ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #13,757 of 16,326
@MadDane Soapbox speech very much appreciated! :raised_hands: Has anyone opted to reinforce their jacks? Is there a step-by-step tutorial or video I can watch regarding the process? Have others had similar mishaps?

And greetings to you all. :wave: I'm new to this thread and new to Head-Fi. I'm an Onkyo DP-X1 owner of course, and was the redhead with long,curly hair if any of you were at the NYC Can Jam. :headphones:

Welcome to HeadFi. I did the jack reinforcement shortly after I got my DP-X1 after reading about the issues people were experiencing. I've had my DAP since last May and the jacks are still very solid.

The mod is quite simple. I used JBWeld for mine. I cut a small piece of thin plastic (some have used a small toothpick) to a point that was thin enough to fit into the gap between the jack and the case. Use the plastic pointer to put the JBWeld into the gap between the jack and the case a bit at a time until you're satisfied there is enough there to fill the gap. To keep the job neat I used some of the plastic I peeled off my screen protector and stuck it on the case with a hole cut in it big enough to expose the jack. This keeps the JBWeld from getting on the case.I also stuck a plug into the jack to avoid accidentally getting some of the JBWeld into the jack.

It was actually a very simple fix and can hardly be seen. If you do a search for jack fix or JB Weld you should find some post from others who have done this.

Having said all this if you have a newer model it's possible the jacks were fixed and may not require the mod. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #13,758 of 16,326
Welcome to HeadFi. I did the jack reinforcement shortly after I got my DP-X1 after reading about the issues people were experiencing. I've had my DAP since last May and the jacks are still very solid.

The mod is quite simple. I used JBWeld for mine. I cut a small piece of thin plastic (some have used a small toothpick) to a point that was thin enough to fit into the gap between the jack and the case. Use the plastic pointer to put the JBWeld into the gap between the jack and the case a bit at a time until you're satisfied there is enough there to fill the gap. To keep the job neat I used some of the plastic I peeled off my screen protector and stuck it on the case with a hole cut in it big enough to expose the jack. This keeps the JBWeld from getting on the case.I also stuck a plug into the jack to avoid accidentally getting some of the JBWeld into the jack.

It was actually a very simple fix and can hardly be seen. If you do a search for jack fix or JB Weld you should find some post from others who have done this.

Having said all this if you have a newer model it's possible the jacks were fixed and may not require the mod. 

I used epoxy on my first one and have not done anything with my new warranty unit. Could you do a close up pick of yours? My new unit the space between the jack and port hole seem way smaller then my first unit and seems more robust then the first unit.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #13,759 of 16,326

I don't think it should be done by user at the risk of void of warranty. If it is a flaw of design, Onkyo should be responsible to fix it.

I didn't sell my DPX1 even I got a 240 blue note this week. I will get it fix from Onkyo when I'm less busy

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #13,760 of 16,326
I don't think it should be done by user at the risk of void of warranty. If it is a flaw of design, Onkyo should be responsible to fix it.

I didn't sell my DPX1 even I got a 240 blue note this week. I will get it fix from Onkyo when I'm less busy

If you're going to end up dealing with Onkyo JP and everyone keeps saying they aren't fixing things properly, it's kind of like being between a rock and a hard place. 

Through these guys https://buyee.jp/
There are some other sites though 

THANK YOU. I was finally able to order an affordable case! cost only 20 bucks!

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #13,761 of 16,326
Sorry for the multipost, just wanted to tell you guys that I tried the HD6XX in balanced mode finally, and then switch to ACG mode. 

While unbalanced, I was getting about to the 150 range in volume, now in ACG mode I'm at about 120, and in balanced I was at about 110. Not sure if it's placebo, but I really like ACG mode, the HD6XX in balanced mode caused me a bit of fatigue to be honest. ACG just seems to add a bit of detail. 

I was listening to Jack Johnson while I was studying and wow... gotta say guys, I don't have a desktop amp to compare but idk how much better these can sound haha. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #13,762 of 16,326
  Sorry for the multipost, just wanted to tell you guys that I tried the HD6XX in balanced mode finally, and then switch to ACG mode. 

While unbalanced, I was getting about to the 150 range in volume, now in ACG mode I'm at about 120, and in balanced I was at about 110. Not sure if it's placebo, but I really like ACG mode, the HD6XX in balanced mode caused me a bit of fatigue to be honest. ACG just seems to add a bit of detail. 

I was listening to Jack Johnson while I was studying and wow... gotta say guys, I don't have a desktop amp to compare but idk how much better these can sound haha. 

I think ACG has approx. 100-120mW in output.  As most HD6XX go on desktop AMP of 700mW or higher. There is definitely space for improvement.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #13,765 of 16,326

Normally I'd agree with you. That's what warranties are for!!! However I bought mine from Japan and with the questionable warranty service I didn't want to take the chance and wait for a potential failure. Also my situation is perhaps a little unique as I live in small community in Mexico and warranty service would be a major hassle! Doing the fix is certainly not to be done without considering warranty issues...

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #13,766 of 16,326
An alternative to plug/un-plugging the 2.5 or 3.5 is a short, right angles 4 pile extender:

https://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-female-conductor-adapter/dp/B00FHBXL94/

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-4-Pole-3-5mm-Female/dp/B00C4FU52C

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #13,767 of 16,326
Normally I'd agree with you. That's what warranties are for!!! However I bought mine from Japan and with the questionable warranty service I didn't want to take the chance and wait for a potential failure. Also my situation is perhaps a little unique as I live in small community in Mexico and warranty service would be a major hassle! Doing the fix is certainly not to be done without considering warranty issues...

DPX1 was first DAP made me turn away from AK.

Price is reasonable with good sound quality, but the jack issue made me think of XB360's red ring of death.

Even my DAP is still under warranty, it's annoying to constantly send back for repairment.

More importantly I don't purchase something that expected life span is only one year. Frankly I am really frustrated and hardly will buy any DAP from Onkyo.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #13,768 of 16,326
I used epoxy on my first one and have not done anything with my new warranty unit. Could you do a close up pick of yours? My new unit the space between the jack and port hole seem way smaller then my first unit and seems more robust then the first unit.

Here's the best I could do. Hope it helps.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #13,769 of 16,326
DPX1 was first DAP made me turn away from AK.

Price is reasonable with good sound quality, but the jack issue made me think of XB360's red ring of death.

Even my DAP is still under warranty, it's annoying to constantly send back for repairment.

More importantly I don't purchase something that expected life span is only one year. Frankly I am really frustrated and hardly will buy any DAP from Onkyo.

I agree that warrantees could be more customer friendly especially in a global e-commerce world with varying distribution licenses etc. From what I've read in this thread Onkyo USA has been a bit of a pain but do honor their warrantees. I think it's mostly those of us who imported Japanese versions that are left with uncertainty due to shipping costs and time frames etc. That's the only reason I did the jack fix as I didn't want the hassle of obtaining warrantee work. However it was my choice when I bought it and I knew it going in.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #13,770 of 16,326
  Friends, where do you get the firmware ? I have a Pioneer xdp-300r and I can't find the original firmware..

Follow the link one of my post everything is there assuming xdp 300 and DP X1! firmware are the same

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13680#post_13245456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back