playback Device", to search for an external USB DAC.

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #16,271 of 16,326
@XVortex is still on the Head-Fi Forums, but hasn't been active on this thread for quite a while.
There's no difference in the Processor, CPU Support Chips, or DAC Chips between the DP-X1A and DP-X1B.
For the DP-X1A, Onkyo added 32GB of internal storage, and upgraded some of the electronic parts in the Analog Circuitry - but that doesn't affect the firmware compatibility.
The Android 5.1.1 update/patch that Onkyo released when the DP-X1A came out, is also compatible with both units (I've got it installed on my DP-X1B).
If you're planning to root your device, you can use the more up-to-date Magisk, rather than the older SuperSU.
However, some of the Magisk modules won't install on the older Android 5.1.1 on the DP-X1.
@DBaldock9, what are the differences between the DP-X1A and DP-X1B? I wasn’t even aware that Onkyo released a DP-X1B.

In your opinion, what would be the DP-1XA equivalent in today’s market? And what would be the logical upgrade to the DP-X1A?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #16,272 of 16,326
@DBaldock9, what are the differences between the DP-X1A and DP-X1B? I wasn’t even aware that Onkyo released a DP-X1B.

In your opinion, what would be the DP-1XA equivalent in today’s market? And what would be the logical upgrade to the DP-X1A?

The weird thing is - the upgrade model (in the Fall of 2016) is what Onkyo called the DP-X1A, and then they referred to the original DP-X1 as the DP-X1B.
As I mentioned above, the DP-X1A upgrades were: 32GB of additional internal storage (64GB total), and some upgraded analog audio electronic components.

When I bought my DP-X1B, in the Summer of 2016, the DAP and a nice ZZOZZ Leather Case were $682.

If I was going to buy a new ~$700 DAP, I'd probably get the HiBy New R6 (currently on sale for $699).
For a really nice upgrade, I'm actually considering the HiBy RS6 DAP, with its R-2R DAC (currently on sale for $1,400).

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #16,273 of 16,326
The weird thing is - the upgrade model (in the Fall of 2016) is what Onkyo called the DP-X1A, and then they referred to the original DP-X1 as the DP-X1B.
As I mentioned above, the DP-X1A upgrades were: 32GB of additional internal storage (64GB total), and some upgraded analog audio electronic components.

When I bought my DP-X1B, in the Summer of 2016, the DAP and a nice ZZOZZ Leather Case were $682.

If I was going to buy a new ~$700 DAP, I'd probably get the HiBy New R6 (currently on sale for $699).
For a really nice upgrade, I'm actually considering the HiBy RS6 DAP, with its R-2R DAC (currently on sale for $1,400).
Appreciate your insight and recommendations! I own the DP-X1A, and I find it a little bizarre regarding Onkyo’s naming conventions as their own website has no mention of the B-version. So weird.

Anyway, I checked my DP-1XA for its Android version, and it’s running v5.1.1 and ran the updater (no updates available). Is there a firmware version I should be upgrading to as well? If so, what is it and where does one obtain it? Onkyo’s own site doesn’t offer a firmware update for this DAP as far as I could tell?

And lastly, regarding improving the sound quality and performance of the DP-1XA, what portable, stand-alone device do you recommend that I pair with this DAP (amp, DAC, etc.)? I’m currently using the Fiio E17K Alpen2 which works well as I leave the EQ on the DAP turned off/disabled (I’m a bit of a bass head so being able to adjust Bass and Treble on the fly with the E17K Alpen is nice).

As an aside, I’m pairing my DAP with a Campfire Audio Vega 2020, an upgrade over the Fiio F9 Pro I was using.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #16,274 of 16,326
Appreciate your insight and recommendations! I own the DP-X1A, and I find it a little bizarre regarding Onkyo’s naming conventions as their own website has no mention of the B-version. So weird.

Anyway, I checked my DP-1XA for its Android version, and it’s running v5.1.1 and ran the updater (no updates available). Is there a firmware version I should be upgrading to as well? If so, what is it and where does one obtain it? Onkyo’s own site doesn’t offer a firmware update for this DAP as far as I could tell?

And lastly, regarding improving the sound quality and performance of the DP-1XA, what portable, stand-alone device do you recommend that I pair with this DAP (amp, DAC, etc.)? I’m currently using the Fiio E17K Alpen2 which works well as I leave the EQ on the DAP turned off/disabled (I’m a bit of a bass head so being able to adjust Bass and Treble on the fly with the E17K Alpen is nice).

As an aside, I’m pairing my DAP with a Campfire Audio Vega 2020, an upgrade over the Fiio F9 Pro I was using.
After Onkyo released the (minimally) updated hardware in the Fall of 2016, they released the ".1" software update, to 5.1.1, in the Spring of 2017. Then they went on to other projects - and haven't done anything more for the DP-X1.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #16,275 of 16,326
After Onkyo released the (minimally) updated hardware in the Fall of 2016, they released the ".1" software update, to 5.1.1, in the Spring of 2017. Then they went on to other projects - and haven't done anything more for the DP-X1.
Ah, okay, thank you for that info!

Did you happen to have any thoughts regarding my previous post about improving or expanding the sound quality and functionality of the DP-X1 with a companion portable device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back